Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve

I'm trying to learn everything I can about GS surgery-do you have any regrets?

Yes. My regret is that I got the band first.

I should have been sleeved first. It would have saved me about $12,5K and my sanity.

i planned on having the lapband and posted my question right here, thanks to MacM and WasaBB, they steered me towards the VSG....No regrets whatsover...i am 2 days post op and loving my sleeve! I had it in Mexico with dr Alvarez and he is fantastic....i had my leak test yesterday and was excellent results. I would advise that u get the VSG over the lapband....it's a thousand times better!!!

I hope this helped!

i planned on having the lapband and posted my question right here, thanks to MacM and WasaBB, they steered me towards the VSG....No regrets whatsover...i am 2 days post op and loving my sleeve! I had it in Mexico with dr Alvarez and he is fantastic....i had my leak test yesterday and was excellent results. I would advise that u get the VSG over the lapband....it's a thousand times better!!!

I hope this helped!

I totally agree with your choice in surgery types but I cannot agree with your choice in surgeons.

Regardless, the sleeve rocks!

Thanks WasBB. I believe these posts is all about giving guidance to the person considering the VSG rather than what dr is more agreeable to either of us. The VSG rocks irrespective of DRs, As long as they are good at the procedure!

Thanks WasBB. I believe these posts is all about giving guidance to the person considering the VSG rather than what dr is more agreeable to either of us. The VSG rocks irrespective of DRs, As long as they are good at the procedure!

We disagree. The right doctor is critical. If a doctor screws up a band it can typically be fixed by repositioning the band. If the doctor screws up with a sleeve he risks your life.

Does anyone have any idea on cost of the sleeve in the US as opposed to Mexico? (self pay ofcourse). My band has slipped and I may have to get it removed...I'm considering sleeve at that time. My original band was done in Mexico by Dr. Kuri,

It varies Marsha. I paid $17000 for my sleeve in Northern CA (an expensive part of the country). In Mexico, it typically costs around $10,000. There are surgeons in the US who do it cheaper, but I wasn't interested in them for various reasons.

However, that's for a virgin sleeve. A revision is going to cost more.

Hey there

I had my sleeve done on Jan 13 in Tijuana, MX by Dr Lopez & Dr. Pompa. The total cost of mine was $8500, exc the plane tickets & the tips for the drivers. It was a wonderful experience. :(

Up here in Washington state, to pay out of pocket would run about $23k, I believe.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone have any idea on cost of the sleeve in the US as opposed to Mexico? (self pay ofcourse). My band has slipped and I may have to get it removed...I'm considering sleeve at that time. My original band was done in Mexico by Dr. Kuri,

Usually a revision price is more than a straight sleeve price. You have to make sure you go to the best of the best. Don't let some crappy coordinator for bad or unknown surgeons talk you into a bad doctor. Many lie through their teeth about their stats, watch that too.

I hope this helped!

How do you know that the sleeve is "a thousand times better!!!" than the band if you never had it? Just curious?

How do you know that the sleeve is "a thousand times better!!!" than the band if you never had it? Just curious?

I've had both band and sleeve and the sleeve is 1000x better! ;o)

WASA,

Do you have anything nice to say about any other doctor than your own?

Attacking coordinators & doctors on this forum is BS, and I'm getting tired of listening to it.

I was very fortunate - everything turned out great.

If you have a problem with someone, I'd suggest talking to that person face to face or taking it to them, PM or email. You mistakenly thought I was someone else, and didn't even apologize to me for that.

Your opinion is just that... your opinion.

An innocent question was asked, and answered by me about MY experience... PERIOD.

It's because of this that I basically don't come to this forum often.

WASA,

Do you have anything nice to say about any other doctor than your own?

Attacking coordinators & doctors on this forum is BS, and I'm getting tired of listening to it.

I was very fortunate - everything turned out great.

If you have a problem with someone, I'd suggest talking to that person face to face or taking it to them, PM or email. You mistakenly thought I was someone else, and didn't even apologize to me for that.

Your opinion is just that... your opinion.

An innocent question was asked, and answered by me about MY experience... PERIOD.

It's because of this that I basically don't come to this forum often.

I always have good things to say about the better doctors. Aceves isn't the only one and I've never claimed he is. I also routinely discuss Rumbaut and Zapata. They are the best in MX.

BTW, if you will notice I didn't respond to you or your post. I was responding to someone else.

Wasa didn't mention your doctor at all. She said that if you are getting a revision, you need a really experienced surgeon ... which is true. Revisions are harder than virgin surgeries and the chance of leaks is much greater.

Wasa didn't mention your doctor at all. She said that if you are getting a revision, you need a really experienced surgeon ... which is true. Revisions are harder than virgin surgeries and the chance of leaks is much greater.

Thanks, M!

Very true, for a revision from band to sleeve you don't go to a sleeve surgeon, you go to a revision surgeon. There aren't many around.

For a revision from band to sleeve the risk for a leak is 3x greater than working on a virgin stomach. Thus, you go to a revision surgeon. Leaks are very expensive and can cause bankruptcy AND major major major health issues. You have to go to the best of the best for revisions.