Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Until Banding and I'm a WRECK!

First off, this site is a Godsend! I was so lucky to find it. Let me tell you, I'm one nervous wreck! I know that's normal but it sure helps knowing others feel or felt the same way before their surgery. I'm on day 4 of my liquid diet and so far, that's the hard part. I've found out why commercials are on TV, they WORK! I may have to hunt down the Burger King and strangle him myself! He keeps trying to get me to eat some big ole hunk of a Breakfast sandwich and if the Kentucky Coronel wasn't already dead, he'd have to watch his back cause every time that family sits down and eats for $4 each, I want to throw a brick through the TV! :devious If anyone has any words of wisdom to pass on to me, I would much appreciate that! I'm going shopping to stock up on things and hoped someone could tell me what I'd be needing when I come home after the surgery. Take care everyone and please send me good thoughts this Friday when I proudly join the ranks of the banded!

There are a lot of folks here that have stopped watching TV just because of the commercials! They don't bother me, but I more listen to tv than watch it. :) Yeah, Some how I don't think I would take food from a giant puppet that was outside my window. Probably just me though :D

Okay, things to stock up on... trashy novels of your favorite style, trashy movies of your favorite style. I really like the watermellong sugar free Jello ... popcicles and fudge bars. Some sort of gas drops...

When I was at your stage, I thought for sure I would wear a hole in the carpet from all the pacing I did. I was super freaked, but the folks here helped me get through it just fine

Immediately after surgery you will want clear juices, broth, popsicles, and possibly Jello. Your doctor should give you clear instructions for what is allowed. I basically had one week of Clear Liquids, 1 week of non-clear thicker liquids, 1 week of light mushies, another week of thicker mushies and then just started gradually adding normal food back in. You will find a lot of information regarding these stages in the "food" thread or do a search of the entire site. When you go into surgery pack as little as possible, take slip on shoes or slippers and loose fitting clothes. I was very nervous too and that is totally normal. Where are you having surgery done at? I had mine in Mexico so that kind of added a bit more anxiety to it even though I had a good experience overall. Best wishes to you, Teresa

Good Luck!! It's going to be fine! The first week of clear liquids includs broth from Soups you like, just strain the veggies and meat. Popcicles are great crunchy treats (sugar free) so have all you want. Day 8 is heavenly. Yogurt ( I like the whipped kind it tastes like mousse). The best Protein I found was Jay Robb whey chocolate, mix with soy milk (you can't tell), and the greatest Soups are low-fat and are creamy, the brand is Imagine, right next to Campbell's in a milk-type carton. They are ready to heat and eat. Cream of Broccoli, Butternut squash, etc. Before you know it you will be back on solids! Just be sure to always eat Protein first.

Susie

Becky, back away from the T.V and nobody gets hurt! I feel for you, even though my Dr. doesn't require a liquid fast before surgery I'm seriously considering doing one. I hope I can do it. You're gonna do just fine with your surgery! I'm right behind you, 5/9. Sending you warm wishes and a speedy recovery.

Patty

Becky,

Your feelings and frustrations are totally normal. I hear ya on that Burger King clown! I swear I would shoot him if he appeared outside my window, he is creepy in that commercial!!

I also agree with Sue's Yoplait Whips Yogurt suggestion. It is very light and fluffy and is easy to swallow. Also, it has no chunks of fruit in it. Go to www.yoplait.com and you can print off coupons for them!

The first week is a little rough because you are sore, but not hungry. Then the second and third weeks are rough because you are more hungry yet can't eat real food. During these stages it feels like foreverrrrrr, but after you are done with it you will look back and say "wow, that went quick" and you won't ever have to go that long in those stages again! Do it once, and its over! You can do this and you will thank yourself for it!

Good luck to you on Friday! Let us know how you are doing when you can!!

FYI

That new sandwich at BK the enormous one is absoulutely HORRIBLE! Seriously I am not banded & threw it out the window for the birds. YUCK! Just hope that helps & so you know I am for real- I know there stupid menus by heart(Shameful-I know)

Becky - Friday will be here before you know it! Just keep eating those popcicles! :) Are you just on any liquid diet or are you on a clear liquid diet? If it doesn't have to be clear, you can blend almost anything and eat it. I found the cream Soups were great, and I also made my own potato Soup and blended that too and it was so good!

Good Luck, and keep us posted. If you get nervous, just keep coming here and posting, we have all been there and know what you are going through. :D

You guys are the best! Thank you all so much for the encouragement! Today is a better day for me. I've been on clear liquids now for nearly a week and honestly I'm not hungry. I get a little weak by the end of the day but nothing I can't handle. I have a question for all you veterans....am I being overly optomistic thinking that if I have my surgery on Friday I should be able to go back to work on Thursday of the next week? My job is all sitting and no lifting so physically it won't be bad but will I be up to it by then? I've heard so many different stories and I hoped one of y'all might be better to answer that for me. I know everyone is different but just generally speaking. Thanks again for all the help....it means so much to me to have the support from y'all like I do! God bless each of you!

Teresa.....I would imagine going to Mexico would certainly add to the stree of the whole ordeal...thank goodness I'm having my surgery right here in Dallas. Hopefully I'll be home by Friday evening. Thanks so much for your wisdom and passing it along to me since you've already walked the road I'm taking. Thanks again!

Becky - I went back to work pretty fast, I too have a sit down job and was fine doing it. But as you stated above, everyone is different. Some people shop the following day and others are down for a couple of weeks.

I can't say this enough but...you guys are the best! I mean it, I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found this site! The encouragement is so fantastic and all the support is so appreciated. You know, it's really cool, to know there are so many good people out there willing to help someone when they so need it and each one of y'all fits that bill! I can't wait until I'm able to help others out just like each one y'all have done for me! Thanks so much and please....stay close I'm still 3 days away and no doubt, I'll be needing all the help I can get!

Becky,

Had my surgeryy on Tuesday Morning, Sent home Wednesday morning and was back at work on Friday. No problems at all.

Friend of mine had her surgery on Friday and her husband picked her up from hospital on Saturday and they went shopping at costco on the way home and then I think it was a movie the next nite.

Hopefully you'r surgery will go as good and you can be back up and runing quickly.

Will keep you in our thoughts during your surgery and recovery.

Once again.....thank you all so much for the encouragement! I'm getting more excited by the minute! I'm must ready for Friday to get here. Also got some great news for my big sister...her insurance approved her and her surgery date is set for May 20! For a change I get to pave the way for her so I have to buck up and be brave! You all are just some of the greatest people! Thanks so much and I know that everything is going to be fine! (Boy I sound a whole lot braver than I actually feel)