Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Oh my word you all got busy this afternoon

82 cards Julie - I was bushed after 27 cards.... Sorry about DD struggles - I know how it goes - been there done that..

Laura - Love the pic of Nels & GBH - Great Job !!! Keep us posted on your Dad..

And Yes dear Nelson will eat when he's hungry - Pushing him to eat when he's not hungry isn't good - that's how we get fat - yes it's those things we learned in childhood that leads up to our obesity - like cleaning our plates cuz of straving kids in china.. I am glad the light bulb went off :0)..

Apples - ok I am going to try the steel oats - will cook them tonite cuz I don't have 30 min in the morning to do it.. (Phyl - I got them at Winco - QuakerOats - just a normal style box) I have splenda and sf maple syrup..

We all appreciate your sharing :0) - We love your cooking

It's so funny when I sat down on the couch to veg after doing my cards - had a 20 min nap and thought - this is why apples can eat 2500-3000 calories - she's on the go from dawn to midnite and I mean on the go - I would be exhausted just my your morning routine :0)..

I wish I could be like that - I can every now and then but then I get pooped out - I need veg time..

Cheri - you sure do have a juggling act with the family issues

Meredith - Enjoy NYC what a wonderful time of year to go...

Well back to my t.v. - cbl in a bit...

Arlene...I don't line the pan for these. Just spray. I use the mini muffin pan. It's a 24 holer. Pampered Chef.

Janet....I slowed down once....didn't like it

Indio, just a tip about making steel cut oats: Bring the Water to a boil right before you go to bed, stir in the oats, and turn them off after they boil for about a few minutes. Keep a tight fitting lid on the pan and they'll be ready in the morning after heating up for just about 5 minutes. They will be thick, so I put in some milk when I heat them up. We cook them this way almost every night.

Goodness you gals are busy this afternoon! I've just been vegging, am going to watch Christmas Vacation here shortly, I DVR'd it the other night. I'm home alone, with my pjs on, fire going and it's only 515pm. LOL

Julie, are you sure you should quit the anit depressents already? maybe they are what's helping you feel so good lately? Just concerns me when folks stop medications on their own. If the doc told you then never mind me.

Apples, I can understand the not wanting to share the recipes. I don't have many that anyone ever asks for but I have a few. I am honored you share with us. I'm not creative enough to come up with my own. And, even when following another recipe am never brave enough to try variations. I follow a recipe to the T. LOL

Think I will wait on that dress.

Laura, I remember my kids going through spurts where they just weren't hungry. Of course, being the overweight mom I was, I just never could understand that, but didn't force them to eat because I did get that I didn't want them to grow up with my unhealthy relationship with food.

Janet, whatcha watching tonight?

Christmas Vacation!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favs! The weather was in the 50's today so I had a pain free day. Yea! Well, gotta get ready to embroider again tonight. My daughter has nine beach towels to monogram for Christmas and we have six more to go. Sewing keeps me from snacking at night .........so this is a good thing.

Indio, just a tip about making steel cut oats: Bring the Water to a boil right before you go to bed, stir in the oats, and turn them off after they boil for about a few minutes. Keep a tight fitting lid on the pan and they'll be ready in the morning after heating up for just about 5 minutes. They will be thick, so I put in some milk when I heat them up. We cook them this way almost every night.

Ok Deb - Thanks I will try that.. I went to bbq my pork tenderloin - and the stupid bbq is out of gas - we haven't bbq that much - I really need to get a new bbq to hook up to my gas line..

Goodness you gals are busy this afternoon! I've just been vegging, am going to watch Christmas Vacation here shortly, I DVR'd it the other night. I'm home alone, with my pjs on, fire going and it's only 515pm. LOL

Julie, are you sure you should quit the anit depressents already? maybe they are what's helping you feel so good lately? Just concerns me when folks stop medications on their own. If the doc told you then never mind me.

Apples, I can understand the not wanting to share the recipes. I don't have many that anyone ever asks for but I have a few. I am honored you share with us. I'm not creative enough to come up with my own. And, even when following another recipe am never brave enough to try variations. I follow a recipe to the T. LOL

Think I will wait on that dress.

Laura, I remember my kids going through spurts where they just weren't hungry. Of course, being the overweight mom I was, I just never could understand that, but didn't force them to eat because I did get that I didn't want them to grow up with my unhealthy relationship with food.

Janet, whatcha watching tonight?

Ok I found out who is in the ORIGINAL Christmas Carol

Reginald Owens - made in 1938 - it's on my pay per view $1.99 for 24 hours - I may be watching that - I just watched last weeks Brothers & Sisters - Oh it had my crying - Love...

Christmas Vacation!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favs! The weather was in the 50's today so I had a pain free day. Yea! Well, gotta get ready to embroider again tonight. My daughter has nine beach towels to monogram for Christmas and we have six more to go. Sewing keeps me from snacking at night .........so this is a good thing.

I guess I am a funny person - I don't like comdies that much - Chevy Chase can get on my nerves sometimes - I am more a drama person - but I do like a good comdey at times but not stupid humor - can't stand Jim Carey :0)

I'm with you, Janet... Can't do "stupid" movies... DH loves them, but if he's watching I'm doing something else... I like dramas mostly and good-hearted comedy is fine... It's the stupid stuff I hate...

What the heck is steel cut oats???? I've been going to ask for months.. Never heard of it..... I like oatmeal, maybe I should be trying this...

Yup, Apples, DH is now warm... Made him some supper.... Now he's curled up in his chair with a blanket watching reruns for Criminal Minds...

I'm just going to veg a bit... Tomorrow is a busy day..

Lori, I will ask the doc about the anti-depressants... I keep forgetting to take them, so really think it's the lack of pain that has me feeling better... I'll see what she says...

Apples, you must use a lot of sweetened condensed milk. It seems I recall hearing you mention it often before.. Those last Cookies, was that ginger snap dough or something different??? Might try those... I love ginger snaps...

I like to try new things but there are some of the oldies that just have to be made, too.... I always do something I call Brown Eyed Susans every year.. little butter cookies with almond flavoring and frosting with an almond sliver on top.... Oh, my, I can taste them already.. Have to wait till close up to make them or they won't last... Like Cheri said about those oreo balls...

I'm not so into Jim Carey but for some reason Chevy Chase has always cracked me up. Ilove the 'Vacation' movies. I've only liked one Jim Carey though and that was the one with Jennifer Aniston, can't remember the name. I just noticed Chrsitmas Vacation is from 1989, wow, hadn't realized it was 20 yrs old, I remember seeing it in the theater and now I feel so old.

Oh my word you all got busy this afternoon

82 cards Julie - I was bushed after 27 cards.... Sorry about DD struggles - I know how it goes - been there done that..

Laura - Love the pic of Nels & GBH - Great Job !!! Keep us posted on your Dad..

And Yes dear Nelson will eat when he's hungry - Pushing him to eat when he's not hungry isn't good - that's how we get fat - yes it's those things we learned in childhood that leads up to our obesity - like cleaning our plates cuz of straving kids in china.. I am glad the light bulb went off :0)..

Apples - ok I am going to try the steel oats - will cook them tonite cuz I don't have 30 min in the morning to do it.. (Phyl - I got them at Winco - QuakerOats - just a normal style box) I have splenda and sf maple syrup..

We all appreciate your sharing :0) - We love your cooking

It's so funny when I sat down on the couch to veg after doing my cards - had a 20 min nap and thought - this is why apples can eat 2500-3000 calories - she's on the go from dawn to midnite and I mean on the go - I would be exhausted just my your morning routine :0)..

I wish I could be like that - I can every now and then but then I get pooped out - I need veg time..

Cheri - you sure do have a juggling act with the family issues

Meredith - Enjoy NYC what a wonderful time of year to go...

Well back to my t.v. - cbl in a bit...

Hi guys~ I know you are all 100% right with the food stuff with kids. What bugs me about myself is when I KNOW something intellectually but emotionally I feel I need him to eat. I am convinced that one of the reasons I became morbidly obese is b/c I never knew if I was hungry or not. We ate on schedules and clean plate club, etc.. I think the thing that worries me is the food choices. He is picky and would never choose a vegetable. Even getting him to eat fruit is a chore. I don't care about quantity of eating- just want him to be healthy and get vit. and minerals. (he does get a kids mult vit) Enough about that.

Ditto Janet regarding Apples and her energy! At 42 I wish I had HALF of the energy she has!

Cards~ You guys are done?! I still need to do mine. I did create them on the walgreens website (with 4 photos), now just have to "order" them and pick them up at store. I will do that tomorrow. Lately I have been waiting to see who sends them to me before I automatically send them out. Not with family and close friends- I send theirs.

Meredith~ Good luck with finals and papers and finishing up the semester! It will all get done. WTG on the 50 to goal!!! You are doing fantastic!!!

Julie B~ I am glad you are finally having some relief. And I hear you with the intentional plateau. Since my Dad's diagnosis I have not felt like "working" on losing weight. I have not gained either and I am thankful for this band for helping me maintain. Without a doubt- I would have overeaten during this stress and gained back everything I had lost. I call it my choke collar- like some dog's wear. When I take off it PULLS me back. It has been a God send during this time. I always try to eat "healthy" foods and I do stay away from sliders. That is what has kept me the same. In the past I was able to gain weight with healthy foods- as I just ate WAY too much.

Great~ Hope you are enjoying your movie. I LOVE and totally get the PJs by 5. : )

Phyl~ Love the chili idea. I've been in the mood for something like that. I might make some tomorrow. I need a crockpot. I want one that the pot part comes out and can go in the dishwasher though. Any brand recommendations to all you one pot queens?!

Eva~ Hi friend. Your message was off my reply page... and I know you said a lot of hellos but my memory is gone and can't remember what you said.

Update on Dad for the day: They made it to Houston. They had to make one landing halfway (not sure what was halfway between Charlotte and Houston). DH said he was BEAT. We had their anniv. basket (fruit and gourmet) in the room and they liked it. (their 50th wedding anniversary is tomorrow). DH had gone to the store and bought some staples (bread, cheese, yogurt, water) since they have a kitchenette in M&D's suite. Their appt is early like 7am. I know he is having labs, CT scan, CXR and a few other things tomorrow. Will tell more as it's available.

Hope everyone is staying warm if it's cold... and cold if it's warm. (I have the AC on)... although it's 76 out now. It might get down to 70 tonight! burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :willy_nilly:

peasout~ Laura

I'm not so into Jim Carey but for some reason Chevy Chase has always cracked me up. Ilove the 'Vacation' movies. I've only liked one Jim Carey though and that was the one with Jennifer Aniston, can't remember the name. I just noticed Chrsitmas Vacation is from 1989, wow, hadn't realized it was 20 yrs old, I remember seeing it in the theater and now I feel so old.

Me too. I don't like Jim Carey movies......and only Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. I can't believe that movie is 20 years old. Okay, back to sewing......check in tomorrow.

Phyll...sorry but I forgot to answer your earlier question on size of steel cut oats. I can usually fine a box in our local market that is not too big. Has about 4 cups of oats in the box. I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name though. They usually have it on the end-caps at the store...not with the other oats.

Julie...I used my regular ginger cookie recipe (the one I make gingerbread Cookies out of.) I think gingersnaps would be too hard. As far as the sw condensed milk...yep, this time of year I use it quite a bit. Other times...not so much.

Movies...I am so picky. Don't want to waste a couple of hours on something I won't enjoy so I really check them out first. I am a movie collector and cannot tell you how many I now own. Right now watching (well not really..listening) to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou...silly, zaney but a good movie. George Clooney...he makes my heart pound out of my chest.

Bruce Almighty.

Hey Laura...thanks for the update on Dad.

We grew up the same way as you, Laura. Three squares a day and always at the same time and the plates were clean at the end of each meal. I remember my dad made us eat the fat on our pork chops and the skin on the chicken. Ish...when I was a little one, I used to hold it in my cheek till the meal was finished and sneak and spit it behind the frig! No wonder I had a weight problem!

Julie,

If you were taking the anti-depressant fairly regularly for the first two weeks and started slacking off, they would still be in your system for a while. I've never been on Cymabalta, but I have to say that the time I was on Prozac and the time I was on Wellbutrin it only took a few days for me to notice the difference. Some of your pain relief may actually be due to the Cymbalta raising your pain threshold. However, if you can remember to take them, large doses of Vitamin D have been shown to also make a huge difference, particularly for women in northern climates who don't get nearly enough natural Vitamin D from the sun. I take 4000 IU/day and I notice myself coping so much better and having so much more energy. I think it actually helped me with my weight loss because I didn't turn to food to medicate my down feelings or my physical pain.

By the way, although I still can hurt, I am in a lot less pain and I can exercise so much more and move so much more freely without the weight. Even my neck is much better. My inversion table has also really helped with my neck and back, hip and shoulder problems. I get decompression without any manipulation, twisting or over stretching of tendons and ligaments, which therapists and chiropracters are wont to do.

I've cut my anti-inflammatory pills in half. I've been on maximum doses for years and years. Could be the vitamin D has helped with that, too.

Glad you're doing better. Keep on getting to the bottom of your pain. You need to learn which movements trigger the nerve compression and what you can do to relieve the compression without making it worse.

You've been sounding so much better and the Cymbalta may be playing a bigger part in that than you know.

Cheri

Hi All,

Sorry for not posting for a bit, you all sure were busy typing away. Read them all but can't remember everything.

Trying to get used to my DS being home again. He will start working tomorrow and hopefully will get into the classes he needs. They are all waitlisted for now.

Been busy doing Christmas stuff, tree is done, most of shopping & started making a few treats to share with fam and friends. Wasn't going to make much but the list keeps growing, my sister requested p butter fudge. Says she looks forward to it every year. So I guess I'll make it for them.

I too love Apples receipes as I like to cook and bake. Those ginger tarts sound wonderful.

Deb what is the Asman thing you mentioned? Don't know what that is. Think that is what you called it.

Linda glad to hear you are doing so good with you hip replacement. Positive attitude helps so much. Kudos

Laura K