Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wasabubblebutt is in recovery

WASaBubbleButt,

Hi. I'm one week out from my band to sleeve surgery. I have a bit of pain where the port was, otherwise, I'm doing well. My question, I have a pretty big lump (and have had it since the surgery) where the port was. There is no redness or heat around the incision. The incision has closed very nicely. Did you have this swelling? I wasn't worried in the beginning, but am wondering how long this will be here. I think I remember someone mentioning this happening (I don't know if it was the doctor or online). Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Oh yeah! I had the same thing. It really hurt a great deal. After about a week then this fire feeling thing started, it was the muscle where my port was. I'd be doing something and suddenly the burning would start. Felt like someone was holding a hot poker to my old port site.

I'm guessing you have scar tissue that is building but that's only a guess since I can't see it. Try not to mess with it, it's hard though. It's natural to touch something that hurts.

Tell me, do you miss your band? LOL

Thanks for your reply WASa,

The swelling really doesn't hurt. It's the large swollen mass that's got me. It feels like when I was pregnant and the baby's head (about that size, only softer) was pushing out on my stomach (does that make any sense?). That said, I have to say that it WAS there when I was in the hospital. I commented to my husband and had him feel it. He's the one that made the comment about a baby's head. The doctor never mentioned it. So, it must be normal, in some sense anyway. It's only gotten a bit bigger since I left the hospital. If it were an infection one would think that I'd have a fever, it would be red and draining and painful. I don't have any of that.

I haven't missed my band since they unfilled it 3 weeks before surgery.

It's nice to talk with someone who has had the same surgery with the same doctor.

I get to start on thicker liquids on Thursday. That will be nice. Although, it hasn't been bad. It's hard to get all the liquids down with just clear fluids. I've enjoyed the popcicles!!

Can you eat just about anything now?

Did you get my email telling you that Dr. Aceves no longer does a 34 bougie? He now does 36. I couldn't talk him into doing the smaller one on me.

I went into the hospital at about 128 and am now 120. I have a feeling I will lose more than I want in the next 3 weeks.

Thank you.

Cheryl

Thanks for your reply WASa,

The swelling really doesn't hurt. It's the large swollen mass that's got me. It feels like when I was pregnant and the baby's head (about that size, only softer) was pushing out on my stomach (does that make any sense?). That said, I have to say that it WAS there when I was in the hospital. I commented to my husband and had him feel it. He's the one that made the comment about a baby's head. The doctor never mentioned it. So, it must be normal, in some sense anyway. It's only gotten a bit bigger since I left the hospital. If it were an infection one would think that I'd have a fever, it would be red and draining and painful. I don't have any of that.

I haven't missed my band since they unfilled it 3 weeks before surgery.

It's nice to talk with someone who has had the same surgery with the same doctor.

I get to start on thicker liquids on Thursday. That will be nice. Although, it hasn't been bad. It's hard to get all the liquids down with just clear fluids. I've enjoyed the popcicles!!

Can you eat just about anything now?

Did you get my email telling you that Dr. Aceves no longer does a 34 bougie? He now does 36. I couldn't talk him into doing the smaller one on me.

I went into the hospital at about 128 and am now 120. I have a feeling I will lose more than I want in the next 3 weeks.

Thank you.

Cheryl

Yes, you did tell me about the 36 boughie. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between a 32 and 36 is about a half teaspoon. The difference between a 32 and 40 is about a teaspoon. So really, it's insignificant. I think he's afraid people are going to get strictures. Also, keep in mind, if he used a 36 boughie you have a 34 stomach. The way he oversews the stomach brings it down a size. So instead of a 32 you have a 34 stomach. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon difference. That wouldn't have bothered me. Since your weight is so low, trust me on this one... you'll want that 1/4 teaspoon difference! I have to eat all day long just to maintain my weight. I have to eat soft foods vs. hard Proteins because if I eat hard Proteins I can't eat for a couple of hours and I need the calories right now.

Yep, I can eat anything just hardly any of it. No more getting stuck, sliming, barfing, stoma spewing, or foaming. No more fills, unfills, follow up appts, it's all history. You are done for life.

Feels good, eh? ;o)

Yes, you did tell me about the 36 boughie. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between a 32 and 36 is about a half teaspoon. The difference between a 32 and 40 is about a teaspoon. So really, it's insignificant. I think he's afraid people are going to get strictures. Also, keep in mind, if he used a 36 boughie you have a 34 stomach. The way he oversews the stomach brings it down a size. So instead of a 32 you have a 34 stomach. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon difference. That wouldn't have bothered me. Since your weight is so low, trust me on this one... you'll want that 1/4 teaspoon difference! I have to eat all day long just to maintain my weight. I have to eat soft foods vs. hard Proteins because if I eat hard Proteins I can't eat for a couple of hours and I need the calories right now.

Yep, I can eat anything just hardly any of it. No more getting stuck, sliming, barfing, stoma spewing, or foaming. No more fills, unfills, follow up appts, it's all history. You are done for life.

Feels good, eh? ;o)

Wassa I have a question for u.. How long do u have to have the band to know that it dosent work for you? The last time i got a fill i couldn't eat eggs everything got stuck and it is a truly bad feeling. When i was thinking about doing this no one said all of that stuff. Should I talk to my Dr. or do u think i should talk to another Dr. to see if they could take the band out and to do the sleeve honestly I don't want to have to go thru the fills and I haven't lost as much as i feel i should have thus far with the band. Now prehaps I am saying this a little premature cause i was banded in may and it is now late oct. and i havent lost 30-lbs since sugery. I don't want to loose it by starving becasue everything gets stuck... can u help me plz..

Wassa I have a question for u.. How long do u have to have the band to know that it dosent work for you? The last time i got a fill i couldn't eat eggs everything got stuck and it is a truly bad feeling. When i was thinking about doing this no one said all of that stuff. Should I talk to my Dr. or do u think i should talk to another Dr. to see if they could take the band out and to do the sleeve honestly I don't want to have to go thru the fills and I haven't lost as much as i feel i should have thus far with the band. Now prehaps I am saying this a little premature cause i was banded in may and it is now late oct. and i havent lost 30-lbs since sugery. I don't want to loose it by starving becasue everything gets stuck... can u help me plz..

I'd give it a bit more time. I'll explain why.

Eating is such a basic behavior. We don't have to think about it, we just do it. When you get banded everything changes, absolutely everything. Chewing, bite sizes, food choices, food temperature, everything. It ALL changes. There is a huge learning curve to banding. I'd try something a little different. First of all eggs get stuck for most people, they are even uncomfortable for a sleeved person and we have no stoma.

Try tuna salad and a three bite rule. Many times people think they are stuck and really they aren't, they overate. You just can't fathom that maybe for awhile 1/4 cup is all you can eat. So instead of worrying about measuring and such try something different. Three bites every hour. No more and no less. If you find that you can't stop at three bites you have your answer, you are overeating. If you eat three bites and you keep it down, you know your problem is your eating behaviors and not the band.

Chew each bites 30 times, even tuna salad! Three bites an hour, every hour. Just try it for one day. See how many times you stoma spew. ;o) If you don't, it's you. If you do, you might need a slight unfill.

Try experimenting with TINY quantities of various foods. You have to completely and totally relearn everything you ever knew about basic eating.

Bumping this up... moved to this forum as requested.

You asked and we listened!

We're happy to announce the launch of http://VerticalSleeveTalk.com !

VerticalSleeveTalk.com is very similar to LBT, except that it's specifically dedicated to the Sleeve Surgery. Please visit http://VerticalSleeveTalk.com and sign up for your free membership.