Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian Lap-Band Veteran Wanted

I'm looking for someone who can advise and support me on becoming a vegetarian and through the Lap-Band process.

I am at the beginning of my Lap-Band journey. I've attended an information session, done some research on the web, and read hundreds of posts here on the forums. I want more.

I am 43, 5'10", and live in NH (USA). I have over 150 lbs to lose and am looking forward to using the Lap-Band experience to completely revamp my relationship with food and eating.

I am a budding vegetarian. I currently eat very little meat, and am weaning myself off dairy and most cheeses. (I'd like to keep goat cheese on the menu.) I do eat eggs. I am a novice at tofu, tempeh and soy Beans. I am also trying to buy organic as much as I can.

I'm looking for someone who can help me learn about the intricacies of an (ovo-lacto) vegetarian/Lap-Band diet. I want to hear how you make it work and what pitfalls you have encountered. And....make a new friend. :biggrin2:

Hi Veg! I'm not a whole hearted vegetarian, but have been forced to take on some of the practices. I have a kidney disorder and it's better for me to limit my intake of animal Proteins. Now that I'm banded, I've found that chicken does not agree with me and I really don't want to eat nothing but red meat, so I'm getting myself back on track with a more "vegetarian" diet.

I've bought probably 10 books over the last year. I've tried a bunch of products that I was not familiar with. Some were great, some not so great. My favorite find was Melissa's veggie chorizo. I find in the produce isle where you would find tofu. It's so delicious. I put it in everything from Soups to Beans to eggs. It also has a great texture. I'm also a fan of Gardenburger Portabella burgers and veggie crumbles (all in the frozen food section). My two favorite books are the "Clean Eating" books by Tosca Reno. She's not a vegetarian, but she makes some really great veggie recipes and she does a lot with tofu. Most of the books I bought have some really inventive ways to get in tofu. I love soybeans and eat them all the time. I also enjoy soy milk. My kids also like it. I sneak soy in where ever I can and my family doesn't even know. :P

Bottom line, I will never be a hard core vegetarian, but I find I feel better limiting my animal Protein. If you want some of the titles I've already bought, just let me know. I also pick up some of the vegetarian magazines when I'm in the bookstore. They always have interesting articles and recipes. Good luck and share any interesting recipes and products you might find.

Jack, thanks for the thoughts and concern. Getting adequate Protein and minimizing refined carbs is a priority for me. I have a sensitivity to gluten, so will be minimizing that as well.

I do partake of eggs and all types of Beans (4 bean salad and edamame salad are favorites), low-salt no-sugar nut butters, soy milk and I'm learning about tofu products. I've even added quinoa to my repetoire.

I'm not much for fast food, never have been. It's portion size and inactivity that have been my downfall.

I'm not one to do anything half-a**. When I do something, I delve head-first into it, soaking up everything I can learn about the subject and doing it right the first time. Obsessive? Maybe. At least this is an obsession that will result in a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks for the advice.

food I sneak soy in where ever I can and my family doesn't even know.

That's hilarious! :lol:

Thanks for the ideas. I'm a long-time subscriber to Vegetarian Times magazine, and have several (some untouched) veg cookbooks. I did just pull out my copy of "The Whole Soy Cookbook" by Patricia Greenberg, and see a few recipes I want to try.

My reasons for elimating meat and dairy are not only to better my health. I am appalled at the conditions under which animals are bred, kept and slaughtered for our eating pleasure. It's inhumane and it just freakin' filthy!

When I learned that beef cattle are given antibiotics to prevent the diseases they become susceptible to because of unnatural feed (high carb to fatten them up fast) and over-crowded feed lots, I was just sickened.:P

Add to that the environmental consequences of feeding and raising animals for food, and to me...it's just not worth it. I can do without steak and chicken patties. (Sweet Italian sausage has been a bit difficult, but I'm evolving.)

Sorry to rant.

Bea, I'll check out the chorizo the next time I go to the supermarket. Thanks!

Hello,

I have not been banded yet (June18!!), I have just started out a few months ago wanting to be vegan, but have found my place as a pescetarian. I eat a lot of Beans and love veggies and the soy meat replacements. Good luck!! Maybe we can be each other's journey buddies. We can swap veggie recipes!!

Kristi

vegwannabe,

Have you tried the quinoa porridge? I thought it was good, but my kids are used to the sugary tasting oatmeal, so they didn't take to it too much. Like Bea, I also have the Tosca Reno books, she does have some great veg recipes. We have had a hard time giving up Italian sausages too!! :) I don't think I will be able to get it down though once I have the surgery. But it will be worth it!!

Kristi

Kristi, I've had quinoa as a pilaf, but never as a porridge. I'll have to look for it in the store. Do you make it just like oatmeal? with milk and all that?

Have you ever tried the shakes from Rivival Soy? I found a reference to them in an old forum post, along with the web address. www.rivivalsoy.com I've ordered the sampler pack to try them out. I also ordered a package of soy pasta! Yeah, really! Soy pasta! Have you ever heard of such a thing? Anyway, I'm going to try it out.

Sweet Inca Porridge by Tosca Reno

1 cup quinoa grains, soaked

1 cup rolled oats, not instant

1/4 tsp sea salt

3 cups Water

1/2 cup chopped dates

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp best-quality vanilla

Place first four ingredients in pot with a tight fitting lid. Cover. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining four ingredients and mix together well. turn off heat and let sit, covered, for five minutes. Serve for Breakfast with berries.

315 Calories

9 g Protein

4 g Fat

62 g Carbs

I use the Eat to Live book as well as Vegan Planet, the last book really details how to use tofu and tempeh. I've had to learn to cook all over again, but it's fun to try things out and change them up a bit.

I will have to check out those shakes, how much Protein in each one? I've never heard of soy pasta! We have a huge Wholefood's about 35 minutes away, but I've only gone there to get some fasting tea, but I will def look for that pasta! I'll let you know when I try it and you do the same.