Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long story, hopefully happy ending! (Band re-positioning)

I got the band 3 years ago. It was great the first year. I lost 60lbs, had great restriction, and felt like myself for the first time in a long time! I started getting reflux at night, waking me up w/ bile or acid in my mouth, as well as asperating into my lungs. This caused a persistent cough.

I saw the P.A. at my dr's office. An esophagram showed nothing unusual. They advised me to stop eating 3 hours before bed and take reflux meds. I got pg w/ 2nd baby, got a slight unfill, reflux systems subsided and pg was great (w/o the excessive weight gain from 1st pg w/o band). As soon as baby was born, my reflux symptoms intensified so that I could not sleep at all. Anyone w/ a newborn knows this is torture! Dr. Ren unfilled me and had me get an endoscopy.

Turns out I have a hiatal hernia (stomach tissue coming up through the band). I wanted to avoid another surgery, as My Dr. was not sure the hernia was causing the reflux and surgery would not necessarily improve the reflux.

I waited and now she says that the placement of my band is probably causing the reflux. She said people who have the band placed higher up on their stomachs tend not to have this symptom. So I am scheduled to have the hernia repaired and the band repositioned later this month. I am awaiting insurance approval.

I have been struggling w/ eating all year and even went back on weight watchers for a couple of months. I am hopeful everything will work out after the surgery (and that the approval will go through!).

Has anyone had experience w/ re-positioning of the band?

Thank you!

I had my band repositioned due to a slip, not a hernia. The procedure was easier than the first, as they didn't have to touch the port. I was self-pay, so the added cost was the only pain of the surgery! I am doing well, so there is life after repositioning! Good luck to you.

I also had a mild slip repaired. My problem was reflux and pain even when not eating. I vomitted quite often after the first three months of being banded, because I couldn't even tolerate 1/4 cup of meat.

The slip repair was a piece of cake. Soreness only, no pain from the surgery. Not like the first time I had the band placed. This time I literally took no pain meds. I am a self-pay and I can imagine the bills coming are going to be QUITE painful. The surgeons fee alone was not pleasant to get!

Hi Rae,

The surgeon fee was $2,000 and the all the hospital fees including anesthesiologist is $10,000. This doesn't even include another band, since they were able to keep my original band. My original surgery was $13,000 and that included the lap-band. That was in June 2007.

I'm hoping to negotiate a lower fee with the hospital, since I find this fee overinflated and bordering on ridiculous in comparsion to the orginal surgery fee.

I too have to have band repositioning and/or replacement. Mine is due to pouch dilation and slip. My band is not as high as it should be and even after 6 weeks unfilled my doc says my pouch is still too large probably also due to a slight slip. He is recommending surgery as he says I have an "unhealthy Band situation" and could end up with major problems. What is terrifying me is that he and other surgeons I have heard say sometimes patients lose their bands as repositioning is impossible. Is your situation sort of like mine and has your surgeon said you could lose you band? I feel like they have to tell you the worse case scenario and the odds are well in my favor I will keep it.

Edited by Leigh Ann
spelling

OMG...I wonder if I could get my band repositioned in Mexico...I am self pay and totally broke due to student loans for my Master have come out of forbearance...ugh. Mine is at a 45 degree angle and the doc said in a couple more fills that it will need to be repostioned.

Georgia Peach,

The band can likely be repositioned if the surgeon has the surgical skills to do it. Mine was slipped for at least 6 months before it was repaired. Do stress to him, you do NOT WANT to lose your band during this surgery, and know it can be saved, as others have had this surgery (me) and had my original band saved.

I must say, the costs of saving my band, I'd consider Mexico, if I had to have it repositioned again.