Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are some things you did to shrink your liver prior to surgery? I know I my doc wants me to get to 50 bmi and try to shrink my liver as much as possible but I was wondering what other people did to accomplish this.

I have to be on a low carb-high protien diet. I can do the low carb but the high protien is killing me!!! :thumbup: I don't know if I want to go through with it because he says if he goes in to do the surgery and my liver is still too big.... he won't band me! See the thing is .... when I met with the nutritionist ... he didn't mention the high protien and now 3 days before surgery going over my packed I see 70 for protien ... yeah NO! So I am really wondering about this!!!!!!!! So if I were you I'd ask for specific instructions. So it doesn't fall back on you.....

well i started the process with a bmi of 59 i did the Optifast for ten days before my surgery lost 18 lbs and the doctor said my liver was great but he thinks even tho i am as big as i was that he didn't think my liver was that big to begin with.

I used clear Isopure (from GNC) and Protein Shakes from Unjury (purchased on line). That was only for three days and it did the trick! Lost 15 pounds...BMI of 50 :w00t:

Edited by ChristyC

I think that the reduction in calories and fats, and any stored carbs within the liver is reduced. I know that the stomach lies UNDER the liver, which is very large to begin with. They have to "retract" it out of the way, and I am sure it is for easier surgery, less hassle and trauma to you. Don't concern yourself, :w00t: just do it. I am always very curious too!! Smile

What are some things you did to shrink your liver prior to surgery? I know I my doc wants me to get to 50 bmi and try to shrink my liver as much as possible but I was wondering what other people did to accomplish this.

My doctor wanted me to shrink my liver as well. He put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet.

Breakfast - 1 Slim Fast shake

lunch - Lean Cuisine

dinner - Lean Cuisine

SF Jell-O, SF pudding and 100 calorie yogurt. I was allowed salad greens with lemon juice (I couldn't hack that so I used a Vinegar/Pom juice dressing which was 35 calories). SF popsicles were allowed as well.

No diet soda or regular soda. Water (and lots of it) and Crystal Light.

I lost 17 pounds before my surgery. I was on this diet for 3 weeks.

any diet shrinks your liver the question is how fast. When you lose weight or gain it the first place it comes and goes is your liver. I got my Optifast from my doctors office im sure you can probably get it online also.

My brother-in-law had to do a three week pre op diet and the reason was to flatten the liver. My surgeon doesn't do it. I was told that I had fat around my liver- I knew it from past tests and from the abdominal pictures they took pre band. Then the surgeon told my husband as well. Supposedly, that will go away, at least to some extent, by the weight loss. I hope so. What he said was, this is curable.....but if she went on as she has been, it could be scirhosis (sp) of the liver. So, that was just another reason to be happy I did this.

Gwenn

Gillian,

Have you been losing steadily or did you have dives and plateaus since banding. I ask because I started with BMI of 55, lost 28 ish since, but last week has been up and down with same 2 pounds. I didn't think I'd hit a stop this soon. Seems too soon. Any thoughts?

Gwenn

yes i will lose like five or ten pounds in a week then nothing for three or four weeks so don't stress i also usually work out and watch what i eat.

I asked my doctor last week which aspect of the diet shrinks your liver. It is the low carb aspect that does the shrinking. weirdly it is referred to as a fatty liver but it is carbs that cause that fat. Look for low carb shakes and start an Atkins type of dieting earlier. I am going with Atkins for a month and then 2 weeks liquid. My doctor requires 1 week low carb of 2 shakes a day and a sensible dinner and then one week full liquids.< /p>