Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Realize Band

The studies comparing both bands online are the old lap bands, not the new ones. I showed them to my doctor and he assured me the lap band weight loss is much greater and pushed me towards the lapband.

Logically I dont think that the websites are the deciding factor in being banded...I just made the statement that I liked the website, not that it was my deciding factor...

Good luck with your success....

Hi....this has been a real concern of mine. I was banded on the 30th of April this year. I have lost 40 pounds. Do not feel that full feeling yet. I never use the website with the realize. I have the realize band. I only got it because I heard it might be better when it comes to not getting the food stuck. I just hope I did not pick the wrong band. What studies show that you lose much more with the lap band over the realize band?

I have not seen any studies where you loose more with one band over the other....I believe your weight loss is personal, I was banded on 08/12/08 and I have lost 17 lbs from the date of surgery, some people have lost more some less, it all depends on the individual and your body....I have seen people with Lapband loose slower as well as with the Realize....It is a long term process and the main thing is the scales are going down and not up right?..?....Mabye you just arent there with your fills yet...talk with your Dr if you think your not at full restriction... Have a great day...

I had my surgery on 6-30 and i picked the realize band so far i've lost 16 pounds.Have any had any problems feeling the port,i have a friend that was banded on 6-9 and she went with the lapband and i can feel her port.

I also wanted to know when you get your first fill did anyone have to drink any fluids and is it painful.I go for my first fill 8-21.I haven't noticed alot of weight coming off can anyone give some advise

The study which shows the better weight loss was done by Dr. Paul O'Brian in Australia. I found it online after my doctor gave me the name to google. This is the ONLY published study with the Third Generation Lapband. It shows a 62% weight loss in 12 months with the standard AP Lapband which is significantly higher than any published study with The Swedish/Realize Band, according to my doctor. I found one study in my research and it had 31% excess weight loss with the swedish band/realize band so that sold me. I figured it must be better if the weight loss is doublein the first year.

My doctor said the issue with the soft realize band is there is less compression on the vegas nerve of the stomach which is responsible for sending signals of hunger back and forth to the brain. I really have no idea what that means but I was banded in the beginning of July with the AP band and im down 36lbs.

But look, its too late to say you picked the wrong band-just do your best and use whatever tools are on their fancy website. I see posts all over about it so I assume there is something on their to help. Its too early to switch bands-I was in the waiting room for a fill and someone complaing about poor weight loss with the Realize band and wanted it switched.

hang in there! we are all rooting for you!!

I was just wondering rockbandster when you had surgery, what have your outcomes been and what type of band do you have?

on that vagal comment, some md's actually cut the vagal nerve to assist in changing the body's ability to tell itself that it's hungry...