Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee & diet coke

With the lap-band - The carbonation from soda expands the pouch and the goal is to keep the pouch as small as possible.

It is actually dangerous to your health! Here are ten of the many reasons to kick the soda habit.

1. Phosphorus found in most sodas contribute to bone loss by inhibiting the absorption of Calcium.
  2. High fructose corn Syrup is linked to high blood sugar and diabetes.
  3. High fructose corn syrup is not absorbed like other sugars. It is processed through the liver and is the sugar that is most easily converted to fat.
  4. Carbonated drinks are linked to acid reflux, and esophageal cancer.
  5. Kids who drink soda on average have more cavities than kids who do not drink soda.
  6. Caffeine and sugar both cause dehydration.
  7. If you think diet soda is better think again. Aspartame is made from formaldehyde and and menthol. These toxins are known to cause nerve damage, headaches, and blurred vision.
  8. New studies link Aspartame in diet soda to sugar cravings. Experts believe that tricking your palate with artificial sweetener can cause the body to want the sugar in another form.
  9. Drinking either regular or diet soda is linked to obesity.
  10. There are so many better (and tastier) things to drink than soda!

Well I better get to diet coke ahaulics before I have this done, because I will probably strangle my husband if I am going thru food and diet coke withdrawal at the same time. Maybe I should just send him away for the first month. LOL

Doctors differ on coffee. Mine says it is fine in moderation, so I have two cups a day. It does dehydrate you, so I'm just sure to drink plenty of other liquids throughout the day.

I think coffee is just fine, have heard of no one giving up coffee. I adore diet coke, so I really feel your pain on that one. The truth is you CAN drink it, but sometimes it's no fun anymore because the carbonation can be really painful. I've tried pouring it out from long distances to let the carbonation get out some; I've tried letting it sit out and have barely any in it. Nothing has worked really. Frequently when I drink it, the carbonation gets trapped under the band or somewhere in there and it hurts. I find if I take small sips of it and make myself burp quietly afterwards I do just fine. The key is not to deprive yourself of everything you love for the band; just have less of it all. The band is the ticket to less of everything. Try different things and see what works for you. I think it's a very individual question in this case. Good luck!

Well I better get to diet coke ahaulics before I have this done, because I will probably strangle my husband if I am going thru food and diet coke withdrawal at the same time. Maybe I should just send him away for the first month. LOL

My weight loss center told me about the carbonated beverages causing the pouch to swell. They told me I could have soda (preferably diet) on OCASSION if I let it sit a bit so it doens't have so much carbonation! I too drank a LOT of soda, but have cut it out over my 6 month pre-op ins. requirements. Honestly it wasn't that hard, I was suprised. It's just empty calories, and one thing I have to learn to deal with. If that's the hardest thing I do for weight loss...that would be great! haha :cool2: