Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Linda, glad you are doing so well.

Apples, how are you feeling today?

Lori, how is it going with your new knee?

Well, I got rid of the sweets, but my eating habits are not back in gear. I am snacking(cheese) to much. Gonna start working on that today and start back walking.

Apples, hugs to you on your pain, hang in there.

Linda, glad you are doing so well with your hip. I too am trying to get back to real food. When I think about it so much is based around food in all the celebrations for me also. I love to cook for everyone, and it seems when you do something it envolves going out to eat along with it.

Have almost all the goodies out of the house now keep giving/taking them away to others. Kids are finishing off what it left because I told them it was getting thrown away.

Laura K

Morning all, my sick baby kept me pretty busy all day.. Had to take her to the clinic at 4:00.... She has double ear infection..... So antibiotics once a day and Tylenol and Motrin alternatley....for the fever... Haven't heard anything this morning so am expecting her at 9:45.....She pretty much just wanted to sit with me yesterday... She did play with Pa Pa a bit when the fever broke...

Apples, hope this stone passes sooner rather than later.. I'm sure sorry you have to go through this now.. At least it waited until after all the festivities.... Be well, dear......

Lori, glad you are rested and doing well,

Cheri, I hear everything you were talking about and sympathize..... I know very little about the ADHA stuff but know it sure causes problems when not controlled... Good luck with all your new plans....

Laura, good to hear from you... Your dad seems to be moving along in good ways... Rest and then give us all the details of your trip... I know you'll be glad to be home...

Laura K and Arlene......., I'm about like you... Most all the bad stuff is gone.....now I just have to get back in the swing...

Linda, your NYE tradition sounds yummy... We do a german thing with knoephla like that but not for any tradition..... just a good meal once in a while.... with kraut and sausage and bacon.... very good....

Melissa, good thing I don't have kidney stones cuz I couldn't drink beer if my life depended on it.. I hate that stuff.....

Janet, are you working away????? Your company leaves today I believe... Will be nice to get back to normal again.....

I seem to be okay.... Shoulder pain isn't as bad as before so I'm manageing with it... Talked to Ins yesterday and have to go through an appeal process to get my MRI... so got started with that.... NUTS!!!! I lost weight over the holidays, so that is good.... Now lets see if I can get back to eating right and still lose weight......

You all take care now and have a good day... Gotta go get ready for my baby..... Hugs to all........ Julie

Well my 'long winters nap' yesterday sure didn't affect my ability to sleep last night. LOL Just got up after 11 hours of sleep, did wake up a few times for pain pills but think the old body is getting the rest and recuperating it needed after overdoing it over Christmas eve, Christmas day, and the day after for my mom's bday. Then shopping the next day didn't help. I'm feeling better each day too, lots less pain last night. Usually night time I wake up with horrible pain and didn't do that much last night at all. I'm totally on my own today too as DD went back to work and I have no therapy for DH to come home to take me too. Tomorrow I have therapy and DS is taking me. I am hoping to be able to drive after New Years. It's my driving leg this time however and a little more difficult than last time. I'm tempted to try driving right around the neighborhood and see how it goes. I thought of going up the rec center I work at and doing some of my therapy exercises there, but it's so far from the car into the place I'd be worn out before I got there.

Julie, hope Mimi is feeling better soon.

Apples, hope those stones have passed, though I understand that's the most painful part but then it's over right? til next time anyway.

Linda, good luck on getting that next fill. I too worry about gaining it back, think it's natural after having been so overweight for so long and always gaining it back in the past. I can't believe I've kept it off for 6 mos already though.

Hi everyone. Hope you're all enjoying the post-holiday lull. My daughter and her partner are here visiting until tomorrow (I think), and I hate to say it but I'm kinda getting tired of them. That's bad, I know. I'm not crazy about her GF and she sorta drives me nuts. I was prepared for this and kept telling myself that I'd just stay calm and let things wash over me. Hah. But on the order of things to be upset about, this is really minor.

