Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help Deciding

Guest Tudge

I had my first consult with the nurse/surgeon today - everything went well. I was told that I was a good candidate for either RNY or the lap band procedure .

My wife (she was at the appoinment) is now really in favor of the lap-band due to it being less invasive and reversable.

I am not sure what to think now - I really had my mind made up about the RNY before this appoinment and am now second guessing - I spent some time over at Obesity Help. com and there seems to be quite a few posts about people having problems getting the band filled correctly....... I also understand the many complications that are associated with RNY as well.

The kicker is that I asked the surgeon what procedure he would recommend for my particular circumstances and he said the lap band - he said he always recommends the least invasive procedure, but AGAIN that it is my choice....

I am really confused now.....

Have any of you come from similar circumstances?

A little more about me - 6'4" - 387 pounds - BMI of 49...

Thanks in Advance

T.J.

Hi TJ,

I think all of us probably went through the same decision-making process you're going through now. Each person's medical situation is different. But for me, the deciding factor was that I was HEALTHY, albeit fat, and RNY creates a situation in the body that is, essentially, illness (malnutrition). So even beyond the greater surgical risk in the short term -- which is IMMENSELY greater -- this malnutrition can lead to big complications in years to come.

I'm totally with your doctor. Why do something drastic when something less invasive and gentler to the body may be all you need? My goal was to have a BMI healthier than 47, and to be more mobile and energetic to keep up with my kids and live a long time. It wasn't to drop 100 lbs in the first three months (which sounds scary, all by itself) or to get into a size 6.

And then there's that infamous "window of opportunity"! The band is adjustable and will remain that way forever. With RNY, after a couple of years, the wad is shot. If the patient hasn't changed his/her ways in that time they're going to gain the weight back. Bandsters have a mechanical assist in eating less food that will never go away, and that's how weight is lost and kept off.

There's a place for RNY, don't get me wrong. But I want to take good care of myself, not create a foreign situation where I'm artificially starving myself to death and then have to deal with the consequences of that. If someone is dealing with imminent health issues that will be helped by rapid and immediate weight loss, then by all means RNY is the right thing. But my choice was clear from the start, and I've never once thought I may have made the wrong choice. :D

I agree with Alex, and if RYN was the only surgery available, I would not have had the surgery. I just wouldn't want to mess with my insides and change them around. Everyone has to make up their own mind, so I am not trying to make that decision for you, I am just saying lapband was the only surgery I was willing to take a chance on.

Good luck with your journey and let us know what you decide to do.

Guest kathant1

If you don't no anyone with the lapband then you really don't know what it is all about. All you seem to hear about is RNY. I know 4 people who have the lapband and 1 with RNY. I personally would not want to mutilate myself more than I had to. I had surgery on 4/4/05 and was up and about the same day walking for hours at the hospital. And doing the same at home the next day. The other surgery will have you split and gutted and you will feel it. You took a long time to gain your weight. Remember it will take the time to lose it. Your body will thank you for that. I have a aversion to cutting parts of my body out and maybe I'm not one you need to here from but the least invasive the better.

If there no such thing as the lap band, I wouldn't have had any sort of WLS. I don't want my insided messed with. The other surgeries were a no starter for me.

One of my friends is looking at one of the by-passes, but it makes me cry thinking of all the risks he is opening himself up to... like death.

Welcome T.J

For fast and Rapid Weight loss then the RYN would be for you BUT I am a lurker on Obesity.com and have been following the stories of some people that have not done well with the Surg are having major complications they have been hospitalized so many times. Yes there are some complications with the band but those are minor compared to having your insides rerouted then again rerouted only not to get it resolved. With the band if anything were to go wrong I know that it could be removed and my stomach will go back to it's normal postion.

Best of luck to you on what ever you decide. The first step is the hardest and you have already taken that:)