Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about giving blood before surgery and getting blood after surgery

Did any of you give your own blood before surgery in case it was needed for transfusion for any post-op complications? Also, did any of you have to get blood transfused after surgery? Just wondering....

Did not give blood before surgery and did not need a transfusion after surgery. Honestly, I never even thought about it. :lol:

Good Luck to YOU! :lol:

Did not give blood before surgery and did not need a transfusion after surgery. Honestly, I never even thought about it. :lol:

Good Luck to YOU! :lol:

Thanks. I guess it's the nurse coming out in me. :tongue: I know the complication risk is low and I was just wondering how many people have encountered this.

But.........I did fill out a living will and a power of attorney. Hospital offered it for free on the day of surgery!

kdlee: No blood taken before surgery and no blood given at surgery. No complications at all. I have lost 60 pounds since New Years. Best wishes

Hmm. When I had my gallbladder and other surgeries they took blood incase I had probs. I guess Kaplan isn't worried about it. lol

No blood taken before surgery and none needed after surgery. They did do blood tests and took some samples, but that was it.

I don't even know my blood type. I asked my PCP once if I could get my blood type and she said, "No, that's not necessary. No sense in paying for a test for something you don't need to know about."

HUH?

Hmm. When I had my gallbladder and other surgeries they took blood incase I had probs. I guess Kaplan isn't worried about it. lol

Jeannie said I could donate some blood if I wanted, but she seems really hesitant about asking Kaplan about it. She doesn't seem worried about the need for it, either.

kdlee: No blood taken before surgery and no blood given at surgery. No complications at all. I have lost 60 pounds since New Years. Best wishes

Good job! :lol:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've got a little bit of time before surgery to think about this and decide.

I bleed a lot i dunno if thats why i donated blood, I dunno what Jeannie will want me to do...will have to ask sometime. lol

I bleed a lot i dunno if thats why i donated blood, I dunno what Jeannie will want me to do...will have to ask sometime. lol

She didn't offer it to me. I brought it up to her.

ah either way ill bring it up sometime lol

I didn't give my own blood prior to surgery, but wish I had. Thankfully I didn't need a transfusion but came very close to needing one. The doctor scrapped my spleen with an instrument and therefore I lost a lot of blood. Post-op my blood counts were monitored closely.

I didn't give my own blood prior to surgery, but wish I had. Thankfully I didn't need a transfusion but came very close to needing one. The doctor scrapped my spleen with an instrument and therefore I lost a lot of blood. Post-op my blood counts were monitored closely.

Something like that is what I'm afraid of! The nurse practitioner keeps reinforcing that complications are rare. However, this is a surgery and things can happen. I think I am going to go ahead and check into the self-donation. Thanks for the input.