Apples, I"m really sorry to hear about those kidney stones; I've heard that are horribly painful. I hope you get through these ok. I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

I went a little cookie crazy and ate too many over Xmas (nothing like I would have pre-band though). I'm back on track though. It is weird though, sometimes I'm too tight and I PB and other times it seems like I can eat anything. Perhaps it's stress or something. I was scheduled for a fill but I cancelled it---just didn't think I was ready yet. I don't have very much in my band at all.

New Year's traditions---Well, because my one grandfather was German, we'd always have pork and sauerkraut for dinner. And my grandma was Scottish, so they'd go "first-footing" and visiting around the neighbors. The tradition is that the first person in the door that day should be a tall dark man (for good luck). My grandfather was tall and dark-haired, so they'd be the bringers of good luck! And, of course, a lot of drinking gets done on Hogmanay (the Scots word for New year's).

I didn't mention everyone (still havent learned all the names yet), but I hope everyone has a good New Year's. We usually stay home and don't do much celebrating (we're become old stick-in-the-muds).

[quote name='Apples2;1384921

Janet...got the sympathy and hugs....they arrived shortly after you sent them! Thanks. :biggrin:

Apples - You crack me up :0) - Hope today is a better day - I know you haven't had an episode in a while - Hugs Again - My tolerance for pain is so so - but I hear stones are worse than having a baby :0)...

Mom bought me 3 Talbot's XL sweaters for Christmas that fit perfect. They tend to run on the slim side for me' date=' So nice to be in 16 pants and XL tops. I felt nice and not frumpy today.

Time for bed, my eyes are closing. Hugs to all.

peasout Laura[/quote']

Laura Glad you are having a good time and Dad seems to be moving in the right direction - Can't wait to see your pics ..

Good evening, just got done watching White Christmas, I have never watched that movie in all these years. I was surprised, just like It's a Wonderful Life, the movie really wasn't that Christmasy. the info said that movie was filmed in 1954, I can't believe it's that old. DD got a kick out of it, thought it was corny.

My little nap today turned into be 3 1/2 hours. Guess I really was tired and worn out. Can I do it again tomorrow? LOL I am doing nothing but resting.

Great - I agree White Christmas isn't really a Xmas movie IMHO - and humor from then to today is totally diff.. Sounds like you needed that nap... I think sleep is healing - when I am sick I sleep alot...

Hi everyone! -I haven't gotten to see Avitar yet but I do want to see it. Previews look fabulous. Janet, proud of you for throwing out the fudge. I went back to my regular food yesterday but have been so hungry. Thinking I may need another fill

I just checked and I've lost 14 lbs. since my last one so I think I probably could use another small one.

I plan to call tomorrow and see if they can get me in on Wednes. which is the regular fill day. Our weather looks good, so it would be a good day for the 80 miles each way trip.

Cleaned the bathrooms yesterday and kitchen today. Am hoping I can talk DH into getting out the Christmas boxes so I can get the Christmas decorations put away in the next day or two. We put them up at Thanksgiving so I am more than ready to get them down and get the house completely clean again. Harder to clean with all the Christmas stuff around. Lori, good going on the bend on the knee -- glad you are doing so well. I have therapy tomorrow -- looking forward to seeing how they advance me this week -- I'm anxious to get back to something aerobic -- hopefully I can maybe ride a recumbant bike this week -- they said "maybe". I hope so. I want to get back to my exercise routine.

