Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horses

As y'all know, I enrolled in a basic horsemanship class this semester. The first class was one week after I was banded! Yikes! Okay, I missed the first class becaue I had to have an emergency D&C... but I was there for the rest of the classes...

Okay, this is what I"ve learned in in the class:

The right way to get off a horse. If you get off the horse wrong, your bra will get caught on the pommel and you will be left dangling by your bra. This will give all the women a good laugh, but the horse will be a lttle anoyed with you.

And speaking of bras, WEAR A SPORTS BRA! There is no way you can hold your bouncing betty's when you are trotting. Not without risking falling off the trotting horse.... And its a LONG way down to the mud... The mud mixed with horse shit.... Yeah, wear a sports bra.

Horses have hard feet. I shouldn't worry about hurting their feet when I pick them out because I will never have enough strength in my hands.

I can saddle a nervous horse in a thunderstorm. Okay, I think I was more nervous... I can also do all the tack in a thunder storm. But trust me, its much easier on a bright warm sunny day with no wind.

Cowboy boots are a good thing, and they make me laugh. Just the thought of me in cowboy boots makes me laugh every time I even think of wearing them. Wear wool socks, wear really good wool socks. You feet will thank you when it is 35 degrees outside.

oh yeah, you need a shower. The arena dust will be magnetically attracted to your hair... and we already know what is in the arena dust... Yikes!

You are soooo right about the sports bra. I grew up on horses and was riding them before I could walk. I used to ride Bare back with no shoes, no bra,( back in the days I could get away with it.LOL those days are long gone) I used to ride in jimcannas when I was a kid. barrels and goat tie.

I haven't been on a horse for a VERRRRY long time. My friends and I are going to go riding in Greer AZ next year when I am smaller. It is the most BEAUTIFUL place to ride.

I LOVE HORSES!! I miss them something terrible.

You're also right about the shower! Try ridding bare back. When you get off half of the horses hair and sweat is on your butt and legs.

Good luck in your class! It must be lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never rode a Horse but someday would love too. I will remember the bra incident.

So how did your horse classes turn out Vines? I too would love to this when I'm at a more comfortable weight where I am stronger and more flexible so I can truly enjoy doing this - but it is on my list of things to do when I get smaller! Tell me all about it!

The class was great, I'll try to take it again this spring, schedule permitting. They do have trail rides during the year, once a month while school is in session, and arena riding at other times, but this semester I'm so jammed for time, I don't have the time to take advantage of the horses.

Next year I hope to go on the weekend pack trip. That would be very fun.

Finally, DON'T WAIT to do things until you've lost "all your weight." DO IT NOW! And don't generally worry about hurting the poor little horse because you weight 290 (pick a number).

This is one of the things that I keep saying I"m going to do at 250, then at 240, now I've moved it to 225. Scew that, I'm calling right now!

I wore a full body sucker-inner last time I went horseback riding because I can't stand the feeling of everything flaping around all over. I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the renewed inspiriation, Vines!

Megan

I haven't ridden in a very long time. Not because of weight reasons, I just haven't had the opportunity. Not many riding places in socal that I'm aware of, lol

well i'm not worried about my weight per se' but more my strength and flexibility - I'm not sure I'd be able to get up on it without it being a big scene LOL! I would rather wait until I'm at least a little more flexible and stronger, not because I'm big right now. And Megan that's a great idea! I will have to get a bodyslimmer and sportsbra!

i went riding at OceanShores last summer, Jumped off the Paint i was on and my shirt and bra got suck. Lets just say i was on a BEACH, the horse was like 30+hands and im 5'5''. I moved fast.

Vicky