Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi also new and scared

Hi everyone I needed somewhere that I could express my concerns but also my joy over having the surgery - surgery date is Thursday 4/28/05 and I am scared and worried - know this is the right thing for me -will change my life but wonder about the side effects etc. have read some notes on the board about the gas pain and the pain in general - know that its surgery of course pain- and have been able to handle pain all my life -but for some reason worried about it now - hope the surgery will do as planned - but i seem to be most worried about the food intake or more like the not food intake - having to change my whole life to accuire what i want - silly i know that's what its all about, right? But will things change for the better after a couple of months or so - we camp alot with 4-5 other couples which will be a challenge but will I ever be able to eat the normal stuff again without problems-know these all sound pretty trivial but..... worried just the same - don't want to be an outcast because can not eat with the rest of the group - now for the joy - very excited -want the cute clothes and the cute size - and to be able to garden again without days of leg and back pain - so there that's it I think just needed to vent - have told only a few about having surgery -husband, son, mother will in time -I feel - just something for myself right now -that's why i said glad found this forum so could let some of my concerns out - Thanks for reading and wish me luck will be back for more inspiration

Tippytoe,

Try to take a deep breath. I was banded Monday afternoon and I like you was scarred durring the last 48 hours. Matter of fact I keep myself busy cleaning house and oddball jobs around the house so I wouldn't work myself up. On Monday I was fine until I sat down in the waiting area and burst into nervous tears. Also like you I knew I was doing the right thing for me. My worst pain at this point is the gas and where they put the port. As far as the food intake goes all I've eaten since Saturday is Clear Liquids but, truth be known I haven't wanted anything else. Everyone is different but, I have seen stated on LBT several time that over time people eat a lot of the same old foods just less of them. Your worries are not trivial, any worry is natural you just have to reason within in yourself. Any time you need to vent come on aboard because thats what we are here for. Best wishes to you on Thursday and I hope for your speedy recovery.

hi Tippytoe

I understand what your concerns are.We also camp a lot and well,being on Atkins all my life took care of that........and gaining and losing 150 pounds 5 times in 10 years....but mostly gaining...

Yip, and the liquid diet makes you ask why one isnt thin when one can actually manage to eat nothing for days?

I also wonder what am I going to do? Is this for the rest of my life?

But being thin and healthy is 100 persent worth sacraficing for........

As far as the not food intake is concerned it seems that people can eat almost anything to soon after the operation.Mind you that also seems to be the reason why people stop losing weight.I suppose when you look at the really successful bandsters you will see that there is always a change in what they eat and it is not completely effortless......

I think not worrying about these things would be not normal.

My doctor keeps telling me the band is not a "SELF ACTING SLIMMING DEVICE" and that dietary compliance is what makes it successful.

Please come back and tell us how it was and I am thinking of you.

Hi all! I was banded April 21 and I'm doing great. From what I've all read I think the band is a tool to help me lose weight not a miracle. I think it will help me not be hungry so I will have the willpower to say no. I'm reading a great book called Before and After by

Susan Leach. She's a gal that had gastic by pass but her feelings are just like ours. I'm really enjoying the book. Good luck to all!

Tippy, my mom is 73 and was banded April 7th, she's doing great. You'll be fine, everone has the jitters just before and after. The next week will be a filled with ups and downs, but you'll be so happy with your decision. I wish you the best.

All your nervs are normal... It is a lifstyle change, but you will see that you will love it.. You will still enjoy camping with your family... You will just eat less... Good luck to you and please let us know how you are doing.... 36_1_65.gif

Tippy,

You are experiencing everything normal related to the lapband procedure. It is kinda going into the twilight zone. You've read everything about it but you still don't know what to expect. I had my surgery on March 30. I was sore from the incisions but experienced no gas pain at all. I was going up and down the steps again three days after surgery. Believe me I feel I have made the right decision. You will see it is a good choice. Best of luck to you and keep your head up it only gets better.

I want to Thank You Drama Queen, Desertmom, Slimmer Sue, Harleynana,Tarafeena and gunn4ya for all your wonderful replies they have actually made me feel better about alot of things and just to know you took the time to read and reply has overwhemed me - tomorrow morning the big day and feel i will make it - Bless You and take care icon14.gif

Tippytoes,

I am thinking of you and praying for you...