Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Easy approval question...

I have read many posts on here to help me decide if this is what I want to do. So I went to my first consultation expecting to go through a lengthly process but was surprised to breeze right through and have my surgery scheduled for June 24th! I am ecstatic but also curious why it was so much easier than it seems to be for a lot of people. I am self pay so I get how that makes it quick (no insurance to deal with) and in perfect health but I did not have to go through any psychological or nutritional stuff like I see others have to. Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks!! :wink2:

:smile2:Self pay is the difference. The restrictions all come from the insurance companies. Good helth is key and if your bmi is high enough that is all that should matter. I don't know what others think about this but I think the pschological stuff is not treated seriously enough. The brochures warn about changes and there are phsycologists who specialize in how to handle post weight loss surgery. We got some highlights from one of the nurses.

Gook lick.

:smile2:Self pay is the difference. The restrictions all come from the insurance companies. Good helth is key and if your bmi is high enough that is all that should matter. I don't know what others think about this but I think the pschological stuff is not treated seriously enough. The brochures warn about changes and there are phsycologists who specialize in how to handle post weight loss surgery. We got some highlights from one of the nurses.

Gook lick.

Wish I had such luck. My insurance requires nothing except bmi over 40, or 35 with comorbids, but my bap band doc requires no matter what, sleep study, psyc eval, PCP approval, and 6 months supervised diet. I had done everything, then I got denied from my GP, so right now I'm stuck. I first started my lapband process in Feb, and I don't know when I'll ever get to have this done. It's very frustrating.

Can you go to a different GP? <Insert rant about doctors with God complexes here.>

Orea

Even if I wasn't going through insurance, my lapband surgeon requires a psych eval, at least 1 1/2 months of nutritional classes, and all the lab work etc. The only thing different with my insurance is it's 6 months nutritional classes/supervised weightloss diet.

I am so glad to hear you were approved quickly! I just found out that my ins pays for it because of my co-morbidities and I can't wait! I'm in Pueblo and I'm having my surg in Canon City or Colo springs. Keep in touch!