Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, well I have never used a chat forum before and I havnt a clue how to do this! :thumbup:

I am considering having a lapband and going to Brussels to get it done by Dr chris de Bruyne as he is much cheaper than anywhere else I can find. Does anyone have any feedback? I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks x

I havnt seen the consultant yet and been given a definite price but the website says 3950 euros . is your surgeon Dr Chris de Bruyne? Ive only just started making enquires about a band so am pretty much in the dark. I'd be rreally grateful if you could give me any advice? Would you recommend the place where you're going?

Good luck with it all!

Hi there, have you considered trying to get it done on the NHS? I am having mine done at Chichester they have amazing facilities! PM if you have questions XX

KiKi XX

thanks for replying. My GP is making enquiries for me about NHS surgery but I dont think my BMI is high enough.

Good luck with your surgery, hope it goes well, lucky you!

Hi Julia

I was banded by Dr. DeBruyne in March and I have no regrets. I am very happy with my choice of surgeon and the aftercare I have received. I am in Dublin and Dr. DeBruyne visits once a month for fills and consultations so I dont have to travel to Belgium. He also visits london and edinburgh. Although the price was excellent, the lowest i've seen in fact, that was not the main reason for choosing Dr. DeBruyne. I researched quite a bit and spoke to other patients of his(he has done thousands of ops). I have not heard a bad word about him and he has an extremley low complication rate. He is a true professional. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Best of luck with your decision.

Elsie

Hi Elsie

Thanks for replying to me i really appreciate it. Am delighted to hear its all gone so well for you and you're pleased with Dr de Bruyne.

Would you mind telling me about what aftercare he offers and if you dont mind saying, how much does it costs etc?

I was hoping to get a band that would last indefinitely but I understand from Dr Chris that they only last for up to 15 yrs.What have you got? Will you need to get another at some point in the future?

I have so many questions! I dont know where to start!

anyway, thanks alot and all the best with your band!

Julia x

Hi Julia

To be honest I didnt ask about the lifetime of the band and it wasnt mentioned. Well if there is a complication such as erosion it may have to come out but Dr. Chris said this was very rare. As far as I know the current bands havent been around long enough to have a solid time limit put on them. The way I see it is that in 15 years if it has to be replaced then it has to be replaced but At least I'll be around for it. The way I was going weight wise I probably wouldnt have lasted that long. I certainly wouldnt let it put me off my decision to be banded.

In relation to costs, Dr. DeBruyne prices everything separately. The cost for the op is from 3400 euro up to 4000 euro depending on the type of band I think. I have a Heliogast Evolution. Fills cost me EUR120 or if you travel to Belgium they are Eur50.00. I have had 3 fills so far and have spent less than 4500euro which included the fills, op, hotel, flights, taxi etc. The same thing in Ireland was costing nearly 3times as much. Dr. DeBruyne seems to be very concious of costs to his patients and will try to save them money where possible.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Elsie

Elsie, thank you that information is very helpful.

you know when you go for a band fill, how does Dr Chris judge the amount to put in? Does he x ray or is it just trial and error? I am worrying about how many bandfills I might need in order to get it right and the expense of it all.

how long have you had your band? has it been hard to work with it?

Julia x

Hi Julie

Dr. Chris will weigh you and ask about what you can eat etc. He will base the fill on that info. The first fill I think is a basic 2mls. After that it will depend on what you can eat and what weight you lost. There are no xrays. The fills are quick and painless (well, just a pinch). My second fill was 3.5 mls and the 3rd was 1.25ml. I was banded in March and have lost about 2 stone since the op. The average amount of fills people need to get to a nice stage is 2-4 fills.

For the most part I have coped very well with the band. There are times when it was a little hard work usually when I'm eaten too fast and not chewing enough, it can be painful. It can take practice but for me its worth it.

Elsie

Hi Elsie

it really is very helpful talking to you, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. You must be delighted with how yours is going. 2st since March is incredible! good for you!

I have read about not being able to drink whilst having a meal once banded and I understand why but does it literally mean you cant even have 1 or 2 sips of Water? I think i will find that hard. How have you got on with that?

Julia x

Hi Elsie

it really is very helpful talking to you, thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. You must be delighted with how yours is going. 2st since March is incredible! good for you!

I have read about not being able to drink whilst having a meal once banded and I understand why but does it literally mean you cant even have 1 or 2 sips of Water? I think i will find that hard. How have you got on with that?

Julia x

Hi Julia,

Not drinking with meals has been fairly easy on me, I never did really. I try to remember to drink a half hour or so before I eat. (Not 100% sure of the rules on drinking before eating). I have drank a few sips while eating if something is spicier than I expected but really to get the most out of your band you shouldnt really. Like chewing and eating slowly you will eventually develop the habit (hopefully :rolleyes2:). If you ever have a bad incident where some food gets stuck that is a time when you should not drink Water even if you think you need to. It just sits on top and will come back up.

When is your consultation?

Elsie

Hi Elsie

I will remember not to drink if something gets stuck, thats really good advice, thank you.

I had my 1st consultation with the surgeon yesterday and have decided to def go ahead wit it. I'm booked in for 4th July in Brussels.

I'm a bit nervous about how I will cope with eating in a new way ie chewing properly, eating slowly, not drinking with my meal etc but I'm ready to give it a go. I've spent all my life with my weight yo yo-ing up and down ,10stone either way and I'm sick of it. After 30 odd years of having the same battle I think it's time to try something new now!

Many thanks once again for sharing your experience, its been a huge help and Im grateful to you.

Julia x

Hi Elsie

Can you remember the dietary advice you got after your op? At the consultation Dr Chris said fluids for the first 10 days and then after that I cant remember! What stuff should I stock my cupboards up with?

I'm also wondering about the emotional side effects after the op? How did you cope? were you ok?

Sorry to bombard you with another heap of questions!

Julia x