Our NY tradition (being basically German/Austrian) was pork, Kielbasa and sauerkraut -- for prosperity and luck. So I usually make that -- I used to always have big NYE parties at my house and cook and serve the buffet right at midnight -- I miss those days -- I should start doing some of that again now that I'm pretty well reestablished (we've lived here five years already) with lots of friends. Maybe next year. I have converted many people who thought they didn't like sauerkraut -- I cook it a long time in a slow temperature (300) with lots of garlic and smokey paprika. Yum. I usually make homemade piergies to go with it as well. So good, but so fattening. It's weird how our entire lives revolved around food. I talked to my sister yesterday. She's never had a weight problem and has never been much of a cook or really cared much about food. I asked her about her Christmas day dinner and she said, "well, I made a prime rib but really didn't do anything special -- she made instant mashed potatoes (yuck) and frozen green Beans and that was that! She baked nothing for the holidays and they have no plans for NYE. I wish I were more like her in how I approach food. I was sort of disgusted with myself this year cause I just ate for 3 days straight over Christmas -- so like Janet and Cheri, I do worry about gaining it all back -- it would be so easy just to eat and keep on eating all my favorite foods. But when I went back to my healthy eating, it was a relief and I am happy with it again. So that's good.

Well, gotta get some sleep. Have a good one everyone. Linda

Linda - I gotta say I would have never chosen to see Avatar but it is a good movie - long but good.. WTG on the 14 lbs

I think we all are afraid of gaining - I have kept the weight off for 1.5 yrs - but know if I let my guard down - it could so easliy come back on..

I would love to take my stuff christmas stuff down - but just not feeling it today :0)

Linda, glad you are doing so well.

Apples, how are you feeling today?

Lori, how is it going with your new knee?

Well, I got rid of the sweets, but my eating habits are not back in gear. I am snacking(cheese) to much. Gonna start working on that today and start back walking.

Charlene - I use to be a big cheese eater - read the calories on it - that's what stops me - it's too high in calories for me

Wtg on getting back to exercise - I saw something this morning on the news - Snow Texas - is it in your area?? How's your pain issues..

Apples, hugs to you on your pain, hang in there.

Linda, glad you are doing so well with your hip. I too am trying to get back to real food. When I think about it so much is based around food in all the celebrations for me also. I love to cook for everyone, and it seems when you do something it envolves going out to eat along with it.

Have almost all the goodies out of the house now keep giving/taking them away to others. Kids are finishing off what it left because I told them it was getting thrown away.

Laura K

LauraK - Yep Holiday's and food - we never made the xmas Cookies - had enough junk :0) didn't need anymore...

Morning all, my sick baby kept me pretty busy all day.. Had to take her to the clinic at 4:00.... She has double ear infection..... So antibiotics once a day and Tylenol and Motrin alternatley....for the fever... Haven't heard anything this morning so am expecting her at 9:45.....She pretty much just wanted to sit with me yesterday... She did play with Pa Pa a bit when the fever broke...

Janet, are you working away????? Your company leaves today I believe... Will be nice to get back to normal again.....

I seem to be okay.... Shoulder pain isn't as bad as before so I'm manageing with it... Talked to Ins yesterday and have to go through an appeal process to get my MRI... so got started with that.... NUTS!!!! I lost weight over the holidays, so that is good.... Now lets see if I can get back to eating right and still lose weight......

You all take care now and have a good day... Gotta go get ready for my baby..... Hugs to all........ Julie

Yep Julies I am home today - hope Mimi is feeling better - glad shoulder not too bad - WTG on fighting the stupid Ins Companies..

Hi everyone. Hope you're all enjoying the post-holiday lull. My daughter and her partner are here visiting until tomorrow (I think), and I hate to say it but I'm kinda getting tired of them. That's bad, I know. I'm not crazy about her GF and she sorta drives me nuts. I was prepared for this and kept telling myself that I'd just stay calm and let things wash over me. Hah. But on the order of things to be upset about, this is really minor.

Apples, I"m really sorry to hear about those kidney stones; I've heard that are horribly painful. I hope you get through these ok. I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

I went a little cookie crazy and ate too many over Xmas (nothing like I would have pre-band though). I'm back on track though. It is weird though, sometimes I'm too tight and I PB and other times it seems like I can eat anything. Perhaps it's stress or something. I was scheduled for a fill but I cancelled it---just didn't think I was ready yet. I don't have very much in my band at all.

New Year's traditions---Well, because my one grandfather was German, we'd always have pork and sauerkraut for dinner. And my grandma was Scottish, so they'd go "first-footing" and visiting around the neighbors. The tradition is that the first person in the door that day should be a tall dark man (for good luck). My grandfather was tall and dark-haired, so they'd be the bringers of good luck! And, of course, a lot of drinking gets done on Hogmanay (the Scots word for New year's).

I didn't mention everyone (still havent learned all the names yet), but I hope everyone has a good New Year's. We usually stay home and don't do much celebrating (we're become old stick-in-the-muds).

Deb - I don't care for my stepbro's gf either - I like you try and just go w/the flow for the holidays :0) - all in all it won't be that bad and I hear you on ready for them to go - love the visit - but you want to get back to your normal routine.. We tend to become very routine in our old age lol. My trainer is 43 and he doesn't want to go out for NYE either - but his 37 yr old gf does ;0)

Good Morning Gang...

The kids just left ;o( - I will be worried till they get home safely - I worry about them on the road - I guess it's the insurance person in me - Accidents...

I ate good yesterday - didn't get up to eat last night - In fact I slept quite well - got up at 6:30 ( had my coffee - went to the gym did my 3.5 mile burned 500 cal

Got home at 8:15 everyone still asleep ... I have more energy than my 32 yr old DIL and my 38 yr old son..

Got the house packed up (all their xmas presents) and packed in the truck - had to cover stuff as they may hit some rain on their way home

I think every towel in the house is dirty - have one load started - sheets stripped - My Sis and DH are coming soon - I need to call them to find out when..

I haven't been on the scales yet - I don't think I will get on till Thursday - I am afraid of what they say..

I threw out the last piece of cake this morning since Joseph was leaving - proud that I didn't eat any last night...

Back to healthy eating and getting all my days in at the gym - no more oh I can miss today :0)

This morning Joseph said - "You have been to the gym already this morning" - "you don't play around do you" - nope dear I don't want to be over weight again - I gotta be serious about this - It's my life we are talking about..

Well time to put towels in dryer and another load in the wash..

Glad to have the house back to normal - Like I said I loved all the family - but am glad to get back to my normal stuff...

CBL

Janet, my pain issues were doing good the last couple of days, but we are going to get rain and the ol IBS has come by for a visit. I will start that new medicine on New Years.

I don't think Houston will get snow, but Dallas will get it.

Charlene

Hugs on the Ibs - my Aunt had major bowel issues - and had to take vicodin daily..

Snow is Dallas OMW that's a rarity isn't it..

Just ate 4 oz of what was left of my prime rib - and yes I did weigh it :0) I do that every now and then to ck my eye balls don't want them growing on me :0)...

Watching tv - reading a magazine - washing - really would like a nap - it's almost noon..

Got my fish out defrosting for dinner - need to go to the post office but have till 1/31 to return my qvc coat...

I don't feel like getting dressed - I'm still in my workout clothes from this morning - May shower and put on jammies/sweats and call it a day ;0) - there tons that I could and should be doing BUT ....

Why do anything today what I can put off till tomorrow That's my motto today... lol... ;):laugh::w00t::tt2:

Hi all,

Just finished going through closets and sweater drawers. My mother went through my clothes and took quite a few. Saved some of my recently bought XLs for my daughter who is a couple of inches taller than me and wears some XLs. Everything else to the thrift store.

My husband bought me a big, tall jewelry chest so sorting jewelry, throwing out underwear, and getting rid of two drawers of huge t-shirts that I get every year from the Roseland Christian School Walkathon will be next. I have at least 9 of them and then some others people gave me.

I have only 1/2 of a closet rack of clothes left. I need a nice sweat suit for walking outdoors and an indoor workout outfit. I need another couple of pairs of nice pants for work. I really don't wear heavy sweaters.

I like to wear pretty stretch cotton 3/4 or long sleeve tees with a lightweight sweater I can take off over them. They're making such pretty decorated tees now, and I bought a number of them from Kohls. I have a charcoal and a black lightweight sweater to wear over them (no buttons). Need a beige or brown sweater yet.

Got new bras, got new underwear. Man I hate bra shopping. Everybody's boobs must be shaped way differently than mine. Once you figure out size, then you've got to try on every variety to see what actually works.

So, just a few things and I'm set till spring/summer. That's a wardrobe I totally have to replace. I'm pretty determined to really limit my clothes buying. Free me up from "stuff." My husband will actually be able to use one of our bedroom dressers which will allow us to put the rubbermaid dresser he's been using in our back sitting room down in the basement where it belongs.

Getting rid of "stuff" is incredibly freeing. The trick is not replacing it with more "stuff." I'm between a 12 and 14 in pants and I'm a L on top. At 5'9", those are really "normal" sizes to be in. I'm only going to buy stuff I absolutely need and love. Probably a lot of thrift store visits to save $.

My DB and DSIL and their grown DD, DS, and DDIL decided to come here from MI and stay at my DM's overnite so will be seeing them tomorrow aft and eve. So all my kids and GK's will be going there as well as my DSis's family.

My sons work for the same company and have been furloughed over the holidays and will only be working 4 days/wk when they go back. I know it takes a long time once a recession has ended before joblessness improves, but I surely hope it does soon.

I also hope they straighten out healthcare soon. The cost of medical care has sent so many jobs overseas and employers have made so many people part-time in order to avoid paying benefits, and so many would-be businesses don't get off the ground because of fear of no coverage, that I don't think employment will really improve, nor will decent wages be paid until health care costs are shared more fairly and contained, and everyone has access to equal benefits without overwhelming out-of-pocket costs and denial of coverage for every little thing. There, that's my rant.

So many members of my family have been impacted by unemployment or underemployment, and by the poorly run and unfair practice's of so many insurance companies that I can lose my serenity thinking about it. Especially when the top layer of administrators are walking off with obscene amounts of money that somehow don't get taxed.

Well, life's not fair. That's always the truth so I just have to accept that and get on with righting whatever injustices are within my power to change. That's why I teach where I teach. That's why I support the educational needs of a student in Africa. That's why I financially support my church's Take It To The Street ministries. That's why I walked that fine line between supporting my children but doing it in such a way that they became independent, contributing members of society.

At school this past semester, we worked on Acts of Kindness as a school body and published them on a wall as students and faculty brought in reports of what they'd done. The faculty and staff also were encouraged to write out Pats on the Back for each other that were published and displayed in the teacher's lounge.

On this thread we offer those pats on the back as well as the kind of support that walks that fine line between enabling people to continue in their food dysfunction or being overly critical and driving them into the food. We support people but also carefront them if that's needed.

My challenge for the new year is that we all expand our circle of influence by expanding those acts of kindness and pats on the back to all our acquaintances and beyond.

Let's ring in justice, mercy, and encouragement to the oppressed and the depressed.

That's my anti-rant.

Just got done watching another oldie, Holiday Inn , with Big Crosby and Fred Astaire, never saw before either. Now it's about nap time. LOL

I went through closets today too. I had hung stuff in the spare bedroom 3 yrs ago when we moved into this house that was way too small. They were clothes that I had gotten about 15 yrs ago when I lost a lot of weight, they were mostly 16's. I remembered feeling so good when I could wear them and I hung on to them to fit into some day. Well somehow I just passed them on by, they are way too big. But why I hung to them I don't know they were so dated, big shoulder pads, pleated pants with very high waists, etc. But in away it was hard to get rid of them too as I remember feeling so good in them, but truth be told, I feel even better in my clothes now, so they went into the Goodwill bag as well. I have 3 bags to drop off, want to do that by the 31st so I can get a receipt for 2009 for taxes.

Tonight we are going to the place my daughters wedding will be for a food tasting to pick the menu, I think we are sampling a beef dish and a chicken dish, of course, gotta have beef and chicken. LOL Not sure how much of a tasting it is vs a meal if we should do dinner or not. Guess will do the tasting first and if still hungry grab a bite on the way home.

Janet, sounds like you are having a lazy day like me. Kindda nice!

Arlene, hope the pain subsides.

Apples, worried about you since your post last night, hope the stones aren't worse.

Hi all. Apples, hugs, hope you're doing okay today with those stones. Janet, you enjoy your day of rest -- you deserve to lay around in your pjs if that's what you want to do -- you've been so busy the past several months. Proud of you for continuing at the gym. I wish I could get back to my regular routine especially since I ate those three days -- I'm lso worried about what the scale will say. I decided to wait until next Tues. to weigh just so I don't get discouraged. Good news is I called my surgeon and he's okayed me to return to Water aerobics as long as I am very careful. So, I will go tomororw afternoon with DH. Yeah. That should help me feel a little healthier. Went to therapy this a.m. -- it is too easy for me -- I wish they would/could challenge me a bit more -- they say it's just cause I'm in such good shape and that's why it seems easy for me. Then we went to store (again, I swear we go to grocery store constantly -- there's always something we need). Got some great bargains -- Christmas cards for $1 which were originally $10.00 -wow! I'm so cheap -- lol. Got some little flavored coffees for 50 cents that were $2.99 originally -- makes a full pot, so good deal as well. And, it was good -- white chocolate eggnog flavor. A little sweet, but a nice change of pace -- not soemthing I'd want constantly but a nice dessert coffee.

Arlene, I'm with you - I'm a cheese lover and I could just eat it forever. LOL. We must quit with that however.

CBL, someone's on the phone. Linda

I am trying to increase my veggies, since being banded I have concentrated so much on Protein that I know I am not getting nearly enough. Today I tried some steamed veggies, brocolli, carrots,sugar snap peas...I am having trouble with both the snap peas and the brocolli getting stuck.

I could sure use some tips from the experienced banders on how you add veggies to their diets and which ones.

Happy New Years!

Hey All...it's been a "B" of a day. Thanks for being concerned. I can tell that the stone(s) is on the move. Starts in the back and now the pain is radiating towards the front. I can always tell when it's going to hit the tube...pain in the groin area. Not even close to that yet. I usually pass on my own within 48 hours or so. I could feel this coming on many days ago and hoping that was not what I was feeling.

Sorry but cannot comment today. Don't even have advice for Dee cuz I can eat any veggie. Later.

Lord, give me a couple weeks off and I really get verbose. Thanks all for putting up with all my verbage.

Cheri

Steam or pressure cook the veggies till a little softer or stir-fry them a little longer in olive oil and pre-cut them into smaller pieces so the insides cook and aren't as hard. You might lose a few Vitamins but you'll still get most of them, and the flavor, and you're less likely to pb if they're soft. I like to add some Promise margarine and lemon and Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic to steamed or pressure cooked veggies. Makes them moister and less likely to pb. Or Promise and parmesian cheese which is lower fat. I also sometimes sprinkle low fat cheddar on the cooked veggies and nuke just enough to melt the cheese. Helps them go down better and slide through easier. I can eat raw lettuces in salads as long as they have an Italian or Greek vinaigrette type dressing on them and are cut small. Again, the oil, which is good for you in small amounts, helps them slide through. Shredded carrots and red cabbage and onion in the lettuce go down. Tomatoes go down. Mushrooms, cut small, go down. Big chunks don't. Raw celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. need to be very tiny pieces and eaten very cautiously. Low-fat dip helps them slide down.

Or you can get your veggies in Soup. I'm not a big veggies fan, especially raw, and if you eat too many veggies you might not eat enough Protein because they take up so much space in your stomach. Or if you eat the protein first, the veggies are too bulky to fit on top. So I turn them into sliders before I eat the meat and then the meat will stay in my pouch and keep me feeling full but I'll have had some veggies, too.

Another problem with veggies is they create gas and bloating which can make you very uncomfortable if they're still in your pouch on top of the meat and you get pain half an hour after you've eaten. That's the worst cause you can't pb it out.

Cheri

Cheri