Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting over

Haven't been here in a while.....Banded in Dec, First fill in Feb, 2nd Fill in March, that's where the trouble began. I was down about 61 pounds. Then I was TOO tight, but kept thinking I was getting sick from eating too fast, too much, wrong food, etc, etc, so after a month of being ill, finding out my band slipped a bit from the wretching, I got about ¾ of my band unfilled about a month ago. Now, almost 10 pounds back, I am going in for a fill again tommorrow. WOW can I feel the difference & know that had I not been working out at least 1 hour daily, I surley would have put more back on! I feel a bit like I have failed, but am going to start with a clean slate & try to rememeber that I still am 50 pounds lighter then in Dec and that it will only get better again.

mnilene

Hey there,

Yes!! You are starting with a clean band slate so look ahead and know that this was a learning experience for you. You learned from what happened to you so that if you see signs of this on your journey again, you will know better. Best of everything to you.

Regards,

Alfie

I had surgery in December, too, and am only down about 45 pounds. I have worked really hard to lose every ONE of those pounds and am not at all disappointed by that amount. Keep at it and don't beat yourself up. Do the best you can, day after day. The defeatist attitude is part of why we're here in the first place. My old WW leader told me that WW is filled with perfectionists...the moment they make a mistake, they scrap the day or the week and have to start over. Let today be your first day and start fresh. You'll get there, though not everyone has a Detour free journey! Learn from it and keep at it. Good luck. I hope you are problem free from here on out. :tongue2:

I'm nearly 3 weeks post op. I've barely lost anything. I've been working out for about a 1 1/2 hours a day riding my bike for about 6-8 miles in an hour. In the last few days I've completely lost my appetite. Yet with all this I seem to be either staying the same or gaining. I don't know what to do. I keep just thinking that my body is in shock and doesn't know what the hell is going on. Has this happened to any of you. I need some encouragement. I'm not thinking of going back to my old ways but it sure would be nice to be rewarded on the scale for all this hard work.

Don't give up on it yet!! If you read through other posts I've put out here, you'll see I've struggled with losing weight at the same pace as the others on here. I started at 304 and have lost only about 45 pounds since December. It's slow, far slower than when I did Weight Watchers...but this time is the last time! I'm finally at a place on the scale that I haven't seen since 1996. Remember that you don't want to start working out for longer than you can maintain through the rest of your life.....I, too, was doing an hour and a half a day and wasn't losing weight. (I do gain muscle mass easily...) With that said, I met with my nutritionist and she told me to 1) increase my Protein and Water intake and 2) workout LESS!!! I'm now doing about 45 minutes a day, sometimes a little less, depending on my week. I lost inches and went from a size 22 to a snug 18 in my first 3 months, only losing about 15-20 pounds. Then, the scale started to finally work with me....

Remember that without the band tightened, you are doing this on your own. Give yourself time and keep at it. Watch the negative self talk. You didn't eat this on overnight, and it certainly won't fall off over night. Celebrate the NSV's (the non-scale victories) You'll get there if you're willing to put in the time. It's clear that you're willing to put in the energy. Don't give up and keep in touch with people on here. They've been a tremendous influence on keeping me on track. We all lose at our own pace.....but, if when all is said and done, I get down under 200, I don't care if it takes me 4 years to lose all the weight!!!

Good luck. Be well. :biggrin:

Thank you so much I find your message inspiring. Already you've given me ideas that could jumpstart my progress. I know the only direction I can travel is forward and that gives me more motivation to stay on this long ardous path. Thanks for taking the time to give me a swift kick in the butt when I needed one! :behindsofa:

Lanejane,

Anytime. I can't tell you how invaluable other people have become when I didn't feel like I could do this on my own. Because I've opted not to include my family and friends in this journey with me, I have to rely on people on here. Also, avail yourself of any kind of support groups offered by your doctor. I find mine to be tremendously uplifting. It truly allows me to know that others are having the same struggles as me. This isn't easy, but the more you allow yourself to depend on others when you're feeling weak, the easier it will be.

Keep at it! Take each day as it comes and consider increasing your calories slightly--I tried increasing by 200 at a time until I found the right amount. Be sure to track your calories AND specifics about what you're consuming, along with your exercise. This will allow you to find consistencies and maintain what works while stopping what prevents you from losing weight. Watch your sodium intake in case you're sensitive to that.....play around with what you eat until you find something that works. MOST importantly, weigh yourself only once a week. NO more.

Have a great week. :behindsofa: