Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Janet...the pain was definitely in the band area...not the port. I have never had ANY pains in that area or the port area. Took it easy and ate soft food all day yesterday and today was a little better. Was very tender in that area until later today. Ate solid meat for supper and it went OK. I believe it was the corn I ate the night b/4. Truly think it was stoma spasms caused by the corn. I will be taking it off of the menu! Thanks for asking. If it would have continued, I would have made an appt. with doc. Will just keep an eye on things. No reflux or any other symptoms.

My post to Sharons is still bugging me. Don't think my post came across the way I wanted it to. Didn't mean that she shouldn't rely on people for support and certainly did not mean that she should not admire Janet and want her approval. I just wanted to make Sharons see that SHE should also be proud of her accomplishments...just as we are all proud of her. Hope this clears it all up.

DH went into local hospital tonight for a sleep study. Have been trying to get him to do it for years. He is of normal weight. 5'10" and weighs 184lbs. He had his physical about six weeks ago. Showed high number with BP and cholesterol. Also, showed enlarged heart. This can be caused by intermittent high BP but also from sleep disorder. 27 yr old DS was diagnosed with rare sleep disorder in 2008 and already showed signs of enlarged heart and uses CPAP. He is also a normal weight. He was warned that this type of rare sleep disorder can kill. He lives alone and would wake up just barely able to get his breath. Anyway, hoping that there will be some answers with this test. DH has always watched his weight but not what he eats. Does that make sense to you all? He would push himself back from the table after one serving but would drink 1/2 gallon of milk and a dozen Cookies b/4 bed. Wrong choices and cannot have his favs in the house. He has no willpower when it comes to sweets. fruit is always available around here.

It's just me and the dog tonight out on this lonely farm. All the doors are locked and rechecked and relocked. Do I sound a little paranoid??????? Do not sleep good alone in this big farm house with no DH. Anything ever happened to him I would have an apt. in town the next day. Get way to scared by myself. Never used to be but had a scary incident 5 yrs ago when someone tried to rob the place when DH was gone and I was here alone. OK...going to stop thinking and grab my book and head for bed (with the bedroom door locked also). Good night, girls.

Apple -Just cuz you have a normal weight doesn't make you healthy - so I am glad you DH is going for the sleep study - let us know how it went - A couple weeks ago I had some interior pain where I imagine my band is - but nothing bad just some soreness - but its gone...

I live in town - with half my neighbors being cops - so I feel pretty safe - I use to babysit for my bro who lived in the middle of a date orchards (family business) and I use to be a little scared to... I like having neighbors who might hear you scream :tt2: - hope you got some sleep last night - I would assume you have a gun living out in the country - if you don't might be a good investment..

Yep I noticed your new pic last night - I could see those eye lash extensions :lol::lol::lol:

Apples - I commented on that picture on the other thread and asked if that was really YOU!!! Then I come here and find out it is!!! You are gorgeous, girlfriend!

I don't like to stay alone either. It never used to bother me - raised the 3 kids with DH traveling quite a bit for his job(s). Now I just don't like it at all. The dog is no help. Jack is the typical sheltie - bark like crazy at a stranger, but as soon as they would be in the house, he would be taking them on the tour, showing them where the silver is kept, etc. Right now he is afraid of the large orange exercise ball that resides on the sunporch. It moves around the room when the furnace is running and he can't figure out how it moves with no legs... He has many wonderful qualities, but courage in the face of dangerous orange exercise balls is not his true strength. He is a lover, not a fighter.

Joann - My dogs to bark bark bark - then kiss kiss kiss...

Hey Indigo Girl..I have read several of your posts and have come asking for some tough band sister love.

I was banded almost 11months ago and have had one problem after another..very long story, but bottom line is I have already had 2 surgeries (initial Lapband and then rehooking the tubing to the port) and this dang thing still doesn't work..I went to my Dr a couple of weeks ago because I still have NO restriction and found out I have a leak...

SO..I am getting a new band in 2wks..I am struggling SO much with being cynical..I know I have done nothing wrong..but I still feel like a huge failure and am seriously doubting myself..I have had so many fills and two surgeries and am down 10lbs (I had lost up to 35 but didn't maintain it)...

I need to find a way to believe that I CAN DO THIS...

I would love any "tough love" that anyone has...I know for starters I need to quit feeling sorry for myself...

Thanks..Erika

Erika - Welcome !!!

Ok #1 hugs for the complications you have had - they aren't your fault - so quit feeling guilty - Your band hasn't worked very much in the last 11 months.

I got to where I am with the help of my band, I had good restriction on my 2nd fill - Yep I have changed my eating and I exercise - but I wouldn't be where I am today with out the help of my little tool..

Once you get your new band (omg I hope your doc is doing all this for free) and you get it working then you will have the tool that is needed to help you get the weight off.

But GF right now you don't have it - so don't beat yourself up ok...

What's your surgery date??? We will say some prayers for a safe surgery & speedy recovery and that this time you will get a band that works..

Morning everyone... My scale finally dropped a pound this morning.. Yeah!!! I'm supposed to get a fill at 10:45 AM CST, but it is also supposed to be freezing rain and I have to drive 40 miles.. Don't know what to do for sure yet. Waiting for DH to help me decide if I should go or not...

Erika, you hang in there.... I've been plagued with complications this time and in weight loss attempts in the past.. Came close to dead back a number of years when I had my stomach stapled.. It will get better and you will find your way.. Janet is just the person to help you figure it out. Good choice.

Apples2, I'm a farm girl at heart.. Born and raised. My family still has it but I don't live there.. But it's a great life. I do understand the fear of being by yourself.. My husband worked shift work most of our marraige and I never liked being home alone at night... Do you have animals other than the dog... like cows and horses? I love horses but have never wanted to put one through having me ride it.. It used to be a goal of mine, but I think I'm getting too old even if I make it to my goal.....

Have a good day all..... Hopefully I'll be getting back to you later after my fill!!!!!! Keep you fingers crossed for me, please... Julie

Julie - Drive careful and get that fill - and Congrats on the scale moving - How fantastic !!!

Morning All ~ First, Apple's please forget about what your feeling about your post. I did not take any of the things you said as something bad or negative. In fact, what you said made me check in this morning - and I'll do so this evening as Janet suggested. So really let it go - we are fine.:thumbup: Janet, I recently separated in August. I have one son (27), a daughter-in-law and two wonderful grandchildren (5 yr twins - boy and girl). They live in Florida, son is stationed in the Navy there. As a matter of fact, he just left Saturday on a 6 month deployment - to places unknown and my only concern is that he will be safe. My Dad also lives in FL and Mom lives in NC - so for the most part I live in MD without any family around.:) Although I know my family loves me, I have always been a loner and probably way to independent, because family and friends have always viewed me as this woman who has her stuff together - little do they know that sometimes I'm on the verge of mental collapse. I try to talk with them about it, but they've always been like - "oh you can handle it, you'll be fine." For the most part I am. I do work for a major University and I also attend school there (It's free!:w00t:) I do have friends, but like I said - I'm more of a loner so I don't really talk to anyone on a daily basis except colleagues at work and, my friend who bought me the Soup. He is like my best friend. Not many people even know I've had surgery - but I guess you can say that of those who do know, my friend is probably the one person who gives me the most encouragement.

Hobbies - I enjoy crotcheting, when I'm not studying and generally around the end of May through October, I enjoy motorcyling - Yes I ride a motorcycle and love it.:frown: But this time of year I'm generally indoors - hate the cold weather.

Well I will continue this a little later on...off to a meeting, then another, and another and another...and this is what my day looks like today. For Breakfast, SB Cafe Mocha and lite & fit yogurt. lunch - chicken noodle Soup and mandarin oranges. dinner - plan to eat flounder filet and some fresh greens I cooked over the weekend. Figured that would help with the Constipation etc. Oh yea I purchased some benefiber packets to.

Sharon

OMW you sound a lot like me - everyone thinks I am the strongest person and can handle everything that is tossed my way - so no one is really there for me to talk to - they never think I need help... And I too am pretty much a loner - before you joined our group - we had a discussion on extrovert - Introverts and you are like me - introvert - around pple all day - so at night you like your quieness...

What are you studying?? I have initials after my name for work - did all that back in my 30's (schooling)- I would love to go to school again study theory - physiology, painting - that's what I will do if I every get to retire - but at this present time - I don't want the added pressure of working and studying - I hate pressure - I have enough of it at work (dead lines galore)

Doing great on your food - how about that treadmill??? Is it collecting clothes :lol:

Hi all:

Welcome, Erika you are in the right place. I am new at this too Sharon, yes a January Hottie. I do see us all in this together. Julie good luck with your fill. I live on a tree farm but the tree work is hard so we stopped planting trees but not the garden and green house work. My DH has a full time job other than the farm. So my job is the farm. I love spring with the flowers blooming in the greenhouse but am worried as flowers and landscaping is discretionary spending, with the economy and all. I am doing what I love. Being a 51 model it is good to do what you love. Julie keep with your dream to go riding some day. You are not to old. Just make sure it is a gentle horse. I used to be in a riding club and I have been thrown a time or two.

Apple you have convinced me your avatar is now you. I’ll watch for you in my travels.

Janet, I had 4 oz. chicken (well chewed) last night with winter squash and I didn’t drink anything for two hours after. I am still so full this morning I can’t even think about having to eat. Is this wonderful or what. It isn’t always like this though. I had more salt yesterday. Maybe, Water retention in the band? Never have had a fill. Holly

Banded 1/29/09

weight.png[/img]

Holly

Yep restriction is wonder - but so fickle.. Like right now I just took a sip (well a small gulp) and am stuck... At other times it's no problem - some days I seem loose as a goose and others I can get stuck often... But even with those inconsitancies I still love my band - and yes - some pple don't need fills - it's not always all about the fills for everyone - and due to the fact that's all we read about are fills we think we need them every month for 6 months - but it's not like that for everyone...

Goodness, I don't get to check in for a day and I have 3 pages of new posts to read! Welcome to the new folks!!

Just got off the phone and making final payment on my cruise in May. We got our cabin assignments too, a little bit of an upgrade so not bad.

Yesterday we moved up to phases 3 & 4 on our Power 90 workout. OMG! The speed and intensity sure got ratcheted up. But the best part is, my 27 yr old daughter went with me. The old lady out worked her!! HA HA!! I loved it. She's very thin and young and thought the workout was hard. Also the 'ab ripper' part went from 100 crunches to 200 crunches and yes I did them all!! That's where I lost her. Actually I did 198, didn't get the last 2 in. I was very impressed with myself so please excuse my bragging, but I know this was the place other's would understand! After all that though, we went to the movies and I got my #1 dangerous redlight food, popcorn, my duaghter put way too much salt on it. But anyhow I am up 2 lbs this morning. GRRR hoping it is partly Fluid retention.

Hey, good afternoon!!! I made it to my fill.. The roads were still okay down and back; the freezing rain may still come yet later today, so I lucked out.. AND the fill went fine. My PA listened to me describe how things have been going and thought we would try one cc today bringing me to 8 in a 14 cc band.. She said she could feel something that made her quite sure this one will do the trick for me and doesn't expect to hear from me for at least 2 months.. This is great news to hear.. I'm sure hoping she is right. Although I had lost 8 pounds since my last fill a month ago, I really had not lost anything for 2 weeks. So, I'm on liquids today and maybe tomorrow, too. We'll see how I feel.. She hit the mark right away this time so I'm not worried about after effects.. I'm way happy about that!!

I've only been on this site a short time, but really enjoy the atmosphere. I started keeping a little log with information about you all so I can better remember things about you... Thought I would tell you a bit about my life and I encourage any other new ones to do the same. It sure helps me understand feelings and things better when I read the posts........ Here goes:

I'm from central North Dakota, born and raised. I live in a small rural town of 1500 people with my husband and 2 cats. We have three grown children and 3 grandchildren. Two daughters live right here by us and I do daycare for our 22 month old granddaughter. Our son lives in Ohio with his wife and 2 sons... I am a retired accountant and restaurant owner and my husband is a retired power plant operator and soldier. We have rental property so we do still manage all of that, but it doesn't take a lot of time. (Except snow removal this year!!) My husband just accepted a summer job and is looking forward to having something to occupy himself without always costing us money!!! I still do lots of recordkeeping for family members. My extended family mostly lives here, too, so I spend lots of time being a daughter, sister, sister-in-law and aunt, too.. Being a daughter takes up lots of my time as my mother has been ill and even though my brothers are around (1 is in SD) I seem to be the one who deals with all of her issues. I do it willingly most days... I've been very heavy most of my life starting at age 5, with intermitent times of major weight loss.. But it has always come back UNTILL NOW!!!!! I am so looking forward to being of a normal weight and staying there for the rest of my life.. There is still so much to do and I want to do it without pain and disgrace..... I love to cook and bake and entertain my friends and family.. Don't want this to change, but I go at it a bit differently these days..

So, I am eating a yogurt (first food today) and feeling okay.. Hope you are all well. Thanks for listening.. Julie

Hi everyone - I just can't keep up with you all. I had four pages of posts to read through!

Well, Happy Fat Tuesday! Tomorrow starts Lent for those of us who are Catholic. I've decided to give up sugar. I know, should have already done that but for the next 40 days I'm off it!!! I hope it helps with the scale.

Kathy

Long, Apples, Indio,

I could read your postings all day long. I get more information and inspiration from you 3 than you know. Thank you!!

It's almost funny, but every time I think I will post a question - one of you answers it before I ask. My question today was about sparkpeople. I like their tracking systems, but I haven't seen anyone mention WLS and was afraid to come out of the closet with them!!

Keep on keepin' on, Ladies. You have no idea what you do for people who read the postings, but are too shy to post themselves.

So good to get a little of your life story, Mrs. Bubba.

I can relate to ND... husband was stationed at Minot AFB for 2 yrs back in the mid 70's. I didn't like the winters!! And we had some pretty wild summer storms! I worked at th hospital in Minot while we lived there (RN-newborn nursery & IC nursery).

Husband retired AF,so have lived all over the country but native of Buffalo NY. Ended AF career in Seattle area... lived there 12 yrs, then 15 yrs in Oklahoma City with Boeing, now back in WA state, both retired and snowbird in Palm Springs CA area... near IndioGirl!

Weight problems since about age 8 w/many years of yoyo dieting. LapBand surgery 7/07, down a little over 100 lb. Just had my 6th fill last week. Think I have 5.5cc in 11 cc band. P.A. was in a really b____ mood last week and told me my band was near capacity! HUH??? Stll trying to figure that one out. She just wanted to chew me out about every little thing for some reason. Have good restriction and hope to see my weight loss pick up a little now... last few months have been tooooo slow!

Long, Apples, Indio,

I could read your postings all day long. I get more information and inspiration from you 3 than you know. Thank you!!

It's almost funny, but every time I think I will post a question - one of you answers it before I ask. My question today was about sparkpeople. I like their tracking systems, but I haven't seen anyone mention WLS and was afraid to come out of the closet with them!!

Keep on keepin' on, Ladies. You have no idea what you do for people who read the postings, but are too shy to post themselves.

