Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

I chose my weight goal based on what I was before i became pregnant 20 year ago. Maybe that is streatching it a bit, but I just checked and my BMI would be 21.5 which is a healthy BMI so I think it is good. ANY actual weight loss would be great!

I don't think anyone has mentioned that there is a very simple way to get a rough idea of what a person should weigh. It is based on your height.

Basically, count 100 lbs for the first 5 feet of height and 5 lbs for every 1 inch in height over that. So if you are 5'10" like me, my goal weight should be 100 + (10 x 5) = 150. THIS IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE. This method does not account for your build (small, medium or large frame), or the amount of muscle you carry (muscle is heavier than fat). I don't think these ratios work for men either. Sorry guys. What this will give you is a number to work with.

There is also a very good website that can calculate the numbers for you, give you a ranges for different frams types, etc.

Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations

well I talked to my surgeon and he said that my goal should be 170...so I am going to change my ticket to that and then if/when I get lower it will be a bonus! I have my pre op physical with my family dr today and I will ask her.

Bobbi

oh yeah and the whole high school/wedding day thing won't work for me...I was 190 in High School and about that on my wedding day. When I met my husband I was about 170 maybe a little less and I felt thin....so we will see where we are at 170.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that there is a very simple way to get a rough idea of what a person should weigh. It is based on your height.

Basically, count 100 lbs for the first 5 feet of height and 5 lbs for every 1 inch in height over that. So if you are 5'10" like me, my goal weight should be 100 + (10 x 5) = 150. THIS IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE. This method does not account for your build (small, medium or large frame), or the amount of muscle you carry (muscle is heavier than fat). I don't think these ratios work for men either. Sorry guys. What this will give you is a number to work with.

There is also a very good website that can calculate the numbers for you, give you a ranges for different frams types, etc.

Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations

I am 5'3...By your formula I should be shooting for 115 lbs...I simply don't see myself getting anywhere near that...I weighed 118 for about 5 minutes in my early 20's...I was strutting my stuff in a very small bikini...(That summer and that summer only!!!) anyway...That was before Kids, a sit down job, and the need to nourish my body with food rather than Booze and Bong hits....To be honest...I'd feel wonderful at 140...Skinny even...but I think your formula is a good guideline...especially for the younger crowd...

My surgeon chose 159, but I had already been thinking 150. That is by no means my skinny weight from my younger days, but I feel like it's relatively thin. I figured it was going to be tough to just get to 150, let alone my ideal weight. I was 120 at my thinnest, and thought I was so fat at 130, 140, and all the later weights that I have visited on my way up. So I'd love to be thinner, but get real!

Edited by mickeymammoth

Choosing a goal weight was a pretty easy thing for me. I just asked myself...at what weight would I feel comfortable and happy with myself. I'm 5'6" and 264 pounds right now. I would feel happy with a weight of no more than 165 pounds. I know that my ideal weight according to alot that I have read is around 145 pounds. But I haven't weighted that since I was in high school and that was quit some time ago lol. I'm not looking to get into a size 2 dress, just a body that is healthy and comfortable to live in.

I picked my goal weight from how I have seen my body, and friends with similar height and body shape. When I was about 220-240 I didn't look very large(to me at least) and had the most self confidence I have ever had. That is my first goal after banding. From there my goal is based on pant size. My ultimate pant size goal is a 8/9, but a 10/12 is also fine with me. My BMI is not something I will base my weight loss on. I can and probably will always be classified as over weight(based on how I envision and want my body to look). That is something I am completely fine with and accept.

lookingforself