Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone,

i just attended a lap band seminar. after thinking long and hard, this is what i want to do, what i need to do!! so i called for an appt with the surgeon, july 18th is my appt. i have so many questions and no one to answer them just yet. so if anyone wants to give me a heads up on what to expect i would appreciate it.

here's some of my questions

what kind of pre op testing needs to be done?

whats this liquid diet before surgery stuff?

how long does it usually take from 1st appt to surgery?

I am in nj can i tell you who the surgeon is?

ok i'll stop now

thank you!!!!

Welcome to the forum! I'm new to the lap-band process so I can't help you with any of your questions but I do know that there are some terrific people here who will. :)

GOOD LUCK

When I started looking into surgery I just got on the internet and did a Google search for "lapband surgery", "lapband diary", "lapband blog", etc. I loved reading the online diaries and blogs of people who had the surgery. On You Tube I did a search for "lapband" and found videos of people talking about their surgery, and even videos of the surgery being performed. I learned a LOT that way. Also just read a variety of posts on this forum. Some quick answers to your questions....

It's up to your doctor what kind of pre-op testing needs to be done. It's not unusual to have to have a sleep study to test for sleep apnea, sometimes a visit to a cardiologist, a visit to a psychiatrist... bloodwork, various other tests depending on your doctor, your age, your medical history, and your general state of health.

Many doctors put their patients on a liquid diet for a week or two before surgery. This is to lose weight quickly to shrink your liver, which helps make surgery go better.

The length of time from your first appointment to surgery depends on your insurance company. It goes a lot faster if you are self-pay. I had my first appointment 2 weeks after I attended a lapband information seminar, and my surgery was 2 weeks later because I was self-pay. For some people, it can take 6 months or even a year.

Good luck! This is a great place to come for information but also do your own research online, it helps a lot.

what all can i exect from the sleep study? my dr's office is incompatent and cant even send a fax so im going in another direction. its very likely that i have sleep apnea most of the people in my family do. my dr's office told me that my bmi isnt high enough and that the insurance Co. will probably turn me down unless i have sleep apnea but they would send a fax any way. i didnt want to have the sleep study test done but i dont sleep very well and its really starting to wear me down. i have put on some more weight sence the last drs apointment and i can tell it has afected my sleep even more. i was waking up once or twice a night and now i wake you almost 5 times a night and for no reason. i just wake up and toss and turn a bit then go back to sleep. i sit in a quiet room at a computer all b myself all day at work and it takes all i have to stay awake so i HAVE to do something. i was hoping you could tell me what i can expect with the sleep study. do they do them on saturdays? i dont want to take off work but i will if i have to.