Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this the way it's suppose to be?

My second fill went ok although I felt some restriction, I did not lose any weight. I did have full on somewhat smaller portions. Although I do not feel it was a significant difference in portion sizes. I could no longer tolerate breads, deep fried foods, dry meats etc. and experienced pain and vomiting after eating those foods.

I received my 3rd fill on Monday, June 2, 2008. I've been extremely sensitive. I had liquids,Soups and somewhat mushy foods till lunch on Saturday. On Saturday, I ate my first someone solid food. It did not irriate me or make me uncomfortable. Saturday night I think I ate too much and became sick and threw up. On Sunday, I could not tolerate anything more than mushy foods. I'm guessing that I'm irritated and swollen. I feel tight and swollen today. I don't think I can eat again today. I'm hungry.

I'm so disappointed. I feel that I've thrown away $15K. I'm discouraged. Is this the way its suppose to be? Any advice or encouragement you can offer?

Thanks

You sound like you really need to focus on smaller bites and much better chewing. Irritating the pouch is not going to help your cause. You should be able to eat most things (except maybe bread, popcorn, rice) without much trouble if you are chewing properly. Everyone is a little different but it seems that most people have only a few things they cannot eat. Just remember that everything needs to be of the 'applesauce' consistency before you swallow. To me, I just consider that a time to 'savor' what I am eating and it makes me feel like I am still getting the amount of satisfaction from my food that I was always after but without eating five tons of it. As for right now I would say to do liquids for a day or two to give yourself time for the irritation to go away and then be really careful for a few more days.

I haven't had a fill yet (Will on 6/12) But I can eat whatever I want as long as it is tiny and chewed well. bread is the only thing that is almost sure to get stuck. I make sure I cut everything (Even sandwiches) into tiniest pieces and pick at it with a fork. I make sure I take 1-2 minutes between bites and set the fork down. I find when I don't follow this thats when I regret it.

I had my second fill on 6/3 and I have a hard time with a lot of things still. Just remember to eat TINY bites and chew to the consistancy of toothpaste! I can only eat about 4 bites of food before I'm so full I can't stuff another thing in. Hang in there, you'll get it eventually.

I was banded on April the 11th. I have had 4.3cc in a 10cc band. I had ABSOLUTELY NO restriction after the surgery, none, really after my first fill, and only a little restriction after my 2nd fill...and that is only if I really think about it and try to convince myself that I am full. I take that back. I am often full after my 3oz of Protein, but it doesn't last very long. My stomach is usually growling 3 hours later. I am also questiioning if I have the right amount in my band, because there is NOTHING that I cant tolerate. Bread...no problem(don't eat much, but half/a hamburger bun this past weekend didn't phase me...1/4 of a waffle last week didn't either) The promise of having harldly ANY appetite between meals, just hasn't been true for me. I have only lost 10lbs in the 8 weeks since my surgery. I am working out 4-6 days a week with either aerobics or walking for an hour or more. I will be including strength training starting today. I'm not going to lie and say that I have been perfect in changing my eating habits. on a good day I have between 1200 and 1500 hundred calories. I may or may not have ALL 60 grams of protein that is suggested. On a bad day, I may only hit between 4--50 grams of protein. On a really bad day, I might have as many as 2000 calories, but this is still WAAAY fewer than I had without my band. And I try to increase the exercise on the days when I slip. What could I be doing wrong. Is it going to take a Zero tolererance for mess-ups on my eating program. If so, that''s discouraging. If I could've done that, I wouldn't have needed the band.

I have been told by the nurse in my Doctors office, that most people don't feel the type of restriction that they hoped for until somewhere between the 3rd and 6th fill. Any advice?