Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pollens asthma and lapbands

Hi Everybody,

DeniseG mentioned that bands could be affected by pollens eg get tighter.

As an asthmatic I'm interested if other people with hayfever, asthma, sinus problems have experienced any related problems.

Take care all,

Rachel.

Hi Rachel,

Alergies will make you more restricted.My throat is irritated from allergies now and it affect my restriction cause I have a little swelling in there. I am used to it though. THis is my second year of dealing with these issues.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

This makes me wonder. I started taking Singulair a few weeks before my surgery and it helped alot, especailly this time of year. I don't get asthma out of the blue, during exercise, etc but when I am exposed to allergens (dog dander, pollen, etc) I get wheezy in my chest, as well as general snottiness and dry itchy eyes. So the Singulair was helpful.

I took my last pill the day before my surgery and haven't had any since. I'm feeling it. AND I have had trouble with swelling of my stoma, to the point of not being able to swallow my own saliva (this happened about a week out from surgery) It's improving daily, but I am not eating the menu of other Bandsters my "age". Still taking it very slow, so as not to irritate things.

So, I wonder how much of this swelling problem is related to my allergies? I need to use my inhaler about once every other day at bedtime. I have the snotties, a bit of cough, and mucus, I'm just really feeling the allergies...

Today, I will take my Singulair, even if it says do not crush (I'm taking NO chances of getting stuck) and if it's better I'll let you know. Of course, it may take a few days.

It just really makes me wonder if my allergy situation is not helping my swelling/tightness situation?

I'm curious about other answers here!

End of Feb. I had a little sinus stuff, and definately experienced more restriction.

So, yep! I agree with this......

bands could be affected by pollens eg get tighter.

Kathy and all other allergy sufferers: Yes I think the amount of restriction can be affected. Anything that can cause you to have an allergic reaction will shoot histamine into your system and this can cause some swelling. Sometimes the body can be specific where the histamine reaction shows up but in general the whole body is affected.

Hope this helps.

BY the way, I am a hay fever sufferer. Yes I get higher restriction when it is flared up. I also have higher restriction when I have a cold or symptoms associated with a cold.

I have horrid restriction when I have a sinus problem. I use Flonase and Allegra daily but as of late it is not helping that much.

I also have been clearing my throat alot today meaning there is alot of pollin in the air. My Asthma is come and go since I have had the band I have only used it as a need to basis where as before it was used daily.

Before I had my band my asthma was TERRIBLE, to the point of being life threatening. Over Christmas I spent 10 days in hospital, and was having trouble with a partial colapsed lung. (again.) Not to mention all the trips to the ER...

I gained about 10 pounds between when I had my pre-op stuff and my surgery. My surgeon noted it, but when I said the words "asthma" and "steroids", all he said was "ah. let's get you done then."

There was some concern that I would have real difficulties with the general because of my breathing problmes, but my pulminologist was there as well, so no worries. This was particularly a worry because just a few days before the surgery, my classmates had to call 911 for an amulance.

it has now been FIVE WEEKS since I've used my albuteral or combivent inhalers. (Monday will be six weeks since I"ve been banded) This is a HUGE deal for me. I still use my advair inhailer, my singulare, my allegra daily. But I'm not afraid I'm going to die anymore.

Donali told me that my asthma would probably be much better after I had my band installed. I didn't quite believe her because I was soooo sick. But she was right.

Kathy, I sure hope you can get your singulare down. I find that a hot beverage, like a nice thin cream Soup, helps to keep my meds from getting stuck.

Kathy, I sure hope you can get your singulare down. I find that a hot beverage, like a nice thin cream Soup, helps to keep my meds from getting stuck.

Update: I got it down! I looked at the pill again it it looked small enough, so I slid it down with a few swigs of Boost, felt is pass, and I'm fine, no crushing!!! So relieved. So now I'll take it everyday (the pollen is all OVER the deck, not helping) so I hope to feel some relief soon. That Singulair is not an antihistimine, it's works differently so I'm not sure if it will keep me from swelling at all (like what you said, Penni). Even if it doesn't though, my allergies will be better for it! Thanks Crystal, and everyone, I'll keep you posted and will look here for other feedback!

Good thread, Rachel! Thanks!

I have been a Two allergy shot a month person since age 17. I'm 54 now and still take shots.. Normally people who get allergy injection can be weaned to oral meds over a period of time but thats not the case with me. When ever they try just meds I have difficulty and end up back on injections.

I have allergy induced Asthma and I have two children who are severe asthmatics. We have three machines in the house and allergy meds on every counter. Inhalers like you won't believe.

In 1992(phew this goes back aways...lol) I got the flu then went into phenuma(can't spell it but can catch it like crazy...lol). While awaiting a hopsital bed to open I had a major asthma attack and had to be rushed to the hospital. I spent 32 days out of work 20 in hospital 10 of those on a respirator and I lost 4 days while in a coma and they thought I won't survive.

End result of this was that I have never had or even felt like I was going to have another asthama attack since. Doctors are completely amazed at this fact. I do not use an inhaler or my machine and have not since my release form the hospital...go figure this one out. One Dr simply stated I had such a severe attack he said I must have just blown it right out of my system.

I still suffer from severe allergies and still on monthly injections but generally speaking since banding my allergies have improved. My allergist stated since my general health has inproved my body is handling the allergies better. Not that I will ever get off the injections but at least I don't have as much stuffy time during the months.

