Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Tactic

So I'm really, really fed up with this whole plateau/fighting up and down with 2 pounds thing so I decided to teach my body a lesson today. I've heard about the whole metabolism/body thinking it's starving thing and I decided to show it what starving is all about. I'm going to drastically reduce my calories today and basically do the liquid thing. Plus I'm going to excercise my butt off today. Keep good thoughts for me so I can make it.

Me to my body: So, you think you're starving do you? I'll show you starving! Heh!

My body: Okay, okay! I give! Here's those 3 pounds. And over the next week I promise to give you 6 more if you just promise to go back to what you were feeding me.

Yep, I know I need to be locked up in a nice padded room somewhere.:cursing:

I admire your spunk, woman! However, whenever I plateau, I find that if I eat MORE for a day or two, then go back to the meager portions, I start losing again. Let me know how this strategy works.

Yeah, I tried upping the calories a bit a couple weeks ago and I thought it worked, then I had a hard time stopping and gained 3 pounds back. Hoping a day like this and it will snap it back to losing again. So far so good.

ezma, you know I did read on here before that our bodies will go through a plateau based on points of weight in our past. Like say, I weighed 220 lbs. back in the day for a good 3 years until I started to gain again. (Just and example) Well, on my way back down and I hit that 220 lbs. again, my body will hang around that weight for awhile.

I don't know, it's just something I read and I have no clue whether or not it's true.

From what I've read of your posts you are doing all you can to lose the pounds. I feel for you, and I hope that you plateau will let up soon. Just keep the good fight and one day you'll jump on that scale and it will start working for you again.

I have done that before actually several times. I always went on long

plateaus and when I got fed up enough, I would go back to the liquid

protien diet for a week and drop 5 lbs. It's hard the first couple of days but after that, I never minded it. Sometimes it's easier than counting calories and trying to figure out what to eat.

I didn't make it on liquids but I did reduce the calories by about 25% and upped the exercise almost double. It seemed to help. I was going to wait until tomorrow to make sure but this morning I was down 1.5 pounds from the dreaded plateau weight. With any luck, I'll drop into the 70s tomorrow. Cross your fingers everyone.

I'm definately open to the liquid thing another time. One thing that happened over the last 2 days was my band seemed to tighten up. Had that stuck feeling on some moist chicken tonight. Possibly I shrunk my pouch down? No idea really.

Lil- You could have something with that theory. I'm very near the weight I was at for quite a while before my hysterectomy. About 4 pounds from it now. And I do think I was at that weight for several years. Sad part is the clothes that fit then, don't fit now. :wink2:

It's really true about how the clothes fit different. I've noticed that myself. I believe that might be due to how we treated our bodies quite different from the way up vs. the way down.

Well, I'm really torn here. It looks like that worked for me. I'm down three pounds from the plateau weight. I'm very happy that it worked but also ticked that I seem to require much, much fewer calories to lose weight. Oh well, who needs food. I'll eat when I'm thin. At least I found a way to break the plateau.

You're a real stand up gal ezma! That's so great and I'm glad you're finally getting that scale to agree with you.

Hon, you know some people just have way slow metabolisms compared to others and it really doesn't take much fuel at all for them to survive. Thus, if they are trying to lose weight it takes much fewer calories than it would for others either.

Cheers! And here's to more pounds off!!

Ezma (good on you for showing your body who's boss!)

OK, so now I am really jealous. I have been in hell for the last 6 weeks unable to shift any of the weight. I am pretty p***ed.

I had another 0.9ml fill in my band yesterday and not feeling any restriction like I have in the past. WTH?

Anyway, my surgeon and I discuss strategies for further weight loss although he did say that it would just be tinkering around the edges as I am doing everything right. It's just so flamin annoying that I am doing the right thing, for nil result. I also mentioned that when I have lost weight many times in the past, that my body tends to stop at this point every time (that's usually when I have grown tired of the whole dieting thing and start to feel more comfortable within myself - then the viscious cycle starts again!). He did mention that mny bodies remember thier ideal and perhaps that's where I am now....(Lilmiss - I think you are onto something there!). I have got such a long way to go to get to my goal weight. My new revised goal weight is 80kg...taking baby steps. Hopefully with more restriction (I haven't felt the effects of yesterday's fill yet) I will eat a little less and start to lose a bit more slowly.

Unfortunately all my loss occured in the 2 weeks prior to surgery then in the 6 weeks after...then nothing! It's pretty pitiful from my point of view..

Peek - I'm so sorry to hear that you've been dealing with the dreaded plateau for that long. Kudos to you that you still appear sane. Hopefully they will get you to some good restriction soon. I know that helps so much. It's like the band does more than restricting the amount you eat, it almost seems to stimulate a hormone or something too. At least I read that somewhere.