Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Margaritas and other cocktails!!!

I bought a new cookbook the other day, "The Hungry Girl." I had seen her on TV, and thought her low calorie cooking concepts were very interesting. I found the book at my local bookstore, and I'm very pleased! There is a recipe in there for onion rings that you bread with Fiber One Cereal and bake in the oven. Only 115 calores for a HUGE plate! I tried them, and they're pretty good.

However, my FAVORITE tip so far is a recipe for a low calorie margarita. Lord knows I must have my cocktails on the weekends. This recipe makes a whole pitcher of frozen margaritas, and the ONLY calories are in the tequila. The virgin style, without alcohol, is calorie free!

12 oz diet sprite

1 packet Crystal Lite lemonade

4 T lime juice

As much tequila as you dare - count those calories!

Put all of these ingredients in a blender, and fill the rest of the way with ice. Blend until smooth. YUMMY!

I had some friends over last night, and many said that these were the best margaritas they'd ever had. Did you know that the average margarita in a restaurant has about 700 calories? YIKES! Depending on the amount of tequila, these have about 100. DRINK UP!

Mmmm...sounds yummy. Thanks for posting. This will be a nice alternative to my Absolut Citron & soda with a squeeze of lemon. Is it Friday yet?

And as for the "other cocktails" part, there are lots of other recipies, in the cookbook, such as pina colada, daiquiri, etc. I highly recommend the book. Good, simple recipes and low calorie substitutes, plus every recipe lists calories, carbs, Proteins, etc.

Did you know that the average margarita in a restaurant has about 700 calories?

OUCH! :confused: Good grief, I'm learning so much about the calories in so many foods/drinks I used to eat, no wonder I gained so much. 700 calories in one margarita, and that's before dinner even (I usually had a margarita when I'd eat in a Mexican restaurant). oy. Thanks for this great info kjeter, the book sounds like a good one for sure, I'm gonna look for it next time I'm near the book store. Does the diet sprite bother you at all, or did you try and stir out some of the carbonation? I hear so much about carbonated drinks and the band (my dietitian did say to avoid it). Otherwise, that drink sounds fabulous, both with and without the tequila. It sounds like a perfect summer drink - it's nice to have something special like this, and still stay on plan!

Actually, I think the blending process takes out much of the carbonation. The drink certainly does not end up being fizzy. If you're worried about it, let the Sprite go a little flat. It shouldn't affect the taste at all.

Actually, I think the blending process takes out much of the carbonation. The drink certainly does not end up being fizzy. If you're worried about it, let the Sprite go a little flat. It shouldn't affect the taste at all.

Excellent! Thanks again, this is going on my favorites list . . . I usually drink a lot of the Crystal Lite lemonade anyway, it's my favorite flavor. :confused:

I love the Hungry Girl. I had her website on that list of sites I sent. Lots and lots and lots of great info there - www.hungry-girl.com. Now I'm craving a margarita and just might have one this weekend. Thanks.

I am a big fan of tasty beverages.

I don't know how high in calorie my favorite is...I'm gonna have to find out. Actually it doesn't matter because I had to give them up.:thumbup:

1/2 flute of Martini and Rossi

tiny bit of cherry juice

tiny bit of grapefruit juice

sliced strawberries in bottom of flute.

Oh now I'm all sad.

I can still have pomogranite martinis however. Yum.