I know this is quite long posting but I guess the point is the better we are helath wise the better lots of our health issues will get. And from a long time allergy sufferer I sure hope those out there that suffer from them get healthier and their allergy problem lihghten up for them.

sometimes my asthma is activated if my restriction is too tight... or if i overeat...go figure...

elizabeth

My allergist stated since my general health has inproved my body is handling the allergies better.

Greg, this is interesting.

In my heavier days, my allergies/sinuses were much worst too! hmmmm.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Alisa_S

Saw my PCP & officially started my 6 month supervised diet 07/26/24. She just told me to eat less carbs & sugar, use the air fryer and not fry my foods in grease, and to try to walk 30 minutes 3 days a week & if I can't do that (and I cannot), to walk 10 minutes daily. Told me to walk fast enough that my heart rate is raised.  She didn't give me a number as far as calories though. A year or so ago I was doing low carb/sugar free and keeping my calories at 1800 or below. She said I should up my cals to 2000 at that time, so that's what I'm shooting for now.
      Hubby walked with me today. He's in pretty bad shape so I was surprised he wanted to. We walked down the gravel road at a pretty good pace (for us LOL). 10 minutes walking and my heart rate was 115bps according to my Fitbit and 125bps according to his pulsometer. Either way, it was elevated and I was breathing hard. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a start. We'll do it again tomorrow. 😁
      I should be hearing from the surgeon soon. She said if I didn't, to call him next week. Since I HAVE to do the 6 month diet & that's going to put me into January by the time it's done, I'm hoping the surgeon will let me do all my testing in January. I don't want to do it all now and have my deductible get met, only to have to pay the deductible again in January or February for my surgery. Praying that things go the way I hope. 🙏
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • stanley_imarc

IMARC Group’s report titled “Alternative Sweeteners Market Report by Product Type (High Fructose Syrup, High-Intensity Sweeteners, Low-Intensity Sweeteners), Source (Natural, Synthetic), Application (Food, Beverages, and Others), and Region 2024-2032”. The global alternative sweeteners market size reached US$ 4.9 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 7.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 4.05% during 2024-2032.
      Grab a sample PDF of this report: https://www.imarcgroup.com/alternative-sweeteners-market/requestsample
      Factors Affecting the Growth of the Alternative Sweeteners Industry:
      Health Consciousness: The increasing awareness among individuals about the health issues linked to high sugar consumption, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, is supporting the market growth. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious and seeking products that can provide sweetness without the negative health effects associated with sugar. This shift in consumer preferences is leading to a greater demand for low-calorie and natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol. These sweeteners offer the added benefit of having minimal impact on blood glucose levels, making them suitable for diabetic and health-conscious individuals.
      Technological Advancements: Innovations in the production and formulation of alternative sweeteners are impelling the market growth. Advancements in biotechnology and food science are leading to the development of high-intensity sweeteners with improved taste profiles and functional properties. Innovations in fermentation processes enhance the production efficiency and quality of natural sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit. These technological improvements are making alternative sweeteners more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers. Enhanced stability, solubility, and sweetness intensity allow these sweeteners to be used in a wide range of products, ranging from beverages to baked goods.
      Consumer Trends and Preferences: Evolving consumer trends and preferences are playing a significant role in driving the alternative sweeteners market. The growing demand for clean-label products, which are healthier and free from artificial ingredients, is offering a favorable market outlook. Consumers are increasingly seeking natural and plant-based sweeteners, aligning with broader trends toward plant-based diets and veganism. Besides this, there is an increase in the demand for low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives that support weight management and overall wellness. Food and beverage companies are responding to these trends by innovating and expanding their product lines to include options sweetened with alternative sweeteners, thereby catering to changing tastes and health concerns of modern consumers.
      Alternative Sweeteners Market Report Segmentation:
      By Product Type:
      High Fructose Syrup High-Intensity Sweeteners Low-Intensity Sweeteners High-intensity sweeteners represent the largest segment as they require only a fraction of the quantity to achieve the desired sweetness.
      By Source:
      Natural Synthetic On the basis of the source, the market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
      By Application:
      Food Beverages Others Food accounts for the largest market share due to the rising utilization of sweeteners in a wide variety of food products.  
      Regional Insights:
      North America (United States, Canada) Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Others) Europe (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, Others) Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Others) Middle East and Africa Asia Pacific region enjoys a leading position in the alternative sweeteners market on account of changing lifestyles of individuals.    
      Global Alternative Sweeteners Market Trends:
      Governing agencies and health organizations of several countries are implementing policies to reduce sugar consumption as they recognize its detrimental health impacts. Various regulatory bodies are approving alternative sweeteners for use, ensuring their safety and efficacy. These approvals provide food and beverage manufacturers with the confidence to incorporate alternative sweeteners into their products. Additionally, initiatives like sugar taxes in several countries are pushing companies to seek healthier alternatives to traditional sugar.   
      Furthermore, advancements in production techniques are making some alternative sweeteners more cost-competitive than traditional sugar. Consumers are becoming more concerned about the environmental impact of traditional sugar production and preferring more sustainable alternative sweeteners.
      Note: If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, we will provide it to you as a part of the customization.
      About Us
      IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
      IMARC Group’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
      Contact US
      IMARC Group
      134 N 4th St. Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
      Email: sales@imarcgroup.com
      Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
      United States: +1–631–791–1145 | United Kingdom: +44–753–713–2163

· 0 replies
    • Luis E. Lara

Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

Welcome!

I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Alisa_S

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches