Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I was so glad to find this support network online. I was banded in Chattanooga, TN on May29, 2008 by Dr Ponce. It has been a difficult week.

I was expecting little recovery and very little pain. I was told some people return to work the very next day. This has not been the case for me. I suffered terrible pains for 2 days after surgery and when I called my doctor's office the RN told me I was abusing my pain medicine and shouldn't be hurting this badly.:eek:

After the pain stopped on Saturday (thank God), I've had wheezing, productive cough, weakness, feelings of hypoglycemia, and now I have thrush.

I'm 31 and generally healthy. All of these complications were a big surprise to me. I expected to breeze right through recovery.

Anyway, I'm writing to ask others what feelings they have with regard to hunger after the procedure. By day 3, I was starving on clears. I advanced my diet to full liquids early and that seemed to solve the problem for a few days. Now I'm on day 7 and I go back and forth between "very full" and "starving." Do the feelings get more predictable and do they regulate as time goes on?

Thanks to everyone!

Hello,

I hope you are feeling better very soon. Yes, I would say that as time goes on, you will get to know your band better. Right now, since you are just starting out, you really don't know what to expect, but as time goes on things will get more predicable. At least that's what happened to me. I was also starving soon after my band. Some people seem breeze through this period as far as hunger is concerned but in my case, I was "starving" 4 days post op.

Give yourself a chance; you're just starting out and all the best to you.

Regards,

Alfie

I had a very difficult recovery. I was banded May 8 & still don't feel that great mainly due to severe gas issues. I get my 1st fill today & have been eating any & everything I want for the past 10 days or more with no negative results. I hope I haven't messed anything up & will be forced to be more selective after today I'm sure. Good luck on your recovery.

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I was banded in January on a Thursday, and thought as you did- that I'd breeze through and be back at work on Monday.. WRONG! By the 4th day I was asking myself "What have I DONE??" I was so miserable, in pain, weak, etc.. feeling pretty much as you do. But as time passed I felt better. Quitting the pain med was the best thing I did- it was doing more harm than good. I felt so bad that I wasn't eating or drinking enough, and became dehyrdrated, which made it even worse! I ended up missing an entire week of work.

So.. take care of yourself, and you'll feel better with each passing day.

Recovery is different for everyone, as we've discovered. Use the info you find on this site for what it is- "other people's experiences"- but remember, you'll have your own, and it won't be *exactly* like anyone else's. Hang in there- you'll be glad you did! :cursing:

so sorry to hear about your difficult time.

what worked for me for the VERY VERY VERY hungry times is i would fix 1/2 cup of SF lime Jello and have it with me everywhere. even at bed over night. i would eat 2-3 baby spoons and that helped a ton.

best of luck to you.