Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frangipani & TexasBecky get Reconstructed

There is not much to report here. I am easing back in to formal, planned exercise this month. I went for my first 30 minute walk yesterday. It feels like starting all over again, but I hope by the end of the month I'll be back to my normal routine.

I was able to sleep on my right side for several hours last night. That is huge for me. I don't feel like I've really slept well since surgery, so perhaps I'm about to turn that corner.

Frangi, regarding fatigue, I was unusually tired for the first couple of weeks after surgery and did some napping during the day, which is almost unheard of for me. That seems to be passing now and I think the main reason I still feel some daytime tiredness is because the nights aren't great. BTW, I never tire of your posts. They are always fun to read and full of good info. Keep them coming. Of course, I tend to post novels most days, but I assume those people who aren't interested will just skip past my lengthy comments, lol.

Karey, good luck on the final push for 20 more pounds. It is a great idea to start a thread specific to that goal. I'll see you there.

Salsa, I'm confident that you are going to bounce back faster than any of us considering your age and athleticism. My fear for you is that you will try to do too much too soon. It sounds like your doctor has given you a very reasonable exercise plan. Follow it!! Good luck tomorrow. I'll be watching for a progress report.

Becky: Thanks for the support. When I started back to exercise. I started with walking again. I was use to the elliptical for 45 minutes or walking 3 miles. I could barely walk 1 mile without a lot of fatique and discomfort. I'm not sure what you're doing for a compression garment, but I went to Make Me Heal and got some stage 2 garments and wore them expecially when I was exercising. It really helped with the stomach pain and swelling. I still wear a light panty girdle when I exercise. I just feel better. I'm four months out now and I'm totally back into all exercise, but I really had to ease back into it. I walked until I could do the 3 miles and then I started back on the elliptical. I did some restorative yoga. Then at about 2 months, I began a light weight training routine and pilates again. At first I was shocked at how hard everything was and at how much strength I had lost in such a short time. Pilates was especially hard (abs) and I sucked at it big time! I believe it was only a few weeks ago that I thought okay, I can see that I will get back to normal. This week I noticed that I had absolutely no pain when I did certain stretches that had been bothering me. My trainer was able to add 10 pounds to everything and I am back to what I was doing before the surgery. It took longer than I thought it should, but I'm older and even though I was determined, my body had its own ideas. I know I'm writing a book too. I guess I'm just letting you know that it does take time. You need to give yourself lots of TLC and credit for trying and permission to do just a little. It will get better, but with the healing, swelling, emotional issues, earth life, etc. It takes time. We can't all be like Frangi! A walk is the perfect place to start!

There is not much to report here. I am easing back in to formal, planned exercise this month. I went for my first 30 minute walk yesterday. It feels like starting all over again, but I hope by the end of the month I'll be back to my normal routine.

I was able to sleep on my right side for several hours last night. That is huge for me. I don't feel like I've really slept well since surgery, so perhaps I'm about to turn that corner.

Frangi, regarding fatigue, I was unusually tired for the first couple of weeks after surgery and did some napping during the day, which is almost unheard of for me. That seems to be passing now and I think the main reason I still feel some daytime tiredness is because the nights aren't great. BTW, I never tire of your posts. They are always fun to read and full of good info. Keep them coming. Of course, I tend to post novels most days, but I assume those people who aren't interested will just skip past my lengthy comments, lol.

Becky: Thanks for the support. When I started back to exercise. I started with walking again. I was use to the elliptical for 45 minutes or walking 3 miles. I could barely walk 1 mile without a lot of fatique and discomfort. I'm not sure what you're doing for a compression garment, but I went to Make Me Heal and got some stage 2 garments and wore them expecially when I was exercising. It really helped with the stomach pain and swelling. I still wear a light panty girdle when I exercise. I just feel better. I'm four months out now and I'm totally back into all exercise, but I really had to ease back into it. I walked until I could do the 3 miles and then I started back on the elliptical. I did some restorative yoga. Then at about 2 months, I began a light weight training routine and pilates again. At first I was shocked at how hard everything was and at how much strength I had lost in such a short time. Pilates was especially hard (abs) and I sucked at it big time! I believe it was only a few weeks ago that I thought okay, I can see that I will get back to normal. This week I noticed that I had absolutely no pain when I did certain stretches that had been bothering me. My trainer was able to add 10 pounds to everything and I am back to what I was doing before the surgery. It took longer than I thought it should, but I'm older and even though I was determined, my body had its own ideas. I know I'm writing a book too. I guess I'm just letting you know that it does take time. You need to give yourself lots of TLC and credit for trying and permission to do just a little. It will get better, but with the healing, swelling, emotional issues, earth life, etc. It takes time. We can't all be like Frangi! A walk is the perfect place to start!

Becky, I'm glad to hear that you are turning that corner! I still can't sleep on my side, but am SO looking forward to the day that I can.

I had planned to start walking yesterday myself, but my errands ended up taking me longer than I thought they would and I didn't return home until after dark. I will be going out on that walk later on this afternoon though!

Karey, thanks as always for the excellent advice and ideas. I needed that too, as Frangi is definitely feeling it this week!!!

I feel like someone disassembled my spine, rib-cage, and hips, and put them all back together in the wrong place! Last night I had some pain in my lower hip and back that was killer -- so bad that I almost went running back to my Percocet. However, I decided to first try toughing it out with Tylenol and the pain went away after an hour or so. I'm not sure what that was all about, but I hope it doesn't happen again :thumbup::thumbdown::thumbup:!

This might be a good problem and it is most certainly a first for me, but I am dropping weight like crazy. Up until this point, every pound I've lost has been extremely hard won, but the weight loss since my PS has been absolutely astonishing!!!

I have lost another 6 pounds since returning home. I'm happy about this because I haven't quite reached goal yet, but once I do reach goal I think I'll need to add some calories to my diet.

I still have a 10 pound "cushion" between goal and my absolute ideal weight, but I want to be really healthy and ready for my next surgery. I assume that the next surgery will take some additional pounds off as well, so I want to try to stay as close to my current goal as possible once I reach it.

Anyhow, that's my update for today, but you'll probably hear from me later too :mellow::tongue::cool2:!

Frangi and Becky,

I am a slow loser and am wondering how many calories you two were eating on a "normal" day during the first 100 pounds of your loss. You both are such spectacular losers. I must admit, I hadn't even noticed your band dates until now, because I was so fascinated with your PS stories. Your weight loss stats are very enviable! Any input would be appreciated.

Becky and Frangi -

You are both doing great! Again, thanks for all the posts for us "Wannabees"!!

Thanks Jody!

Well, I just got back from my first walk -- 20 minutes only, and you're right Becky, it feels like starting from square one again!

When I started down my normal path my two favorite canine friends were right there -- Carmine the yappy, Bad A$$, Jack Russel Terrier and Hercules, the gentle giant Great Dane. It was sooooooo cute the way they were right there waiting -- almost as if they were expecting me. They walked along with me for about 10 minutes or so, with Carmine yapping at me the whole way. It was great to see them both!!!

It also felt very good to be out there exercising again. I hope as time goes on, it helps us with the swell hell as your Dr. says it should, Becky.

Frangi and Becky,

I am a slow loser and am wondering how many calories you two were eating on a "normal" day during the first 100 pounds of your loss. You both are such spectacular losers. I must admit, I hadn't even noticed your band dates until now, because I was so fascinated with your PS stories. Your weight loss stats are very enviable! Any input would be appreciated.

Foofy thanks :lol:! To answer your question, I attribute most of my success to exercise and lots of it. I did cardio for a minimum of one hour most days and on the weekends I would go often out for 2-3 hour hikes. I also watch what I eat pretty carefully and try to keep my calorie intake at between 1000 - 1500 calories per day. I try to limit my carb intake, but I do believe in having some carbs each day, mostly in the AM or early afternoon.

Thanks Frangi,

That's very motivating. I need to get my butt in gear. God knows I have no lack of places to walk to.... I was afraid you were going to say that you ate 700 calories a day, or something like that.

Just wanted to pop in and say "hello". Frangi, glad you got the rest you clearly needed! Even though naps aren't your norm glad you gave in...your body was telling you something. Congrats on your first walk! Well, first post surg walk anyway. Your canine companion comment made me smile :o

Hi Becky. WOO HOO for you too! Getting back into exercise SLOWLY is a very good thing! Glad your first time back went well. I hear you about sleeping on the right side. I'm deaf in my left ear (born that way) so I almost always sleep on my right side to block out extra noise. Not being able to do that would drive me nuts! Hopefully that continues and you are able to spend longer and longer periods of time on the right.

Hope you both continue to make great strides!

I'm three weeks post op today! I'm pretty happy with my progress so far and feeling good most of the time. I definitely have those weird twinges and aches that seem to come out of the blue. They feel like they are coming from my insides. I'm sure it is a natural part of the internal healing.

Yesterday I not only walked for a little over 30 minutes but I actually spent about an hour in the garden. I just did some pruning and pulled a few weeds. All very slow and gentle, but it felt great! I was really very active yesterday and can't tell that it made things any worse. I was still swollen, but no worse than usual.

Karey, I am still wearing a compression "device" about 22 hours a day because I feel better with the support. I have several that I wore before surgery and the doctor said they would be just fine at this stage. They are the "extra firm" support spanx-type garments. I still sleep in the thing from the hospital.

Foofy, like Frangi exercise has been my "secret weapon". I started exercising regularly about a month before my lapband surgery and just kept increasing the intensity, but never close to as much as Frangi did. I have a good metabolism naturally, so I am lucky that way. I still love to eat and I know I would never have been this successful if I'd been on a terribly restricted diet. During my early weight loss stage I probably consumed 1200 to 1500 calories a day and as I became more active, I settled in around 1500 to 1600 per day. I make conscious decisions everyday to move my body because every little bit does help. I think that most of us who have lost over 100 pounds in less than a year have done a lot of exercising. If you've read some of Salsa's posts, you can see that she has also been very successful.

Jody and Cori, thanks as always for checking in and offering your kind words of encouragement.

Becky: Sounds like your doing great. I think those little twitches are very normal. My ps said that there are a lot of stages to the healing of scars. First they get very hard and brittle (the internal ones) and then they soften up and break down. It's a bout a year process. Some of those twinges are that process I'm sure. I think last week I suddently noticed that I wasn't getting those when I did ab work anymore. That was a nice feeling! You're doing great!

Thanks Frangi,

That's very motivating. I need to get my butt in gear. God knows I have no lack of places to walk to.... I was afraid you were going to say that you ate 700 calories a day, or something like that.

Hey Foofy!

Of course some people will loose more quickly than others, but IMHO, exercise is truly the key. I know the weather is beautiful in MT right now -- so get yourself out on those trails girl!!!!

Just wanted to pop in and say "hello". Frangi, glad you got the rest you clearly needed! Even though naps aren't your norm glad you gave in...your body was telling you something. Congrats on your first walk! Well, first post surg walk anyway. Your canine companion comment made me smile :tt1:

Hi Becky. WOO HOO for you too! Getting back into exercise SLOWLY is a very good thing! Glad your first time back went well. I hear you about sleeping on the right side. I'm deaf in my left ear (born that way) so I almost always sleep on my right side to block out extra noise. Not being able to do that would drive me nuts! Hopefully that continues and you are able to spend longer and longer periods of time on the right.

Hope you both continue to make great strides!

Thanks Cori! Your sweet messages always make me smile :thumbup::smile::lol:!

I'm three weeks post op today! I'm pretty happy with my progress so far and feeling good most of the time. I definitely have those weird twinges and aches that seem to come out of the blue. They feel like they are coming from my insides. I'm sure it is a natural part of the internal healing.

Yesterday I not only walked for a little over 30 minutes but I actually spent about an hour in the garden. I just did some pruning and pulled a few weeds. All very slow and gentle, but it felt great! I was really very active yesterday and can't tell that it made things any worse. I was still swollen, but no worse than usual.

Karey, I am still wearing a compression "device" about 22 hours a day because I feel better with the support. I have several that I wore before surgery and the doctor said they would be just fine at this stage. They are the "extra firm" support spanx-type garments. I still sleep in the thing from the hospital.

Becky, congrats on being three weeks post-op, tomorrow I will be too. Can you believe that it's been three weeks already? My head is spinning!!!!

I agree regarding exercise. I can't say that it makes a difference with the Fluid levels, but it sure does help with the energy levels.

You're doing wonderfully!!! Thanks for sharing about what you're doing with compression garments.

Have a great night everyone!!!

Hey Foofy!

Of course some people will loose more quickly than others, but IMHO, exercise is truly the key. I know the weather is beautiful in MT right now -- so get yourself out on those trails girl!!!!

I'll do it!! I just got back from 6 hours of whitewater rowing on the Blackfoot River (of "A River Runs Through It" fame). Gorgeous scenary, great high Water, lots of fun. My arms are TIRED. I was a little worried because someone drowned on the river a few days ago, but they didn't have a good boat and weren't wearing life jackets, so....

Edited by Foofy

Foofy, like Frangi exercise has been my "secret weapon". I started exercising regularly about a month before my lapband surgery and just kept increasing the intensity, but never close to as much as Frangi did. I have a good metabolism naturally, so I am lucky that way. I still love to eat and I know I would never have been this successful if I'd been on a terribly restricted diet. During my early weight loss stage I probably consumed 1200 to 1500 calories a day and as I became more active, I settled in around 1500 to 1600 per day. I make conscious decisions everyday to move my body because every little bit does help. I think that most of us who have lost over 100 pounds in less than a year have done a lot of exercising. If you've read some of Salsa's posts, you can see that she has also been very successful.

Becky, that is music to my ears. If I can do as well as you beautiful ladies without having to exist on Sugarfree Jello and air, I will be a very happy girl!! Thanks for the input!

I'll do it!! I just got back from 6 hours of whitewater rowing on the Blackfoot River (of "A River Runs Through It" fame). Gorgeous scenary, great high Water, lots of fun. My arms are TIRED. I was a little worried because someone drowned on the river a few days ago, but they didn't have a good boat and weren't wearing life jackets, so....

Hey Foofy!

Sounds beautiful!!!

Hey Foofy!

Of course some people will loose more quickly than others, but IMHO, exercise is truly the key.

"Loose more????" This is your brain on drugs LOL :thumbup::biggrin::lol:!

You girls sound like you are doing GREAT!

Frangi - the pics are amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing them. Imagine how much fun you are going to have shopping for lingerie!!!