Thank you, Gypsy Girl, for the super kind words. They made my day. Never in a million years ago did I think I would inspire anyone when I went in for surgery 9 mos ago. After all, I was convinced I was the one it wouldn't work for. I've never been to sparkpeople, so sorry can't help you there. When I track my food I use www.dailyplate.com. I'm sure someone will be familar with it though and be able to answer. Keep posting, it helps keep you motivated, focused, and on track!

Well let's see, Mrs bubba, a little about me. I actually have relatives that I've never met in ND. They are in an area called Cooperstown I think. My Grandma who is 99, knows them and they are her cousins so by the time you get to me pretty distant. She lived in ND a brief period of time growing up but soon moved back to Wisconsin which is where I am originally from. But as kids we moved to Minnesota then Denver where I grew up in junior high and highschool. Met and married my HS sweetheart. Celebrating 30 yrs of marriage in April. His family is all from SD and we go back to the farm every Nov. for pheasant hunting. Last year I even convinced hubby to drive up to ND just so I could say I've been there. I am on a Quest to get to all 50 states, have 4 to go. After marriage we moved a lot. I've lived in Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, commuted to Atlanta for a very brief period of time, back to SLC, then to Calif., then Delaware (worked in Pennsylvania though at QVC) then finally 2 yrs ago back to Colorado which is where we hope to stay put. I have two kids, daughter age 27 and son age 25. Both single and no kids, though I am getting antsy for grandkids, but prefer to be a mother in law first if you catch my drift. Next week my 99 yr old Grandma is moving to Denver, and I will be helping in the care for her with my sisters. She's going to an assisted living type place though is living in the independent living part. She's amazing. We will Celebrate her 100th on May 1st. I've thought myself overweight all my life. Got many weight comments from both parents growing up. Looking back I wish I could have all those years back, I was not overweight. I remember going on the liquid Protein diet when I was 18 (aka Valerie Harper - Rhoda from Mary Tyler More show) and got to 125 and my mom said I could still stand to lose 5 lbs. HUH????? I am 5'9 by the way. But in reality I gained with both my kids and never lost and kept gaining more. I just hit Onederland last week and it's the first time being in teh 100's since I was pregnant with my son. There you have it my mini life story. :smile:

Holly

Yep restriction is wonder - but so fickle.. Like right now I just took a sip (well a small gulp) and am stuck... At other times it's no problem - some days I seem loose as a goose and others I can get stuck often... But even with those inconsitancies I still love my band - and yes - some pple don't need fills - it's not always all about the fills for everyone - and due to the fact that's all we read about are fills we think we need them every month for 6 months - but it's not like that for everyone...

I just found out this week how fickle the band could be. I had great restriction all weekend, now yesterday and today I've been so hungry !!! and it's not head hunger either. :smile:

Hey Kathy, I'm not Catholic, but I am Lutheran and we start Lent tomorrow, too.. I can't really think of anything I should give up, so I'm going for a weight loss goal by Easter instead... I'm trying to leave the 300's behind me by then... That's 12 pounds.. Some would say that is a stretch, but we'll see... I guess it's the trying that counts most, even if I only make 8!!!!

Phyllser and Long, thanks for all the great background information. And you have both been to ND... that's great.... I've been to WA and CO, too.. Most recently my husband left for and returned from Iraq to Fort Carson at Colorado Springs, so I was there for his send off.. Used to have relatives there... I do have relatives at Bremerton, WA...... Both lovely states... I'm not a world travelor like my husband, but I have been the states west of here and southeast, but never to OK or TX or the east coast.. We are planning a trip to NH this fall with some friends... I'm hoping to be down enough more that I can enjoy the trip and all the walking I could encounter.. Julie

:smile: to Janet re: the treadmill. You called me out. There aren't any clothes on it, but if I turned it on you could probably see the dust clouds from here to Cali. Ok, I know "exercise is the key." Long you seem to have this exercise thing going real good. What was it like when you first started? I actually was a gym rat about 6 years ago. Wouldn't miss my work out time, went there directly from work. I got into a rut and the longer I stayed away the harder it was for me to get back. In Dec started exercising again, then holidays hit and here I am, can't get started again.

Thanks to the Ladies who shared some personal stuff, it's nice to get a little background - so many interests, so much talent. Oh yea, Janet - I'm studying for a Master's in HR/Labor Relations. That's what I do for a living e.g. Labor Relations; unions, grievances etc. so yes, when I get home all I want is quiet and no problems.

Well today, didn't do so bad on the food. Just finished dinner. Fish fillet (baked) and some refried black Beans. I just (sorry a telemarketer just called - the nerve it's almost 9pm here:cursing:)...anyway hopefully dinner will take me through the evening. Have to have my snack though e.g. sf pudding probably. Oh well, will check in tomorrow.

:smile: Long you seem to have this exercise thing going real good. What was it like when you first started? I actually was a gym rat about 6 years ago. Wouldn't miss my work out time, went there directly from work. I got into a rut and the longer I stayed away the harder it was for me to get back. In Dec started exercising again, then holidays hit and here I am, can't get started again.

Sharon, when I started working out, it wasn't pretty. I could only do about 10 min on a recumbant exercise bike. It was so hard to move my 300 lb body to do much more. I gradually got that up to 20 to 30 min but it was so boring. And then I added some weight machines. Then in Jan. I started doing this Power 90 workout, at the time I thought I was getting in pretty decent shape. This DVD showed me I could get in much better shape. We have been doing it for 6 weeks and was really seeing the improvement. now today we moved up to the next level and it's like I am back at the beginning again as it's much tougher. But I feel stronger and more confident every time I do it and can do more. It helps so much that I have a friend I do it with. It was going to be the 2 of us, then her husband joined us, mine comes when he can come home from work early enough. then a few more weeks into it another gal joined it and now her husband has too. The guys are even liking this workout. Imagine that?? My daughter hadn't seen me ina few weeks when she came over yesterday, she noticed my arms and how toned they were (well minus the wing I have underneath it ha ha) so that felt nice that it was noticeable. I never would've thought it possible that I would work out this much and not hate it. I won't say I enjoy it but I like how I feel and what it's doing for my body.

Hi everyone, Good to read everyone's posts. Phyllser I was an AF wife too -- stationed in Duluth, MN, San Angelo, TX, and Fairbanks, AK, so have seen my share of nasty, cold winters. I'm originally from Ohio, Youngstown area. After Fairbanks, I divorced and moved to Reno, NV where I raised my DS and lived until I met my current DH and moved to Long Beach, CA in 1992. He became disabled and we left So. CA four years ago and moved to Iowa (where my DS lived) and now my DH's daughter and 2 year old GD live here too. I don't miss So. CA much, I worked in downtown LA and don't miss the commute at all. We left at a good time, and are grateful for that. Janet, today was my weigh in day and I lost my two pounds for the week. I also recalculated my BMI which is now at 39 so I am THRILLED with that, which helps keep me motivated. Linda

Hey there all (Wed morning). I got up this morning and feel like crap. Called and got a Dr appt for today. I think I have a sinus infection. Ive had this for two week now and thats long enough for me. Nothing to report here. My life is pretty much boring at this point. Apples, where is your picture? I am anxious to see you:thumbup:. To the new ones, It is hard to get going on this program for some of you but just do a little each day until you build up to it all. Heck, I still feed deprived about food sometimes. I would love to have a big ol hamburger or a blt. Can't eat the bread. My number one trigger food would have to be popcorn also Long. Havent had much of it since being banded but one night I did have some at the movies and man I was sick all day the next day. My sis put a little butter on it and I havent had butter since being banded. Girls, talk to you all tonight. Oh and Phyl, I would love to work with the babies at the hospital.

Beckyo:thumbup: