Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contemplating Gastric Banding

I'm Carrie from Dallas, Texas. 45 year old mother of 15 month old Whitney. Work full-time, hubby out of a job, constantly tired, yes, morbidly obese, and the list goes on.

The idea of gastric banding scares me on a very emotional and mental level. I am not scared of the procedure itself or what it can do for weight loss.

I have spent more years than I can count using food to fill voids, placate, socialize, alleviate boredom, etc. Food is my drug.

How would I prepare myself emotionally and mentally to take the plunge? It seems like an insurmountable obstacle.

I am a medical professional and know that gastric bypass or the lap band are not quick fixes and require a lot of mental preparation beforehand.

It's not like I have all the time in the world just to take care of me and me alone. There are plenty of stressors in my life currently. Especially a new daughter, having to work to pay the bills, hubby out of job.

Any support is greatly appreciated!

Carrie

I am a nurse to and have researched both procedures for years and finally took the plunge last month. You know going into it, it is not a end all. It's a tool to help you the emotional part doesn't leave you completely but I am 37y/o with a three year old and a sixteen year old and a mother that died at the age of 53. You have to want it for you. I wanted it for me and my children especially my three year old. The emotionally part is still hanging around but you don't eat as much, your full so much quicker and it makes you make better decisions. You have to talk it out with yourself and others but I bet if you have that beautiful little girl to go home to she will help you through all your struggles. Mine help me. I wish you the best. Have some faith, I know alot of us thick chicks have problems in having faith in ourselves but WE can do it.

Sheemac:thumbup:

The big thing is the recognition that it is not a quick fix. Once you decide to do the banding, you have all the time to psych yourself up for the mental changes. It's extremely hard to change the habits I've had since I was born, but I know that with enough willpower and motivation it can be done. The important thing is that you realize it won't be easy and that there will be obstacles, but keep your goal in mind and it'll be fine. Remember that we're gonna have a new lease on life when this is done. For you you'll be able to run around with your daughter when she grows up, and for me I'll be able to keep up with all the other students at school and not look like the odd fat kid in medical school. We all have our reasons for doing this, and this place is a great tool to help you keep your eyes on the prize!

The journey can be scary. I must admit I was scared at first. All kinds of things went through my head. But from all that one thing stands out...When i finally decided I would do it I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was no longer scared but happy that I made a decision that will change my life for the better. I've been overweight through my teenage years and within the last 5 years transferred to morbidly obese. I knew I wanted to change that but I would get so frustrated with diets and how they never worked long term. Even my husband (who I call the fitness guru) has helped me with my diet and expercise but I can never seem to lose and keep it off.

All I can tell you is research as much as you can. Find out information from your insurance provider and from the doctor you may choose to do your surgery. That way you can find out what kind of road you are looking at and the doctor can give you all the information you need about the process and what you can expect afterwards. Don't feel scared you are not alone. We, your doctor, your support group are here to lend a hand to help you get through this.

I've relied on the people on this board to answer a lot of questions. I mean who better to answer what you feel like afterwards than someone who have actually been through the process themselves.

Carrie - I am also in the Dallas area. I had my surgery in March. Anytime you want you can private message me and I will give you my phone number and you can call me. I spent alot of time on this forum before my surgery and it was very, very helpful to me. People are very willing to share. Just a quick word on the emotional stuff in my situation. I think I was so broken emotionally from be the "fat" person for so long and everything that society brings to you because of it, not to mention what you do to your own self-esteem by beating yourself up, that I felt I just wanted to feel better about myself so badly. I can tell you that my emotional well-being improved so greatly after surgery. I love the good feelings I have about myself so much. They are such new feelings. I never realized I could feel this good mentally and emotionally. And I still have quite a bit of weight to lose. So don't be afraid of the emotional and mental part of this, it is all good for me. Visit this site as often as you can and read, read, read, it really gives you strength and encouragement.

I'm Carrie from Dallas, Texas. 45 year old mother of 15 month old Whitney. Work full-time, hubby out of a job, constantly tired, yes, morbidly obese, and the list goes on.

The idea of gastric banding scares me on a very emotional and mental level. I am not scared of the procedure itself or what it can do for weight loss.

I have spent more years than I can count using food to fill voids, placate, socialize, alleviate boredom, etc. Food is my drug.

How would I prepare myself emotionally and mentally to take the plunge? It seems like an insurmountable obstacle.

I am a medical professional and know that gastric bypass or the lap band are not quick fixes and require a lot of mental preparation beforehand.

It's not like I have all the time in the world just to take care of me and me alone. There are plenty of stressors in my life currently. Especially a new daughter, having to work to pay the bills, hubby out of job.

Any support is greatly appreciated!

Carrie

Carrie, I am a nurse too and had alot of concern how I would handle the mental part. Food too is my drug. (was my drug). I actually hired a Life Coach and met with her weekly at first then as I became stronger now have gone to monthly meetings. I started seeing her 5 months before my band date, I made the changes as part of my pre-op commitment to myself.

A life coach is a very positive experience. She helped me set goals and gave me tools for reducing stress, identifying triggers and ways to avoid or deal with it other than with food. It's not that difficult, its just finally realizing that until you make yourself a priority no one else will. Especially with children and a spouse out of work, it would be much easier to just work all kinds of hours for the money, and eat what ever you want because you took care of everyone else... and reward yourself with food. (I am assuming that reward yourself with food... because as a nurse and caregiver for many years I rewarded myself that way up to 366 lbs.) Not anymore! I've found other enjoyment in life besides food. I'm not perfect by any means, but I am not on auto pilot with food anymore... I am in control!!!

You can do this!!! You won't regret it. It could be the best thing mentally you could ever do for yourself. Here is a link to my life coach so you can see what they have to offer in case you decide it's something for you to consider. I actually found mine through the facility I work at, she was associated through our outpatient rehab center.

If you are interested in seeing my life coach's web page, just pm me!

Best of luck to you!

Tess