Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

West Georgian, banded out of state

I realize I've technically been here since 2005, but I was just banded on 2/14/08 (long story). I weighed 302 at my consultation and lost a total of 46 pounds. I have another 81 pounds to reach my goal. I am 5'10" and have been overweight my entire life. I am also an emotional eater.

I was banded out of state because my husband's employer has a WLS exclusion on their health insurance. I financed the surgery and visited my surgeon for my first fill. Since then I have gotten two more fills from a doctor in John's Creek. It is almost an hour from me, but I really like him and it's affordable.

I use SparkPeople to track my food and do cardio for 30-45 minutes, five times a week. In the last month I have added strength training three times a week. All my exercise is done using DVDs, cable shows, online videos, tips from magazines, books, et cetera -- I have never belonged to a gym.

I live west of Metro Atlanta and work in a university library. I am also a freelance writer and editor, and I have been married for nearly 13 years. No children yet but we are looking to try after I reach my goal. My husband is in education and is starting graduate school in the fall. We are in our early 30s.

I'm very shy, introverted, into reading, writing, very much a cat person, love comedies...OK, this is starting to sound like a personal ad. It would be great to find a buddy who is in my area and has some similar background, interests. I would love to learn more exercise tips and could use the help with figuring out what to eat. :thumbup:

HI, NOT FROM YOUR AREA, BUT BEEN BANDED 2.5 YRS. EMAIL ME, IM MARRIED, 38, THREE DAUGHTERS. COMPUTER ILITERATE. ANYWAY, IF YOU WANTA "PEN PAL" HERE I AM. I STARTED AT 308 PDS DOWN TO 230. NEED SOME MOTIVATION. I LIKE SPARKS TOO! I JUST DISCOVERED IT YESTERDAY!! patience.pickner@hotmail.com

Hey Green - I live in South Georgia down in Douglas and was banded 8 months ago. It sounds like you're doing pretty good so far. The amount of exercise you're doing is quite impressive. So many of us have problems with that area. The eating properly is much easier for me than the exercise. I try and do the treadmill 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes and that's about it, but I did just get my old bicycle down from the rafters and cleaned up. My DH is off next week so we're going to try and take them out a couple of times next week.

I noticed on the georgia site that someone was trying to get some support group meetings put together in the Atlanta area, have you thought about joing them? I don't have that option down here in Douglas, so I rely heavily on this site. Good Luck and keep up the good work.