Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Good afternoon. Just got home from another day with Grandma and this one went much better than the last. She must've just not been feeling quite right the other day. We were just going to lunch but then she asked to go to Kohls and Bath & Bodyworks. We came out of the latter real smelly trying on all these scents. LOL We must've had 6 to 8 different scents on various parts of our arms all mingled together in the warm car. :thumbup:

PHyls, so when is your bday?? I know you do the Wii, have you gotten the WiiFit Plus? Was wondering what was different about it.

Sounds like a GREAT day with your GM, Great!! Thatn's nice!

As Janet said, bd is 11/25. I was born on Thanksgiving! And last night I chatted with a man at dinner (I know him from choir, too) who was also born 11/25, on Thanksgiving, in 1929 so he will be 80 on Wed! He says he's rec'd 77 cards in the mail and he's hoping for 3 more to make 80! I will tryto remember to get him a card today! That's the 2nd person this month to tell me they were born that date and on Thanksgiving. The other lady is turning 74 Wed.

Wii Fit Plus is great.. everything that is on the Wii Fit CD and more... so all your same exercises, etc. are still there, but then there are a lot more in addition. And better exercise, better logging all your info, everything has been enhanced. And you don't use the old CD anymore. When you start up the new one, it picks up all your old data, so you don't lose any of your stats, scores, etc. I have to admit, I've only used it for weigh ins since we got here because I'm doing Water aerobics, walking, riding stationary bike. But I LOVE it and keep thinking I need to use it at night when DH goes to the pool/hot tub.

Phyl, since I will be gone on your Birthday with probably no internet access, Happy Birthday in advance!! Thanks for the Wii Fit Plus info. I looked for just the disk w/o the board at costco today but no luck.

Busy day today getting stuff sortta organized to pack the car on Monday for our drive to S Dakota. Going to dinner tonight with DH's sister and husband to a Joes Crab Shack, haven't been to one of those in years but I think I should be able to find something band friendly there. I will have to be careful as I love deep friend seafood especially shrimp. I get stuck sometimes on shrimp.

Quiet around here today, everyone must be busy. have a great weekend!

Hi everyone, I'm still here... I've been reading everyday, but decided not to post as I don't have much of anything to say but my same old complaints.. I'm tired of all of it and I'm sure you are tired of hearing it, too.... Let's just say I've had no positive progress... I did have appointments yesterday... PT guy said he didn't think it was working and we should stop.. He went to get a doctor, who said I need to go see a pain management guy, but the earliest appt they could get me was 1-19-10................ Ahhhhhhhhh, that's 2 months for pete's sake... Then they decided to try someone else, but I had to leave for another appt.. Chiropractor says I have an inflammed nerve in my upper shoulder/neck area causing all the trouble now.. Use ice packs as much as possible.... Then off to the regular Doctor... She is so great... I told her about everything that is going on.... including my worries and such that I wrote here to all of you a few days ago... She had plan... See a pain management person who will do injection therapy right into the spots that are causing the pain.. The got me an appt for 12-7.... that's a lot sooner than 1-19........ Then she put me on an anti-depressant for a couple months and also gave me a sleeping pill to help me get some much needed regular sleep.... It's a plan..........but it sure didn't help anything about last night... I took pain meds and 1 sleeping pill at 9:00..... by 10:00 I was in horrible pain again.... and nothing let up for a couple hours... woke up at 2 ish and took another pain pill and a sleeping pill.... Tonight I will take 2 sleeping pills... It said 1 or 2 at bedtime and I guess I made the wrong choice last night.... So, I gess I have to figure out how to make it until 12-7 when I can get some injection therapy to help me with this mess..... Sorry to be whining all the time, but it comsumes me most of the time.. I was telling the GP how I can't seem to lose anymore weight... She said, "of course not, you're body is so torn up from everything you've been through that it is in protection mode and it is doing what it thinks is best.." I was happy to hear that kind of answer.. Maybe I'm not as much of a failure as I've been feeling... And when I told her that I was just waiting for the next thing to happen.......... she laughed and said there was no way.. I've had my three now.....things always come in 3's and I'm done now... Just a silly superstition, but I liked it anyway... I was glad to have visited with her and I'll hope her plan is a good one... I guess time will tell... Today I'm not doing very much... had a little nap... DH is off doing things for mother and DD....

Hope our "3 musketeers" are off having a great time today... I'd like to be a mouse in the corner to hear everything... Hope they are having fun...

Oops, gotta go, DH is hollering... Hope everyone is doing well and having a good weekend..... TTYL...Julie

Hi everyone, I'm so excited that I finally caught up today and am able to post a little. Have had a busy couple of weeks -- had my DGD until this morning as DSD was back in hospital. The results from her gastraparesis test came back negative so they did some further tests on her gall bladder, everything negative, is looking more and more like she just needs to take better care of her diabetes in order to get well. Just like obesity, there is no "miracle pill" that is going to fix her up. She was in hospital this time for 8 days -- and was only home 2 days last week but to sick to have GD with her. Also had a "surprise" a couple of weeks ago. My step son took a bus and moved back from Oregon. He is 20 and had been a problem and he had gone to Oregon because frankly, we just couldn't trust him in our home any longer (his mother's side of the family all live in Oregon). Well, so far he seems to be doing okay -- he told us he learned a lot while he was gone and asked for our forgiveness. He's been taking care of some business (doctor and dentist appts. and looking hard for a job) so all seems to be okay for now. We were supposed to be going to Branson Missouri for Thanksgiving but decided to cancel since SD has been so sick and he is now home.

Anyway, I have news myself -- I'll be having hip replacement surgery on Dec. 8. I've had trouble for 3 years -- last time I went to orthopedic surgeon two years ago he didn't even x-ray it -- all he said was "lose weight and it'll get better" -- well, as you all know, that didn't help, so I went to my GP for a physical on 11-13 - this is the first doctor's appt. I've had since losing weight. How differently I was treated -- OMW -- unbelievable. It's how we should have all been treated all the time. I noticed a huge difference -- starting with the doctor apologizing for the exam room being "cold" and asking the nurse to turn up the thermostat. LOL. He was very complimentary on my weight loss and said, "you are the first patient I've had who's had this surgery, do you recommend it?" I told him it was the smartest decision I ever made (he even tried to talk me out of it in January when he did my pre-surgical visit). Anyway, he decided to x-ray my hip and said it was very bad and made me an appt. for the ortho surgeon here in our little town. The appt. wasn't until 12-9. That surgeon also wasn't board certified and with ortho surgeons, I insist on having a board certied one. A girl at work recommended one in a town about 30 miles away and wow, he had a cancellation and got me in on Tuesday (11-17) and had a surgical opening on 12-8 so I am thrilled. I am of course, nervous about it, but know I will be much better off afterward, so am trying to be positive.

Someone posted here about positive thinking. About 30 years ago I took a class on positive thinking (the Air Force paid for both DH and me to take it). It was a wonderful class -- it was 40 hours -- we did it everyday for one week. I have used the information and knowledge from that class throughout my entire life and I can attest to the fact that there is nothing more powerful than positive thinking. The trick is to really use it and like everyone else, you stop or forget for awhile and then get back to it.

Julie, so happy you went to your GP and she is taking control and making affirmative action for you. There is no need in this day and age to live with pain and sleepless nights -- anyone would be depressed -- just glad you have such an understanding GP. You deserve so much - you are such a "doer" for your family -- and you've worked hard at your weight loss -- you deserve to enjoy your life.

Laura, hugs, thinking of you - hope all went well with your drive and chemo goes well Monday. Loved all the pics of Nelson.

Meredith -- hope the house goes through quickly -- woudl be a nice early Christmas present for you.

Janet -- you know how they say everyone has a twin? Well, girlfriend, you and I truly are twins -- even our closets are very similar -- I too am a clothes horse -- and shoes everywhere. I quit smoking about 6 years ago (when my DM was diagnosed and died of lung cancer). However, I was working in downtown LA and it was such a "taboo" thing to do that I would smoke my last cig at home, then brush my teeth and put on my clothes and go to work. I would chew Nicorette gum all day (and they were 10 hour days) until I got home and would smoke all night out on the patio. Then I finally quit altogether, but was addicted to the Nicorette gum (which is even more expensive than cigs cause I chewed a lot of that gum -- much more than they say you should), and I didn't stop chewing that until last summer when I was so ill it made me sick to chew it. LOL. But, I am truly happy and thankful that I no longer smoke - I had lung problems -- had brochitis all the time and was wheezing all the time -- my DM had emphazema and I'm sure I would have ended up with it had I not stopped when I did). It is great to breathe and not wheeze -- however, DH stil smokes in the garage -- and in the car, but it doesn't bother me or make me wheeze or anything.

I am very excited about making Thanksgiving dinner -- we usually go away for Thanksgiving and I love stuffing -- can't wait -- hope I can eat it - I am determined -- I also love mine with gravy. Also looking forward to pumpkin pie.

Attaching a pic of me and Aylah (DGD) doing my walking tape this a.m. She loves to get up and do it with me. So cute -- now that top I'm wearing used to be too tight for me to wear -- and now of course it's falling off of me, but I like to exercise in it cause I get so hot when I exercise.

Still not losing -- I think part of it is cause I am so cold all the time I think my body knows winter is coming and is trying to keep the fat on me to protect me from the cold. Seriously. I have 4 pounds to get to 100 and it's taking forever, but I'm not gaining, just stuck, and it's okay, I'm still following the program and exercising. Someone told me I should increase my calories, but I'm really afraid to do that. I'll see what eating over Thanksgiving does -- if I lose weight at my weekly weigh in after, I might then think about increasing my calories.

Eva I am so jealous -- hope the shopping and visit was fun -- I'm sure it was.

Great and Apples, I even looked at how far of a drive it was for me to meet you two - over 445 -- so no go . I do hope we can all get together in Feb. in Florida. Apples, sorry you had a bad day the other day. But if you're like me, some times I just need a day like that to cry and get over it and then I'm fine for a long time again -- it sounds like you do the same. Your isolation is very tough -- I don't think I could do what you do -- I know your DH appreciates you and what you do, but I know how tough that is. I have a GF who's DH is a work alholic farmer and she travels ALL the TIME - with friends, other family members, etc. She just can't stand to stay home any longer now that her kids are raised. Her DH refuses to travel, but is glad to let her go do her thing - she is always going -- cruises, Europe, Hawaii, Austrailia, constantly on the go.

Great, glad you are getting your other knee done before the end of the year. I also wanted my hip done quick cause of the deductible but also cause this is the slowest time of year at work, so I don't feel so guilty about missing. My surgeon said I'll only be out 4 weeks (we'll see). I can't imagine I'll be ready in 4 weeks, but we'll see.

I know I'm missing people, but please forgive me. Cheri, love all your stories about your kids -- hope you have a great time when you visit your sister for Thanksgiving.

I hope to be back here everyday or a little more regular. Ive been lurking trying to read, but could never get close to catching up. Arlene, hope you're doing better since your unfill.

Oh, all the talk about chocolate, sweets, etc. I have a very small amount (1/2 cup -- and yes, I measure it) of fat free vanilla yogurt with 1 T. sugar free hot fudge and a sprinkling of low fat granola with a few extra raisins EVERY night and have throughout my journey. I don't drink milk so I eat non fat yogurt every morning and have my frozen yogurt every night for my Calcium. Of course, I do track all my calories and these are all within my calorie budget. I truly think it keeps me from craving any other sweets as I have no problem turning down candy, Cookies, cake, pie throughout every day as I know I'll be having my "treat" every night before bed. And my DH has candy bars, cookies, cake here all the time and I never touch any of it. Just throwing that out there -- we are all different.

For you newer bandsters -- I never had much restriction until my last fill (which took me to 6.0) -- like Cheri I lost weight between fills and was losing that fat pad so I would have restriction at first but within a week or two it would disappear. I found my sweet spot at this last fill, but it was 8 months after being banded. Like Janet said, this is a life style change and not a temporary way to eat. I truly like the way I eat now and enjoy my food - I love my band - -I only wish I had done it many years sooner!

Well, I've probably filled up an entire page by this post, so will close -- hope to be back more often -- missed you all. Linda:smile2:

Well, got home from apt and saw a combine in the yard with a corn head on it. Maybe corn harvest will happen after all.

Spent the day shrink wrapping furniture. Tomorrow and Monday furniture is being moved and all the boxes. Tuesday or Wed is cleaning day and then we are done. It's been a huge project and I can finally say that tonight I am SHOT. Been very careful to get extra calories in as to not lose any more than I have during these physically stressful weeks.

Lori and I are pretty much set for our meeting next Saturday. You all say a special prayer that our roads are good so this meeting will take place. (Please).

Julie...did you injure that shoulder at some point? Or did you have a job that you repetitively used it? I am happy to hear that they let up on the PT for now. I feel so bad for you and PLEASE do not stop posting. We can take whatever you have to vent about. Lord knows we ALL do enough of it, and, do you hear anyone complaining? Nope! Hope you get some of that much needed sleep.

Just thought I would check in b/4 my guys get in from tiling in a mud hole. They will be hungry, muddy and tired. My poor entry way. Baked ham, garlic potatoes, sweet corn, pepperoni corn bread and two different kinds of bars for supper. Not at all band friendly food but I am sure they spent some calories today. DH has taken off about 10lbs in the last two weeks without trying.

Gotta get the table set. Hope you girls are having a great time together. How was my foo foo drink?????

Phyl, since I will be gone on your Birthday with probably no internet access, Happy Birthday in advance!! Thanks for the Wii Fit Plus info. I looked for just the disk w/o the board at costco today but no luck.

Busy day today getting stuff sortta organized to pack the car on Monday for our drive to S Dakota. Going to dinner tonight with DH's sister and husband to a Joes Crab Shack, haven't been to one of those in years but I think I should be able to find something band friendly there. I will have to be careful as I love deep friend seafood especially shrimp. I get stuck sometimes on shrimp.

Quiet around here today, everyone must be busy. have a great weekend!

Target.... maybe Walmart

Eva & Janet just got here

Linda...nice to see your post. We were posting about the same time. Oh, would have been nice if you could have met up with Lori and I. I never thought it would be that far for you.

Great photos. Your GD is sooooooooooo cute. Good to get her into the exercise early.

I had a friend that has had both hips done. Each a year apart. She was in her late 30's at the time. (She beat herself up exercising, running, playing racketball). I know she was younger but she says it was a breeze. I also have another friend that is going in a couple of weeks to get his second done. He cannot wait for that pain to be gone. Just do as your doc says and you will have good results.

Did your SD ever have the gallbladder function test done? Not just ultrasound. I suffered for 10 years and kept getting negative results. Doc would not listen to me. (Nothing worse for a doc's ego than a patient that self-diagnoes). I insisted on the test and showed it was only functioning 11%...surgery the next day. Botched surgery and spent 5 weeks in hospital. Just something to check out if it has not already been done.

Gotta go.

Edited by Apples2

Julie, so glad you brought us up to date. Sounds like your regular Dr. has your best interests at heart and a sense of humor. You've hung in there thus far--you can make it to 12/7. Also, you will not be triggering it again with PT and you're usually improving after a few days. But if the pain goes away, don't let that stop you from pursuing the pain management. If gentle manipulation of your shoulder can cause such severe pain, you will be dealing with this again, PT or not.

Spent time with my granddaughter Skylar today. What a precious imp. 3 yrs. Very articulate.

Getting a kick out of my daughter. She's offered to have Thanksgiving in my absence. So now I have to give her all my special instructions so she can do it just like me. One of the things my family does agree on is that I make the best Turkey and stuffing.

I have to deliver my Turkey roaster pan and steam cooker to her after school tomorrow.

I'm leaving Weds for Tennessee and returning on Sunday. Will probably not be posting during those times.

Lost another lb or 2. I may actually reach goal when I want to. By the way, posted a few times on my blog. If you newbies check it out, you can go back to the beginning of the blog to see what it was like for me at the beginning of my journey. I deal with a lot of the food and emotional issues that go with food addiction.

IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

Good visit with Janet and Eva, great fun shopping and having dinner together.

Photos of the three of us, and this week's beading project... pendant and earrings, gifts for Janet & Eva.

Phyl, did you make that necklace? Is is beautiful! Great pics of you girls!

Hi,

Yeah, I started a beading class last week and that was our project this week. Totally different technique this time. All done with needle and heavy cord called "Firewire". Kind of fun to watch it come together.

Hi,

Yeah, I started a beading class last week and that was our project this week. Totally different technique this time. All done with needle and heavy cord called "Firewire". Kind of fun to watch it come together.

Girl, I want to learn that. I took a beading class a few weeks ago and we made a pair of earings and a Bracelet. I will go by there tomorrow and see if they teach a Firewire class. Back in the day(40ys ago in Hawaii) I learned to crochet neclaces with seed pearls. I loved it. I can't find the directions or even the neclaces. Too many moves. Thanks for sharing.

Wow Phyll...those necklaces are really pretty. I've been thinking of getting into beading as a relaxing project when I tire of needle work and reading...just for something different. Will have to check into our community ed classes to see if one if offered this semester. Yours are so different than others I've seen. While cleaning out mom's apt. I found a couple of bracelets that her neighbor lady made her. I was wondering what kind of wire it was made of...maybe the same as yours????

For all that have asked I am doing well still hanging on with the eating . I have been volunteered to make Thanksgiving dinner yeah me. Anyways hope everyone is doing well talk back at you later