Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange question..

hi all

I am not saying this is true or not.I have no opinion on this "whatsoever"

I think fat people are fat because we eat to much and exercise to little....that's just my opinion......dont get mad now.....

There is always the genes that play a role of course.........

The thing they say about the bottle feeding is the high Protein that used to be in the milk and and ...I dont how this works....

They were talking about it,I heard about it and just thought it would be interesting to know how many of the people on this site who are having weightloss surgery have been bottle fed.....

When we talk about being breasfed we are talking about until weaning age, so the child didnt use formula.

Anyone else?

9 bottle, 4 breast......

Bottle-fed. Back then docs encouraged mothers to bottle feed, and bound their breasts to help dry up their milk. Mom was DYING to breast feed, but it "just wasn't done". So, both my MO sister and I were bottle fed. By the time the two younger kids came around she said the heck with it, and they were breast fed, and are slender. Well, the youngest wasn't totally breast fed, I don't think - he was allergic to everything, and I think he finally was fed goats' milk. He has a tendancy to put on weight, but I think that's due to all the beer... lol I'll have to check with my Mom about his breat feeding time.

I think fat people are fat because we eat to much and exercise to little....
Unfortunately that's what MOST people think. Certainly most MO people are eating too much, not exercising, and not eating the right thing, so it's easy to point that out as the reason. In fact, there are many slender, down-right skinny people who eat "too much", never exercise, and don't eat the right thing (who are NOT bulemic), so one has to admit that there seems to be more to it in at least some cases. It's much easier to blame behaviour than it is to find the real cause. Just like in a post not too long ago where a woman went to her doctor complaining of shortness of breath, and he asked if she smoked, and she said "Yes." And his response was, "Quit smoking." and was ready to send her on her way. HER response to him was, "I quit smoking 10 years ago. Thank you for showing me that you are not interested in doing your job." And then she went and found a doc who was interested in actually treating her.

The more interesting question is WHY?? WHY are some people driven to eat more than their body requires? WHY do some people seem to be able to take in excessive calories and not gain weight? Again, it's easy to point to the obese person and say it's their fault, but no one points to the skinny person who can eat anything and say THEY have anything to do with that!

When most of us reduce our calories we lose weight. But MOST of us are suffering terribly doing that - we feel like we're starving, we're shaky, all we can think about is food. Naturally normal weight people are NOT suffering. Most banded people are able to reduce their intake to sufficient levels to lose weight WITHOUT suffering.

Morbid Obesity has been recognized as a disease since 1985 by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

For what it's worth...

http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:OTJxKzuvN8QJ:www.shapeup.org/profcenter/diabesity/PoriesPres.ppt+is+morbid+obesity+a+disease%3F&hl=en

"The truth is that Morbid obesity is a disease, not a moral failing."

“Obesity is a chronic, lifelong, genetically-related, life-threatening disease with highly significant medical, psychological, social, physical, and economic co-morbidities.”

Statement on morbid obesity and its treatment. Obesity Surgery 1997 7:40-41

“In 1991, the National Institutes of Health concluded in its Consensus Conference that diets, exercise programs, appetite suppressants and behavior modifications are not effective therapies.”

Report of the Consensus Conference on Surgery of Morbid Obesity, National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC 1991

http://www.rsapc1.com/morbid_obesity_surgery/

"Morbid obesity is the most common form of malnutrition in the United States and in the world today. It is considered after smoking to be the second leading preventable cause of death in the United States. It is a chronic disease which is very complex and has multiple etiologies."

"We lose over 300,000 patients a year to morbid obesity and morbid obesity related medical problems."

"There are social, psychosocial and economic consequences of morbid obesity that can be devastating. Unfortunately, the prejudice against the obese is very common in our society."

"Conservative management of morbid obesity that includes diet, behavioral modifications, exercise programs and the like have been found to be ineffective over the long term. A person who is morbidly obese who attempts conservative management, as mentioned above, either alone or in any combination, is not expected to be successful more than 5% of the time. Over 95% of patients who are morbidly obese and meet the criteria for morbid obesity will regain their weight and often overshoot their previous weight. Surgery for morbid obesity is the only method that has resulted in long-term maintenance of weight loss and the reduction of the comorbid diseases that are associated with morbid obesity. In particular, hypertension, dibetes mellitus, risks for coronary disease, osteoarthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease and many others.

Morbid obesity is a chronic disease which is defined as a disruption of bodily function that develops slowly and persists for an extended period of time and often for life. It is multifactorial and includes genetic predisposition, environmental factors, social economic factors, cultural influences, hormonal influences and digestive abnormalities. In 1985 morbid obesity was recognized as a disease with associated comorbid diseases by the National Institute of Health. In 1991, surgical weight loss stated to be superior to nonsurgical weight loss methods and that only surgical intervention produced acceptable long-term results. In 1993 the National Institute of Health recognized the vertical banded gastroplasty and the gastric bypass procedure to be effective in significant reduction of excess body weight. The National Institute of Health recognizes morbid obesity as being an epidemic that can only be reduced significantly by surgical intervention for both morbid obesity and its associated comorbid problems."

http://www.landauercosmeticsurgery.co.uk/obesity/

"OBESITY: A MEDICAL CONDITION

People who suffer from obesity are poorly misunderstood by those of the population who are not obese. There is a common attitude that overweight people are stupid and unable to control themselves. People who are obese are often the brunt of cruel jokes and thoughtless humour, even to the point of suffering abusive comments in public places.

We now know that the medical condition of morbid obesity is a complex disorder, and not simply due to over-eating. The vast majority of people living in the Western World eat more calories than they need but it is only a small proportion that relentlessly lay down every excess calorie in their fat stores. Most people have a mechanism, by which their body knows when their stores have been refilled, but there is an unfortunate group of people where this mechanism is defective, and when they eat it can be likened to filling up the bath with the overflow blocked off.

There are of course no fat people in starvation areas of the world, but this is because these are regions with chronic malnutrition and nobody there has access to even adequate calories.

People who are morbidly obese often find it difficult to believe that their problem is a medical disease and not simply due to overeating.

MORBID OBESITY IN FAMILIES

The disorder of morbid obesity often runs in families. The chance of having morbid obesity is clearly increased if other people in your family have the condition. Studies of identical twins who were separated at birth and brought up separately show that if one twin becomes obese, then the other one is likely to become obese as well."

Breast fed for a while then I was told I screamed all the time, (like I still do!!! heheh!) mom switched me to skim milk cause that is the only thing I would take. Still to this day, I have always had only skim milk

My mom was not able to BF and I had "failure to thrive" so their doc told my family to put me on formula with KARO Syrup in it to help me out. Needless to say all of my baby pictures from about four months on look like I am Jabba the Hut. I have had weight problems my entire life... *sigh*

13 bottle 5 breast.

I asked my friend about this and she says that in earlier days the formula had a very high persentage of unmodified Protein in it.The body got used to a very high amount of Protein and maybe if we ask we will find that because of that kids grew very fast (got fat...or big...)

I fully agree that obesity must be some form of a disease or I wouldnt be fat.Only God knows what I have tried and how long I have been on diets and how I have failed to lose the weight or keep it off time after time after time.

Question,bottle or breast?

I was bottle fed. However, my son was bottle fed and he is definitely NOT obese and will probably never be. I think it has nothing to do with bottle/breast. However, I do believe that the immune system as an infant is better on breast.