Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night time reflux? Pls see your Doc!

Hi all,

After months of on and off night-time reflux I finally went to my surgeon. I have a badly stretched pouch caused by my fill being too tight.

Now for the weird part...my last fill was October 2007, but over time the fill has gotten tighter instead of looser. In the same period of time (Oct to now) I've lost 15 pounds. I don't understand the mechanics of how that can be possible, but the barium swallow showed that liquids are barely getting through and there is a large bulge on the right side of the pouch....yet no PBs, no sliming, nada.

So if something just doesn't feel right PLEASE go see your surgeon even if you are self-pay like me and don't want to spend the $150 cause you know nothing is wrong (which I was sure of; I only went to the doc because my husband - who is also banded - begged me to). I avoided a slip, thank heavens, but I will never again think "this can't happen to me".

Thank you, Lisa!!! Wise words!

wow thanks for the info. i have a question for you. i feel like i may be too tight only because sometimes i can eat a "normal" amount, but mostly can only take a couple of bite. it seams that after i eat i get really bad back pain. ??? weird, did you have anything similar? i did have night time acid reflux. but not all the time. also i would wake up and feel like i was drowing because Fluid would come back up and i guess get in my lungs and would have me in a coughing fit. if this sounds familiar will you let me know? its been several months since my last fill.

thanks!

Hi lcain,

I didn't have the back pain, but I too could sometimes eat a lot (which is what the stretched pouch allowed) and other times I could eat almost nothing.

I also didn't have reflux nightly. It probably only happened five times over the course of two months, but I also had a "tugging" sensation in my upper chest that was super uncomfortable and a gurgling noise when I laid down at night.

My doc did a complete unfill and for the next week I'm on liquids then mushies so the swelling and dilation can resolve itself.

Reflux symptoms are so subtle sometimes, aren't they?

Great reminder!

Any new signs of reflux should always be reported to your doctor!

I've seen a lot of people with complications mention reflux at night or when they lay down.

I'm glad you are ok :lol:

Lisa, The barium swallow also showed the stretched pouch?

I'm going Thursday for a slight unfill and guess I'll cough up the extra money for a barium swallow, too....just to make sure. The only reflux symptoms I have are that some spicy or acidic foods irritate my esophagus. Only once have I ever been woken up by night-time irritation/coughing, but I chalked that up to eating too late at night, which I rarely do.

Heart burn and acid reflux (GERD) don't necessarily occur together but either of these symptoms should trigger a call to the surgeon's office for a check. They are most commonly caused by pouch dilation due to overeating. The treatment is a complete unfill, acid blockers for some people (nexium, aciphex, etc), and Clear Liquids progressing to soft and then regular. Diagnosis is made via an esophagram. You drink a small amount of barium (2 ounces or so) and stand in front of a screen. The "virtual" x-ray visualizes the barium as it travels down the digestive tract.

Hi Terry,

Sorry for my delay in responding.

Yes the barium swallow showed the pouch dilation. Best $150 I've spent in quite a while.

I have been reading your posts about reflux.

This is what I have been going through:

Last night I had popcorn before going to bed and added some Old Bay Seasoning to it...well this morning I was awaked by a "burb" of stomach acid an then vomited up what seemed like a bucket of stomach acid and was not able to eat much today, only watery grits and iced tea.

The day before I vomited quite a bit of liquids after 1/2 of my morning Cappuccino.

I had my gallbladder removed last year so I know that is not it.

I am taking fertility medicines and I know they can cause reflux issues but this time it is really bad. I have also had a few bad food allergy issues where I had severe vomiting and had to use my epi pen (things have not been the same since)

Crap...as I write this it becomes clear that I need to see my DR. have him check for slippage and get an unfill....UGH!!!!

What do you guys think?:blink: