Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hello,I´m Melinda, and am looking for some extra support. I used to be Lap Band Talk quite a bit, but then got busy with other things. Here´s what´s going on.

Had a rough LAP-BAND®® morning yesterday. I had a fill last week, and am really tight, well yesterday had a coughing spell from the bronchitis, and vomited 3 times before getting to work. :eek:

Things calmed down in the afternoon and evening. Talked to the Bariatric Nurse, because I´ve had 9.8 cc´s in my 14 cc band. I do fine with 9.8, can eat probably 1.5-2 cups of food. This makes my third time of trying to have a fill, and had trouble. I´ve had 10.2, TOO MUCH, 10.1 TOO MUCH. Now I´m at 10.0, and we´re going to see how I do now that it has calmed. She made an appointment for Thursday at 1:30, so if I´m not better, they will have to do another withdrawl, and I´ll just have to be satisified with 9.8 in my band. My body says NO MORE!

So, have been able to keep down broth, Water and tea fine last night, and today have had 1/2 a Protein shake., so hoping it was just the coughing spell which triggered the problem.

Has anyone been through this? Hoping I can stick with this fill, cause sure want to lose more weight.

Thanks for listening.:)

Hi guys. Typing from the airport. Going to nc. Spoke with my mom after appt with the oncologist and it's bad. Stage 4. Only 2 month survival if no chemo. Only max 2 yrs with aggressive treatment. My mom was crying so hard and said, why aren't u here? We need u, u should have come!why didn't u just come?! I feel like mud. She is so upset u can't say anything. All I said is I love u and am on my way. Tomorrow we fly in dad's plane to baltimore. Then fri a 3rd oncologist in charlotte. Left nels with dh and sil. Felt horrible leaving him with no real prep. Dh was supposed to leave for new orleans fri but cancelled it. Tomorrow sil will watch him while dh works. I hope he will be ok with her. He is sick with fever and cough. Tough stuff. Didn't even drag laptop, I have my crackberry, I mean blackberry! ; ) will try and keep in touch but know I don't that am busy. Hope everyone is ok. Peas

Hi guys. Typing from the airport. Going to nc. Spoke with my mom after appt with the oncologist and it's bad. Stage 4. Only 2 month survival if no chemo. Only max 2 yrs with aggressive treatment. My mom was crying so hard and said, why aren't u here? We need u, u should have come!why didn't u just come?! I feel like mud. She is so upset u can't say anything. All I said is I love u and am on my way. Tomorrow we fly in dad's plane to baltimore. Then fri a 3rd oncologist in charlotte. Left nels with dh and sil. Felt horrible leaving him with no real prep. Dh was supposed to leave for new orleans fri but cancelled it. Tomorrow sil will watch him while dh works. I hope he will be ok with her. He is sick with fever and cough. Tough stuff. Didn't even drag laptop, I have my crackberry, I mean blackberry! ; ) will try and keep in touch but know I don't that am busy. Hope everyone is ok. Peas

Laura...you are such a good mommy and can see why it tears you apart to leave Nelson. Just breathe....be there for your parents and let DH and SIL spoil him for awhile. Kids survive for a bit without their parents. Spent a month away from my boys when they were younger..in hospital...botched surgery. They survived and had fun with dad and others that stepped in to watch them They thought of it as an adventure. You are only a phone call away and, remember, SIL is a mom and bet she will step up the the plate for you.

Damn the cancer. I had held out hope for a different diagnosis. Will be praying for you and your family. Safe travels, Laura. :)

Hello,I´m Melinda, and am looking for some extra support. I used to be Lap Band Talk quite a bit, but then got busy with other things. Here´s what´s going on.

Had a rough LAP-BAND®®® morning yesterday. I had a fill last week, and am really tight, well yesterday had a coughing spell from the bronchitis, and vomited 3 times before getting to work. :eek:

Things calmed down in the afternoon and evening. Talked to the Bariatric Nurse, because I´ve had 9.8 cc´s in my 14 cc band. I do fine with 9.8, can eat probably 1.5-2 cups of food. This makes my third time of trying to have a fill, and had trouble. I´ve had 10.2, TOO MUCH, 10.1 TOO MUCH. Now I´m at 10.0, and we´re going to see how I do now that it has calmed. She made an appointment for Thursday at 1:30, so if I´m not better, they will have to do another withdrawl, and I´ll just have to be satisified with 9.8 in my band. My body says NO MORE!

So, have been able to keep down broth, Water and tea fine last night, and today have had 1/2 a Protein shake., so hoping it was just the coughing spell which triggered the problem.

Has anyone been through this? Hoping I can stick with this fill, cause sure want to lose more weight.

I remember seeing your posts quite a few months back. I cannot help you with what you are going through as I have never been too tight. I do know that the cough could be attributed to tightness. You might want to keep an eye on that. There are a couple of women on this thread that have had issues after a fill and am sure when they have time will respond to your post. Just wanted to jump in and let you know you will get an answer.

Sorry you are having issues.

Laura, I have been praying for your dad and family......I will continue to pray for all of you..........God's Grace and Peace be with you during this time.

HUGS,

Arlene

Melinda, you sound miserable. Yep, you will probably get better as the cold clears up. I went through that last year. My band seemed so tight with all the drainage. I hope you are better soon.

Had a rough LAP-BAND®®® morning yesterday. I had a fill last week, and am really tight, well yesterday had a coughing spell from the bronchitis, and vomited 3 times before getting to work. :eek:

Had a rough LAP-BAND®®® morning yesterday. I had a fill last week, and am really tight, well yesterday had a coughing spell from the bronchitis, and vomited 3 times before getting to work.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome Melinda

I think you need to go back a couple pages on this thread and read what we just posted about fills yesterday or the day before..

The fill isn’t going to make you lose weight – The combination of eating healthy – portion size and exercise is what will contribute to your weight loss.

This is a lifestyle lifetime change in our eating habits and not another diet..

You have to be able to eat hard protein – you can’t drink your meals for the rest of your life or live on mushies/soft foods (heck for the most part these are high calorie foods anyway)

Our Bands don’t make our food choices for us – we do – our bands don’t make us lose weight it’s what we do to lose the weight – our band is just a tool.

IMHO 4 oz of lean meat/fish/chicken – ½ to 1 cup of veggies and ½ cup of starch – is a healthy diet – it’s a normal portion size and you should be able to lose weight on this type of meal plan.

Are you keeping a food diary – logging your calories – cuz losing weight is really all about calories consumed vs calories burned.

I know that my last fill 1/08 was only .1 and that was just enough tweak to get my head in the right place – this is what we were talking about the other day – the physiology of fills

What’s your typical daily menu / calories– what kind of physical activity are you doing and how often.

Look forward to having you join us..

Apples , you are a HOOT! Yep, I feel the same . I have one sister. She doesn't want to help take care of my 86yr old mother, but when she does............I never hear the end of it. I continue to keep my mouth shut about how I feel, but when mama is gone............it ain't gonna be nice. For now, for respect of my mother, I will continue to play nice. I love my sister..............I just don't like her.

Hey, I am feeling better. The stomach relaxer has helped me, but a cold front is moving in tomorrow. That will be the test. Today, it is in the 90's, but tomorrow.........high 50's. Girl, if I lived in the north I would have to move to Hawaii.

Great.........glad you are doing so good. Did you get a card from me? I hope I had the right address.

Janet, many thanks again for this thread. It keeps me accountable.

HUGS to all!

Arlene

Arlene...if you are having these symptoms and living TX, you would never survive a MN winter....for that matter a MN fall or spring. We are now getting an icy rain that I am sure will freeze over night and expecting snow thru the night. I, on the other hand, could not do your hot summers. It's so hard for me to wrap my head around the kind of symptoms you are having due to cold weather. You would think it would manifest itself in your extremities not your midsection. I know it must be a real pain (no pun intended) for you and hoping that your meds will do the trick and that you do not have this for the long run.

OK, girls. Just talking this morning about how my closets are full and I am DONE shopping cuz I am in need of not a thing. Blah, blah, blah....I lied!

Went to see my sick "mom" and took her some Cookies. Stopped to see my friend that has an overstock clothing store and brought him Cookies. He knows my size and lays things in the back for me. Wellllllllllllllllllllll, 2 jackets walked out the door with me. One Liz jacket and one Jone NY navy/white small print check for next spring. Spent $25 for both. Went on my merry way to have lunch with a friend who lives 50 miles from here. Went to a nice lake front restaurant...nice lunch. During lunch she is telling me of a new consignment shop that she has found some great deals on high-end clothes. Wellllllllllllllll, went APE SH_T in that store. I swear they knew I was coming and stocked things in my size. Dropped $128 but wait till you hear all I got! I am tough to fit and I actually found LONG jeans in perfect condition in the low rise. 3 pair of long...brand name is Seven for All Mankind jeans (these are usually 90-200 a pair. I paid not more than $15 and got one pair for $7.50. Got a Harve' Bernard wool olive colored jacket, a wool red zipper sweather with a fur black color, a Jones NY below the knee pea coat (brand new....tags still on) for $15, Woolrich wool black and grey vest $18, Kenneth Cole Black dressy cardigan, 2 pair of Thinsulate leather gloves in plum and orange (yes, I have coats to match) for $6/pr. Original tags are still on and say $65/pr.

When I left I told the lady I felt like I hit the lottery. My kind of shopping. NOW, I am done.....I think:wink2:

Edited by Apples2

just a quickie poorly typed update. Dr visit went well, blood rpressure from all my blood loss if not improved in a day or two will need transfustion but I really do trhink it's getting better. Had to have an u/s as they were concerned also about a blood clot due to some pain in my calve. All is well there, healing is good, no more splint at night either.

just a quickie poorly typed update. Dr visit went well, blood rpressure from all my blood loss if not improved in a day or two will need transfustion but I really do trhink it's getting better. Had to have an u/s as they were concerned also about a blood clot due to some pain in my calve. All is well there, healing is good, no more splint at night either.

Sounds like pretty good results. Hoping you do not have to be treated for the low BP and it will improve.

YAY!!

GOOD REPORT!!

Glad you don't have to do the splint anymore!

Hope you don't have to get the transfusion. Did they check your blood, too. They quit giving me BP med in hosp, so I didn't take it when I first got home. But within a few days, when RN came... it was up quite a bit, so I went back to my usual meds.

I had that pain in my calf, too. I think it's because they have to get kind of rough with your leg when they're "installing" the hardware. It's been 7 weeks and part of my leg is still bruised and sore, and my heel is still "tingly". Feels kind of like there's a piece of crinkly paper between my skin and my sock! No one can tell my why.

I didn't have to do that stomach exercise you talked about. My least favorite... what my home PT guy called the "butt slide"... done in a straight chair. I haven't been too good about my exercises since we've been in the RV, but make sure I do a few each day, and also some walking. Yes... the pain is worth it! Sounds like you're the same as me as far as straightening. They were amazed that I could do that.. I guess it's supposed to take the longest. But I had no problem with that one... it was the bending. It's much better now. You will be amazed at how fast it gets easier and easier to do those exercises.

Laura - Darling I wish I could do more than hugs and prayers - I wish I was there I would come get Nelson - but he would say who's this strange lady - He will be find w/dh - sil & neph -

We love you... We are here for you... Holding hope the the next doc might have a diff prognosis..

Apples - WTG girl on the shopping... But when do you get to where are these clothes - heck - I work so I get to dress when I feel like it - our office is pretty casual and go out a bit - but that's mostly jeans and cute tops for concert stuff..

Great - Can't they give you something to help build up your blood - I had a gf who had her hips replaced - she's a JW so she doesn't do transfusions - they gave her something prior to surgery to build up her blood.

Glad to hear that brace thingie is gone...

Arlene - I guess you will have to keep the house hot this winter - will that help or is it the weather in general like Apples veritgo

Phyl are you parked or did DH hit the road today...

Well waiting for 4;52 to go to the gym..

cbl

Hi,

Moved about 150 miles today. Stopped in Santa Rosa at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. Only 94 miles tomorrow to get to Earl's brother's house south of SF. DS lives 5 miles away but we can't park at his place until the weekend.... military housing.

No way I can keep up with all the posts, but Laura I want to say you're really special and you need to be there for your mom even more than your dad. He's focused on himself right now and what he wants, quite understandably, but your mom is the one who needs the support. I'm glad you dropped everything to go. Your son will be fine and you're setting him a great example on the importance of family.