Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dallas-White Rock Lake Marathon, 12/14/08

Hello all you DFW'ers! I know there's lot's of us out there, and I hope you'll read this thread.

I've just started training for the White Rock Lake marathon taking place this December. We've got a little over 6 months to train, and that should be plenty of time (well, I think at least!).

I've lost about 50lbs with my band (so far), and to be honest, the first 50 was pretty easy. I didn't exercise much at all, and the weight just sorta "fell off". Well, those days are O-V-E-R! I'm finding exercise is the only way I will get the rest of this weight off (about 40-50 more to go), and what better way to do it than train for a marathon? From what I've read, you will lose 40 lbs just by training alone! SIGN ME UP!

Anybody else struggling with the last chunk of weight? Looking for something to motivate you? Let me know - we could help each other out.

I'm running with some friends, 4x per week, but, they don't know the 'real' story. They have no idea I've had surgery, and will NEVER know. I'm doing this marathon to lose weight - but, completing 26 miles is a nice little bonus :lol:

Let me know if anyone is interested. We can help motivate each other, and track our progress.

Wish me luck!

no, you are definitely not the only one struggling getting and keeping the weight off.

wish i could do white rock, but i'm doing chicago in October then Disney in January...

what training program are you following?

Hi Losing..

Congrats on your 15K! Looks like you did GREAT time! Have you done a marathon before? The most I've ever run is a 5k (about 34 minutes) - that was when I was pretty fit and thin. I'm really struggling right now, but, I've only been training about a week, or so. A friend of mine bought a "how to run a marathon" book. We're following that pretty religiously. We run 3 miles one day, then, 4 miles, then back to 3, so on and so on. Eventually we make it up to 18 miles - then we run the marathon. We've got 6 months to get to that point. I'm still struggling in the 2 mile zone. How long did it take you to get confident enough to run a 15k? Im running with about 45 extra pounds, so, I'm finding it a bit harder than I thought!

Hey guys! I'm in FTW. I'm not sure I would be ready to run a marathon in December, but I would like to train like I am. I used to run all the time and I miss it. I've been doing my treadmill a few times a week, but I really enjoy being outside and besides I have to work harder because I can't just stop, I have to come home. :lol:

I'd like to get the book as a training guide. Can you give me the particulars? Thanks and good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

hey Yankee ... i just noticed you're a Marsden babe as well ... :lol:

love that guy!!!

to be honest, the 15K wasnt horrible. it was a challenge, but i walked away saying "i can so do this again"... my legs were a tad sore Monday, but i was fine (other than the toenail finally falling off)...

i am using Marathoning for Mortals and i plan on WALKING chicago... it gives me several options for both half and full marathons:

walk

run

run/walk (mostly running - probably 10:1)

walk/run (mostly walking).

im on the first week 3rd day and really enjoy it. what's good is it's measured in minutes and not miles (except the long run/walk..)

the only training i did for the Minnie was really just run/walking as much as possible the month before and i made sure i got a 9 miler in a couple weeks before the race... i had my plastic surgery the end of Feb so training was a challenge.

training for Chicago is 20 weeks and is going to be interesting...

Bea - havent read the one that Yankee is using, but i cannot say better things about Marathoning for Mortals ... it came highly recommended to me by runners ...

good luck, maybe DH, DD & i can go to just cheer you guys on!

Hi again!!

I apprecaite your input - I'll have to check into that Marathoning for Mortals. I like the name :lol:

Last week was my first week of training, and I was able to get 7 miles logged (it was a short week for me, Tue-Sat).

Sunday was the start of my new week, and my goal this week is to get 8 miles (run 2 miles, 4x this week).

I'm taking it slowly, but, I'm dedicated.

I just hope the momentum stays intact!!

I've started a new blog - I find it helps keep me accountable if I know family/friends are reading it.. haha!

Check it out if you get a chance!

Thanks girls!

I think I can...