Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this From TX (surgery on 06/13/08)

Hello Everyone,

I just came by to introduce myself and hopefully get some help throughout my journey. I am from Dallas Texas but I am going to school in Houston for Nursing. I am on 21 and decided to get this procedure done because my parents wanted me to be able to have kids and live a healthy life.

Well now that I have introduced myself, can someone please help me with some pre-op questions

I am going through True Results in Houston and I start a Protein shake, and One meat and green vegies, (I believe i can handle that)

I am most concerned with the surgery, I have never been under Anesthesia, (is it as bad as i am thinking it will be?)

Another question is are the scars permanent?, or very visable?

And what are some good tips for somethings I am suppose to eat or drink right after the surgery?

I was SO scared of surgery. I kept telling myself I could say never mind any minute and they'd just wheel me out the door and I could go home... but I never could bring myself to say it. Boy, I'm glad I didn't. Anesthesia isn't all that bad. Most people go under and wake up with little to no side effects.

I can't say too much about scars... I was banded on 2/11/08 and I still see my cuts, so I don't know the consequences for WAY down the line. I never wear anything revealing and won't even when I'm skinny, so I'm not too worried.

After surgery you'll be on liquids... then thicker liquids, then soft food, then hard foods. I don't really do Pasta, steak, or bread any more. When we eat out I tend to get chicken fingers. Sometimes the length of time it takes for me to chew something just isn't worth it. I guess my laziness has finally paid off for something!

Oh, start now looking for a Protein shake you like. I spent WEEKS finding one I could tolerate, until I determined that I can't stand any of the ones you make yourself. I'm a prepackaged kind of gal I suppose (New whey and Atkins are my faves). You'll be glad to have something you can enjoy. Soon after banding a shake and some ice was the BEST food I'd ever had. :laugh:

I haven't been banded yet but I've had several surgeries laproscopic like lapband is

. I had minor probs with the anesthesia, nothing major most people don't have problems and the scars are usually pretty small. Mine still show from older surgeries but not very much.

I'm supposed to be banded in November.

I wish you great luck and success in your surgery.

The first thing I want to say to you is only do this if YOU want to do it. We all have our issues with weight and if you do this for your parents, that can lead to other issues later.

Next, I haven't been banded yet, but I had a long surgery with anesthesia years ago. It was fine. (actually it felt good.) What will get you through any surgery easily is to know that it's right for you. I know now that surgery is right for me. But I've dealt with a lot of issues. (many of them with family) I'm probably older than your parents and I know this is something that really has to b e done four you alone. I'm ready and I know things will go fine.

Thank you, to everyone who has responded.....

Dora: I do understand what you mean, I have always struggled with my weight and I am so use to it, and I know my parents want the best for me, they are paying cash for it, and I am just scared they will hold it against me, if it does not work.....reading all the blogs and looking at photo albums, I have prepared myself mentally, I want it bad cause i have not been able to do it yet...but thank you for the advice, I will probably be on here all the time for the support

I just want to tell you that at your age, it would be the best thing you could do for yourself or you could wind up like me and missing out on so many years of my life being overweight. If you have the opportunity to do it now....go for it! You just have to be determined and ready to make some life style changes but honestly it's not that bad at all. I didn't get to be as big as I was because I didn't love food and the wrong kinds were of course my favorites but now my lap band helps me make wise decisions. If you work with it, it'll work for you! People have asked me if I'd do it again and I tell them I'd do it weekly if I had to in order to keep my band. It not only changed my life, it literally gave me a life. Your parents love you and want the best for you but you have to want it as well. As for the anesthesia, I had only had my gall bladder removed before my lap band surgery and I woke up sick as a dog after the gall bladder operation so I told them that before my lap band surgery and they gave me something through my IV to help with the nausea and I woke up groggy but feeling fine. I had my surgery at 8:30 a.m. and left the surgery center a little before 1:00 that afternoon. As for the scars, they were able to pretty much go in where I already had been cut but they don't look that bad. Heck, they look a whole lot better than the blubber I had before! I just wish you luck and trust me, I don't think you'd ever regret having the surgery. Good luck and know that this site is wonderful and without fail, someone always lends a helping hand when you need one.

Like Dora said, please make sure that you are doing this for yourself and that only you can justify why it is you are doing this. On the other hand, if someone is willing to pay for this, and with youth on your side-I'd go for it. You don't want to be like me at 29 and another 100 lbs. heavier wishing you had gone through with it a long time ago! My surgery was on the May 21st, and my only regret was that I didn't do this some years back. But, I've already lost 14 lbs! And it looks like I'm well on my way to a healthier lifestyle...where I need to be! Good luck girl...and lean on us if you need to!

My band date is also June 13th. Don't set yourself up for failure. You will not disappoint your parents. It will work if you let it work and not sabotage yourself. I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and those scars are definitely visible. I wouldn't worry about a few scars if it means prolonging my life.

As I read your message, I can see that you are going through the process of learning to love yourself and be yourself, and that takes time. You may want to look for some guided meditation CDs to help you relax and to learn to be quiet inside yourself. There are a number available through Amazon. One I like is Kelly Howell's The Secret -- Universal Mind Meditation.

As some of the other messages have said, if your parents are willing to pay for this, it might be worthwhile taking advantage of this, but be kind to yourself. Spend time thinking about what you want for your life.