Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Indio Girl,

As far as I know my apt. is on the 16th. But you can believe that after the feedback I am getting here, I am going to be having a long talk with the dr.

I want to know something about the band choices that he will have at hand and I want to know about the diet. I want to know if he is going to be reachable within a reasonable time if there is a need post op. If I get the feeling that he is getting resentful I will be changing doctors, I won't go under the knife unless I feel comfortable with him. My phsyc was a couple of weeks ago and tred mill and initial appointments were two months ago.

Your relationship with your doctor sounds ideal. And no, they are not close, they are on the far opposite side of town for me or I would drop in to their office.

Thanks for responding.

Laura

Here are my frustrations... I have completed all of my appointments but I seem to only get a phone call when they are ready to schedule and then no update so that I know what is going on. I worry that we have not discussed the type of band that I will get nor have we discussed the pre-surgery diet that Dr. Burpee may require. I try to make some phone calls to the office and have even emailed twice, called twice, I don't want to be a pest. I want to feel good about this surgery in spite of being afraid. But dang, shouldn't there be better communication? I worry about reaching someone in the office if I have a problem post surgery, phone calls always go to voice mail.

Am I being silly about all this or are my concerns real? Please help?

Laura

My experience with MY doctor's office????

You HAVE to be a pest!!

A lot of these bariatric offices are VERY busy...

you have to be your own advocate!

Yes, there SHOULD be better communication...

but there isn't, so you will have to be more aggressive!

hi. i dont know if im doing this right...is there a way to get to talk one on one with someone in here with some experience...my computer is so slowwww for these thread thingys,and im getting lost...

hi. i dont know if im doing this right...is there a way to get to talk one on one with someone in here with some experience...my computer is so slowwww for these thread thingys,and im getting lost...

Try Chat Rooms in the right hand column

thank you i will try this others suggested more Protein also . I dont know what style band it is , I dont think its too tight but sometimes i can eat and other times something soft gets stuck

Hi girls (or guys) tonight (Sunday). Had a great day today. Did not take a walk but got the pool closed up for the winter and started cleaning out closets to fall clean. Kids all came over for dinner. I made spaghetti, garlic bread, mixed salad. It was soooo good. I had very little Pasta but about 3/4 c meat sauce which I made and a salad (no bread). Janet, do you keep your pool open year round out there or do you have to close it up at some point for the winter? Just curious. My kids usually all come over every Sunday for dinner. Now I got alot of yard work to do since it has cooled down some. I like to do it when it is cool. Hey Long, congratulations on your 60:thumbup:. I can't wait to get there. It seems to be easier for me to loose weight in the winter than in the summer. I am way more active in summer but for some reason I seem to retain fluids all summer long. I went this weekend a bought a new bra and new undies. Tee hee:wink_smile:. Mine were too big. Ain't it great!!!! Well good luck to all newbies and oldies. We are all in this together.

Signing off, Beckyo:smile:

Hi girls (or guys) tonight (Sunday). Had a great day today. Did not take a walk but got the pool closed up for the winter and started cleaning out closets to fall clean. Kids all came over for dinner. I made spaghetti, garlic bread, mixed salad. It was soooo good. I had very little Pasta but about 3/4 c meat sauce which I made and a salad (no bread). Janet, do you keep your pool open year round out there or do you have to close it up at some point for the winter? Just curious. My kids usually all come over every Sunday for dinner. Now I got alot of yard work to do since it has cooled down some. I like to do it when it is cool. Hey Long, congratulations on your 60:thumbup:. I can't wait to get there. It seems to be easier for me to loose weight in the winter than in the summer. I am way more active in summer but for some reason I seem to retain fluids all summer long. I went this weekend a bought a new bra and new undies. Tee hee:wink_smile:. Mine were too big. Ain't it great!!!! Well good luck to all newbies and oldies. We are all in this together.

Speaking of underwear, I had a $15 off a $15 purchase coupon at Lane Bryant, put it to use on underwear and I got their smallest size....AND THEY FIT!!!

Hi

I am Janet and I am a recovering food addict :thumbup:

I was banded 7/17/07 - My starting weight was 250 - I'm 5'4

Today (just over 10 months out) I am 154 - size 8 pants (was 18/20) Medium tops (was 22/24)

I got banded as I wanted to extend the years that I have left on this planet and to do that I knew that I needed to lose weight.

The band has been the tool I needed. For the first time in my life I have been able to achieve this goal (actually getting to my goal weight)

If you want a buddy - support - help - suggestions - Please feel free to call upon me - I will gladly share my journey with you - the journey is still on going and by helping you I will be helping me (staying motivated and accountable) and then one day you can pay it forward and help someone else.

I would love for you to be my buddy. I have not done it yet and am very interested. I know my HMO will not pay for it but I am going to ask the MD anyway. One big disappointing thing I saw was on Dr. Spivak's site where it said expect 50% of your goal to be achieved in the first 18 months and I think OMG that is way too slow! I have 100 lbs to lose. That means only 50 lbs in 77 weeeks which is less that 1 lb per week. That does not seem right!

Lexi yes you are doing this right - all you have to do is post your questions here and we will answer - when you come back go to user cp and this thread should pop up or go to subscriped threads too..

Here for you.

thank you i will try this others suggested more Protein also . I dont know what style band it is , I dont think its too tight but sometimes i can eat and other times something soft gets stuck

Deb - It really doesn't matter what band you have - and our bands are fickled some days we can eat others we cant - and we can get stuck on soft foods if we are eating too fast or taking too big of bites..

Becky - I have an in ground pools and I don't heat it in the winter but it still has Water - 110 yesterday- the pool will still be usable for another month till the weather starts cooling off - which usually isn't til Oct. Then it just sits there full of Water and not used (cost too much to heat) until next April/May - but still have to pay the pool man.. Love the look of the pool but not the expense.

Congrats on your new undies - & good food choices :confused:

Speaking of underwear, I had a $15 off a $15 purchase coupon at Lane Bryant, put it to use on underwear and I got their smallest size....AND THEY FIT!!!

Lori - Next is no more lane bryant - it will be difficult at first - but it is great - I still don't shop at victoria secrets - those bras & panties in their stores seem like they are for the younger girls who don't need as much support :thumbup:

I would love for you to be my buddy. I have not done it yet and am very interested. I know my HMO will not pay for it but I am going to ask the MD anyway. One big disappointing thing I saw was on Dr. Spivak's site where it said expect 50% of your goal to be achieved in the first 18 months and I think OMG that is way too slow! I have 100 lbs to lose. That means only 50 lbs in 77 weeeks which is less that 1 lb per week. That does not seem right!

Antique - The #'s you quoted are average (I don't think they give us enough credit and that was a motivation for me) - I lost 100 lbs in 11 months and 1 week (banded 7/17 250 - 6/24 150 - today 145) - there are alot of pple who lose 100 lbs in less than a year - it's up to you and the work you do to get it off.

I changed the way I ate - I added exercise in my life and I lost the weight - The band makes a hard job a little easier...

Glad to have you..

Well, I just got back from my second fill. I found out I only had 1.5cc the first fill......no wonder I was so hungry. He put 2cc in and wants to see me in 10 days for another fill. Now, maybe I can see some REAL loss and not be so hungry. He wants me to only eat a half cup per meal or snack. Janet, I am going to make some more of that bean Soup tomorrow. I am hooked on that stuff.

Well, I just got back from my second fill. I found out I only had 1.5cc the first fill......no wonder I was so hungry. He put 2cc in and wants to see me in 10 days for another fill. Now, maybe I can see some REAL loss and not be so hungry. He wants me to only eat a half cup per meal or snack. Janet, I am going to make some more of that bean Soup tomorrow. I am hooked on that stuff.

Yeah!! You'll be smokin' now!! you should notice some improvement in this fill and definitely by the next one. My dr. says 1/2 cup servings too. I'm good with that usually.

Ellen, you have a fill this week too? was it WEd??? Thinking of you!! Good luck!!

Well I am off to a bariatric exercise class my surgeon/hospital sponsers. Not sure what to expect, other than it will be only bariatric patients there so not so intimidating. We will be using the balls and bands (so I got new ones yesterday) and he will be giving us moves to do and then homework for the week til we meet again next Monday night. I'm actually looking forward to this class, now that's a first!! But I feel so uncomfortable and self concious going into gyms and this should be very non threatening. The biggest drawback of it is the drive to get there. Not so bad now but come winter when it's dark at 5 and cold I hate to go out at night. But maybe by then I'll have some good routines and can go from there.

Charlene - I still make a pot of Beans every now and then - the 2nd fill should help. I am trying to do a poll of pple at goal about the band and their hunger - I can't get anyone to respond - I think I have 2 long term banders - Jachut & Snowbird - they both vote along with me that the band didn't take away their hunger - just made them full longer.

You guys go and ck out what they said - I know all you who are getting filled are expecting it to really curb your hunger - It helps a little but I still get hungry and I hate for you all to be dissappointed that your hunger isn't going away like you seem to think it will..

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f109/does-your-band-stop-your-hunger-75036/

I have bumped it but not getting old timers to respond.. :redface:

Yeah!! You'll be smokin' now!! you should notice some improvement in this fill and definitely by the next one. My dr. says 1/2 cup servings too. I'm good with that usually.

Ellen, you have a fill this week too? was it WEd??? Thinking of you!! Good luck!!

Well I am off to a bariatric exercise class my surgeon/hospital sponsers. Not sure what to expect, other than it will be only bariatric patients there so not so intimidating. We will be using the balls and bands (so I got new ones yesterday) and he will be giving us moves to do and then homework for the week til we meet again next Monday night. I'm actually looking forward to this class, now that's a first!! But I feel so uncomfortable and self concious going into gyms and this should be very non threatening. The biggest drawback of it is the drive to get there. Not so bad now but come winter when it's dark at 5 and cold I hate to go out at night. But maybe by then I'll have some good routines and can go from there.

Lori

I may have been today for her (Ellen) fill if I remember correctly..

You group sounds good - let us know how it went..

--------------------------------

Well just cking in gang - they opened a new Winco grocery store aroumd the corner - went after the gym to check it out - guess what 2 hr wait at the ck out line... - Said oh no - I come back another day...

I am having a hamburger patty and I don't kmow what else - gs is having hb w/bun - but that's too much bread - so gotta go find some veggies to cook..

Janet, with me.....the band takes away the physical hunger, but if I am bored or anxious.....that hunger is hard to tame. What helps me the most is to write the time and what I eat or drink. And if I go too long without eating, I eat the wrong foods. I am hoping a couple of more fills will give me a fuller feeling. I will vote . I think it takes care of 50% of my hunger.

I just got back from my exercise class, it was great. He showed us how to use some of the leg machines, and then we all sat on a ball with some cords and they went over a few routines that will be our homework for the week. There were 4 of us lap banders there and 2 bypass patients. I think I will keep going for a few weeks anyway and tonights class was free, then it's going to be $15. I liked the smallness of it as you got a lot of individual attention (there were 2 trainers). Of course, they are hoping you will hire them for personal training and I may down the road as finances go, right now I have a surgery to pay off!! Just wish it was a tad closer!

Hi everyone - I've been away for a few more days. It's so good to see how everyone is doing.

Lori - congrats on 60 lbs! Wow!!!

Ellen - good luck on your fill. It's not that bad, really.

I had my first fill yesterday. The doc put some in, then took some out. I guess I now have about 4 cc's. To be honest, I wasn't paying attention because I was so nervous! I have a follow-up appt next week. I'll ask then. I'm on liquids for the next four days.

I'm so looking forward to see some weight drop again and to feel more restriction when I eat.

I closed up my pool this week too. It's heated, but the cost of heat once the air temp dips below 70 is too high. I'll miss it, since it can't re-open again until next May.

- Kathy