Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frangipani & TexasBecky get Reconstructed

Karri------if your pain pump is like mine, it is a round shaped IV sort of bag, and when it is empty it would just hang out with your drains until you see the Dr. the next time, it won't be a big deal if it remains in, even when it is empty----not something to worry over!!!

Good to hear. I think this is how it is going to be. I have surgery on the 3rd and see the doctor on the 9th. I will not be staying overnight. My Tummy Tuck will be done outpatient.

Hi all! I'm not surprised Frangi hasn't called today. I do think that once all the anesthesia is out of your system and you start trying to manage the pain with meds it takes a day or two to adjust. She is probably really tired and sore. I bet we will hear from her tomorrow.

I am feeling better today, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. It is pretty bad pain. Moving around helps, but it is hard to get up and down and walking is very, very slow.

Salsa, in answer to your question about the pain meds; on the day of surgery I had i.v. meds and oral meds all day. The second day I had pain shots and oral meds. Yesterday and today I've had oral only and I've taken them every four hours without fail. I'm also taking xanax (anti anxiety) 3 times a day and a sleeping pill at night. All of this and I really am not out of my mind or even sleeping constantly. Maybe I have a high tolerance to pain meds, but I think it is because I really am experiencing heavy duty pain and I need heavy duty meds. The doctor told me to stay on the schedule I'm on and we can start cutting back by early to mid week coming up.

I did have an issue yesterday morning with an area about two inches long on my back side coming open and having to be sutured before I left the hospital. Today another area about an inch long came open also. My sister called the doctor and discussed it. He gave her instructions on how to bandage it and I will have to go in tomorrow instead of Tuesday as we'd planned. He says this is very common and one of the difficulties of being cut 360 degrees. It is just hard not to have pulling somewhere along all these cuts. All of my sutures are internal except for the ones that had to be added yesterday to my back side. DermaBond is the surgical glue that I'm sealed up with on the outside. Its suppossed to help with minimal scaring.

I've been out of the binder twice now for showers and I can tell I'm more swollen today than yesterday, but all and all, I think things are looking pretty good. It looks like most of my stretch marks are gone, and so far I can't even tell where my port is or even the original port scar.

Thank goodness for the tip about the elevated toilet seat ladies. I'd never have thought of it, but I say everyone should put it on their lists of post-op must haves.

I've been up for a couple of hours now so I'm going to lay down for a while. Thank you all for checking on me and sending the healing vibes. Jody, when you talk to Frangi give her my love and best wishes. Becky

I am glad you updated us!! I was getting worried. I can't even imagine the pain. I will certainly tell Frangi for you. I hope she calls tomorrow.

Hopefully you will feel less pain tomorrow.

Becky: STill on vacation, but was able to get on the internet for a second. I feel for you. The pain starts to take it's toll when it's constant and doesn't really let up. You're going to be able to move a lot easier soon, I promise. By this time next week, some of the pain will be a distant memory. Do you know anyone who does lymphatic massage? I had one about every 3 days for a while and it really helps with the swelling and your sense of well being. I would call around and see if you can find someone who does it. My doctor's office provided this, but lots of massage therapist know this technique. Anyway, life will get back to normal, I promise! Wish you and Frangi the best!

Hi everyone,

I spoke to Frangi today. She didn't call yesterday because it was Father's Day. She is doing amazingly well!! Today she went to lunch and then to Walgreen's to pick up a few items. She is out of the hospital and at the hotel. She is not really in pain. It was amazing to hear her voice back to normal.

Becky - she sends big hugs your way. Frangi may post a bit tonight if she can.

I so hoped I was going to log on and see a post from Frangi, but I am glad she checked in with Jody and is doing so well. Hopefully she will post tomorrow.

Today was a much better day for me. I started cutting back on the pain pills and did just fine. I saw the doctor this afternoon and he did put in a few more stitches on my hip where it had opened up a little. He said I looked great and have nothing to worry about. I had four drains and he took one of them out today. I'll see him again on Friday morning and will probably get rid of at least one more drain.

My sister leaves tomorrow morning, so we just had to go out for Mexican food tonight. I'm still walking slow, but I don't think I really attracted any attention at the restaurant. I was also able to go to Walgreens for a couple of things. Unfortunately the stool softeners aren't doing the trick so looks like tomorrow I'll be taking a laxative.

I am tired tonight from all the activity but I hope today was the turning point for me. I'll check in tomorrow. Becky

Hello ladies! SO glad to hear that you are both doing well (or as well as can be expected at this point!) and that you are experiencing daily improvement. I've no doubt you both loook fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Please, continue to take it easy and take good care of yourselves!

I so hoped I was going to log on and see a post from Frangi, but I am glad she checked in with Jody and is doing so well. Hopefully she will post tomorrow.

Today was a much better day for me. I started cutting back on the pain pills and did just fine. I saw the doctor this afternoon and he did put in a few more stitches on my hip where it had opened up a little. He said I looked great and have nothing to worry about. I had four drains and he took one of them out today. I'll see him again on Friday morning and will probably get rid of at least one more drain.

My sister leaves tomorrow morning, so we just had to go out for Mexican food tonight. I'm still walking slow, but I don't think I really attracted any attention at the restaurant. I was also able to go to Walgreens for a couple of things. Unfortunately the stool softeners aren't doing the trick so looks like tomorrow I'll be taking a laxative.

I am tired tonight from all the activity but I hope today was the turning point for me. I'll check in tomorrow. Becky

Becky - I am so glad you are doing so well!! You and Frangi are amazing with your quick recoveries. I bet Frangi will post today. Unless she found a Stein Mart close by!!:P:lol:

Becky, reducing the pain meds will help with the Constipation as well.....you might try some juice. My DH when he had his open heart surgery (valve failure) he had to take his stool softner with a glass of OJ for it to work---go figure!!

Salsa---my TT was done as an outpatient procedure as well, and my pain pump worked without issue--I bet yours does too!!!

Take time to have things set up at home, and still try to do the raised toilet seat, and have things where you can easily get to them without jumping up and down. DH set up a TV tray thing next to my recliner, and everything was close at hand. The only thing I had to get up for----was getting up and moving!

I am 4 weeks out today, and other than a bit of drainage from where I had the infection, I am up and going as normal. Slowly getting used to just reaching in the closet and picking what to wear, by what I like as opposed to what provides the best coverage! People are still shocked when they see me, the belly had been there for so long!

Glad you are doing well enough to go out and about Becky----both you and Frangi had bigger surgeries than I did---sounds like you are doing great!!!

Kat

Hi Everyone,

I'm back and feeling great -- much, much better than I ever expected to at this point.

I just caught up on all of your posts and Jody kept me up to date as well. I simply cannot tell you how much I appreciated all of your kindness and support. Thank you SO much!!!

Becky, I'm sorry to hear that you got off to a rocky start with the pain but am very glad to see that things are getting better for you each day and that you are very pleased with the results.

My surgery went much better than I ever expected, despite the fact that the GYN part of the surgery turned out to be far more extensive than we thought. We knew that I had one very large fibroid tumor, but when the Dr. opened me up, he discovered 4 other tumors plus an ovarian cyst, all of which he removed. I was in surgery for about 8 hours.

As far as the drug questions that have come up. I had lots and lots of good drugs at my disposal -- more than I actually ended up needing. My doctors did a great job of making sure that good pain medication was there and available any time I needed it or asked for it.

For the first 36 hours or so after surgery I was on a PCA machine that allowed me to push a button to have morphine injected into my IV line every 6 minutes. Considering all that had been done to my uterus, I think that the the PCA was invaluable in keeping me comfortable, and I was in almost no pain. In fact, I was surprisingly quite comfortable that first night, which was such a huge relief for me.

On Saturday night they switched me over to Percocet taken by mouth and I would take a quantity of 2 (sorry don't know the strength) every four hours. One of the things I have learned from all you wonderful ladies is to "stay ahead" of the pain (i.e., don't wait for the pain to hit before taking medication), so that's what I have done.

Yesterday I was discharged from the hospital and I have been taking my perscription pain medication (Percocet 5mg quantity of 1) every three hours. So far, (knock on wood) this seems to be taking care of the pain just fine. In fact today, I will try to cut back on the pain meds even more.

Anyhow, overall I had an A+++++ experience with everything. The hospital was very nice, friendly, clean and comfortable and my Doctors were awesome.

