Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Realize Band

Its funny bandsters are having discussions like this. Can you imagine if this was a bypass/band forum? The things I have heard bypassers and their surgeons say about us bandsters!! You talk about being dissed! :confused:

Oh I know! lol.. I have snuck on to a few bypass discussions just to see what they say and it is quite hilarious.. but, we diss them too.. like when I say that all my bypass friends have gained all or most of their weight back and regret their decision because they suffer from severe health issues now... I'm sure that doesn't help the bypass community get bigger.

I am still curious, because I dont' think anybody ever answered me on another realize thread... does the realize band shape like a triangle around your stomach when it gets filled? I know it looks like a circle when its not inflated.. but when you get fills, is it a triangle or what? I keep hearing conflicting stories on this. Does the website show it inflated?

Oh and Northwest, I'm not "lumping" you into ANY group... my comments were a figure of speech, and if you can't recognize that, I'm sorry.... but, anybody who disses or questions the realize band gets trampled on by SOMEBODY on this forum.. and I get it. It's perfectly natural to defend your own band if somebody disses it. But, people who are searching for somebody to give negatives about it on here is not going to get what they are seeking.

Crystal, the booklet the doctor gave me shows it as a complete circle. Who knows really. Anyway, my doctor does both and he discussed it with me and gave me the option (went with Realize). His opinion was there wasn't much difference. He said: the band is wider, designed to prevent slippage, jury's still out, he's had very low instances (two, I think) of slippage with the Lap-Band anyway. Realize claims the round tubing is softer, less chance of food getting stuck, he says no actual evidence of that. The port is lower profile (I keep poking around and can't find mine), although it is bigger around and attaches differently. He did say he had much fewer complaints about port site pain. I never had any, other than when I bent over or turning over in bed the first few days. I only took Tylenol once I got home (same day). But, who knows, I may not have had any pain either way. Seems everyone is affected differently and some people are just big old babies :confused:.

I was shown the 2 in pre-op class. The Realize was a complete circle, inflated, unlike the Lap Band. It resembled more of a triangle, but not so noticeable. I was given the option. I just told my surgeon to use whichever. His comments to me were, "I'll use the original lapband only because it gives a tighter restriction unfilled than the Realize." I'm assuming he decided this since I have always been overweight, not one who recently put it all on or after childbirth. I'm talking 150lbs already at age 10!! Oh, he also told me the size of the band goes along with your height, not stomach size.

not sure if anyone has said this or not but i went to surgeon consult today and he told me the main thing is the port is smaller, it doesnt stick out as far, plus the old band when you went to lock it u pulled the cord(tubing) through and lock it, where as the new one hs a different lock that is much easier. i like the realize one it seems good and i have the website to help me down the line.

I asked my doctor at the consultation where he would place my port, and this was before I decided on which band to get. He said he bases it on the shape of the stomach area, and told me where mine would go. It's on my left side, just above my waist line. At my two week check-up the nurse practitioner showed me how to feel it (I can't feel it all unless I do the maneuver she showed me). While I was laying down, she had me put my right hand behind my head, and to raise my upper body a little. She put my hand on my port, and I could feel it then. She said as I lose weight, it would probably shift up a little higher. The port incision is just above the port.