Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from SE Wisconsin that has or is goining to be banded?

CONGRATS!

Finally!!! I was starting to think I was all alone!! LOL

I am looking into to getting it done and I am just trying to figure out all the details. My insurance won't cover so I was also trying to find out a ballpark idea of the costs in Wisconsin. Any info would be awesome!

You are not alone...for some reason Wisconsonites are just not seeking out the Wisconsin threads! I was happy to see somebody out there too!

I was banded by Dr. Chua from Wisconsin Bariatrics, but I went through Aurora Sinai Medical Center's Bariatric Surgery program (insurance required it.) Dr. Chua is very nice, quiet, and patient. He has EXCELLENT credentials, and has TONS of experience.

I live 60 miles N of Milwaukee.

Costs will depend on your insurance. I can't tell you the final cost because I'm still getting bills, but if you want to private message me, I can tell you what I know so far.

Hope you stayed dry in the recent floods!!!

Hi Bridgett & Lizalee, My name is Kristal and I'm thinking about the band too. I am going to Dr. Chua's seminar July 2nd!

I have heard a lot of good things about him... I don't think I am going to get banded now, I found out my insurance won't cover and I am afraid I will not be able to pay for it myself... It's amazing how the insurance companies work!!! Congrats to you though, I hope all works out for you!!!!! :rolleyes2:

Bridgett, first of all you are young, maybe in a couple of years you will have better insurance. Have you gone to an informational seminar? From reading posts I have learned some clinics finance, or have payment plans, there is a clinic in Colorado that charges under $10,000. I know thats a lot of money, but be sure to investigate all of your options. I have even heard of clinics charging cash pts less than those with insurance. I don't know if it is true, and I have no idea what Dr. Chua's clinic charges. I have heard that Dr. Chua will fill you if you get banded elsewhere. Just some thoughts...:biggrin:

Edited by Smartiegirl

Hi Smartgirl,

I had my band by Dr. Chua. He is extrememly well qualified and does a great job. Will you be going through Aurora Sinai's program, or St. Francis for your surgery?

Hi Lizalee-I'm going to Aurora-I work for Aurora, so Sinai is pretty much my only option, but thats okay. I've heard good things about Dr.Chua. He did my close friends gastric bypass 3 years ago. She liked him. I went with her once to one of her pre-op appointments. So I've at least seen the clinic. :confused_smile:

Hey, I work for Aurora too. Dr. Chua is very nice, and very gentle! He also has a new doctor that just joined his practice. She is being trained, so not sure when she sill actually start seeing patients. Dr. July, his associate is done as of today I think. Anyway, the new doctor seems very nice - I met her recently.

Hi All,

I am just started out, and just went to the 1st consultation/nutritionist consult yesterday, it lasted about 1hr and 15 mins. I live in SE Wisconsin, and I am glad someone FINALLY posted on this thread. My psych eval. is on 7/19 so, I probably won't be banded until September. My surgeon is Dr. Joseph Regan @ Columbia St. Mary's Hospital. I have United Healthcare insurance and it seems like the insurance process is not going to be drastic. The only requirement needed was 40+ BMI or 35-40 with co-morbidities so, I guess I'm on my way to a new life....

Hey MSV529,

Welcome! Good luck with your journey! I thought the process to get it going seemed like it took forever - the waiting to get started! Hope things go as planned and you are on your way! There are plenty of Wisconsin people out there who are banded. I've had fantastic results so far, it was the best thing I've ever done.

Thanks Lizalee,

Wow, congrats, you've lost 90+ lbs, you are a true inspiration! :thumbup: I am open to any advice you may have, and I hope you'll allow me to ask you questions from time to time. That's if you don't mind. Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

Hey, MSV529, thanks. I'm happy with my loss so far, but not too excited because I still have a LONG way to go...and the second half I hear is harder. But, the good thing is that there are many mini-victories along the way!

Ask away! That's what this site is for. At first I was just reading all the stuff and absorbing info...now that I have a couple months behind me, I'd be happy to share any info I learned (for whatever it's worth!)

Happy 4th!

Hi Lizalee,

I was wondering if you had to do the pre-op diet, if so, for how long, and what type? Optifast, slim-fast, etc? I will have to do the Optifast for 2 weeks, and was kind of wondering if they will give me a list of what I can eat?