Now for the fun stuff :smile:. Breasts! I have them :woot:! No more B cup!!!

We (well, he) used a 400cc silicone implant, which I was concerned would be too big BUT they are just the right size. They are very swollen right now, but I can tell that they will settle into a perfect size. I love the shape too, which is alway the thing I have disliked most about my breats.

I love, love, love the breasts, so far so good :tongue:! I also wanted to mention that I had virtually no pain from the breast surgery. The first day I was a bit sore and stiff in the chest area, but that went away quickly and the only problem I'm having now is that I keep dropping food down my bra because I forget how far the breast are protruding from my chest when I eat :thumbup::lol:

Tummy -- I never would have believed this in a million years, but the tummy is flat! Woo hoo!!!! I like the tummy a lot so far, but am not loving it just yet because the incisions are so raw an icky looking. I hope this clears up soon, but I am going to be visiting my Dr. tomorrow to get his feedback on all of this. That said, he seems to have pulled me very tight, which I assume is standard practice. He also did a fabulous job on the mons area, as well.

Well, this post seems to have turned into a novel at this point, so I will stop here and post again later.

Thanks again and big hugs to everyone -- you have all been just fabulous!!!!

Becky my dear girlfriend, big hugs and lots of love headed over to Dallas for you. :smile::smile::smile:

We made it Woo Hoo!!!:tt1:

Now for the fun stuff :lol:. Breasts! I have them :tt1:! No more B cup!!!

Hi there. :thumbup: I've been following this and many other blow-by-blow accounts of PS experiences. I'm a somewhat shy poster, but when I saw the above, I just had to congratulate you on your b00bs! I laughed out loud when I read your enthusiastic report.

Best to you and Becky in the coming days.

Legs

p.s. Maybe you could get a small hamster to live in your bra to help with clean-up after meals. :tongue: (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Frangi,

Glad to see you posting! It was wonderful to be your "reporter"!!!

Becky,

Sounds like you are also feeling much better. I hope so! You two already out to dinner. Amazing!!

What are you ladies wearing right now? Are your binders/compression garments obvious? The reason I'm asking is that if I have surgery in early August (which is when I'd like to have it), I'll probably be going back to teaching while I'll still be in a binder or garment, and I don't want everyone and his brother to know that I'm wearing one.

Laurend, I'm wearing a very simple compression garment that wraps around and secures with velcro. It fits from under my bust to just above the pubic area. It does not show under my clothes. What does show is the bag that I'm carrying my drains in. It is like a fanny pack and I stuff the drains inside the bag and the bag under my shirt. It just makes a big lump. They could probably be hidden better if I was really trying to conceal them. You probably would have the drains two weeks at the most though, so maybe they'd be a non issue by the time you're back at school.

Kat, I think you're absolutely right about the pain meds. I started cutting back yesterday and, voila, no need for the laxative afterall. I am still taking the Colace and added Gerber apple prune juice to the routine also. Sorry to discuss BM's, but trust me, when everything is sore and stitched and glued, straining is not something you want to do!

Hi LJM, you know I always like to hear from you!

Frangi! You are one tough lady. So glad you are feeling good. Sounds like everything went even better than planned. Except of course the extra tumors and cysts. Any worries about those? Was the doctor at all concerned? I assume they'll do routine pathology on them and you'll get the all clear this week. Do let us know.

You lucky girl with perky new breasts! I would have loved the instant gratification of that, but mine look even more pathetic now, lol! So what does 400cc net you? Is that a large C cup? I guess it is different on everybody and until the swelling goes down it is probably hard to tell for sure.

I totally relate to the tummy thing. I can tell it is going to be good, but so far the scaring is very vivid, I'm pretty bruised, and fairly swollen, so its hard to fully appreciate it. My butt is the best looking thing thus far. No bruises and it is high and tight - no sag at all. Woo Hoo!

It is so great to be on the healing side of this now. I love hearing your details, so keep writing the novel. It sounds like we've had a fairly similar experience, although my surgery was only 6 hours, the doctors and nurses did all comment on how quickly I woke up too and how very alert I was. They said it is a sign of being in very good physical condition and having a very good anesthesiologist! Both good things! Sounds like we've even been on the same pain pills. Gotta love Percocet!

Keep resting and relaxing. My butt does hurt from so much sitting!