Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urgent Advice- high fever + reflux

I would really appreciate any insight into a problem I am having, which may be urgent. I am almost 5 yrs post banding. I have awakened in the early morning hours (like 5 am) on 3 occasions in the past 6 months with reflux and severe coughing and wheezing spasms, followed a few hours later with high fever (104.3, 104.2, and night before last 103.4) along with hard shaking chills lasting for 3-4 hours, followed by total body aching, severe headache. There is tightness in my chest. Fever left in 24 hrs, and was only about 100 after the chills left and sweating started, although I stayed weak and lethargic for a couple of weeks after the first 2 times. Went to internist first 2 times- blood cultures and urine cultures were neg, and by the time I got there in the afternoon, fever was only 100. Had a chest X-Ray the first time which was normal. White blood cell count was high both times. This time, because it is a holiday (and that means a trip to the ER). I'm wondering if this isn't a band complication. Any experience or advice about what I should do? Thanks!

Thanks so much. Banding experience- banded almost 5 years, 215 at time of band, 144 low about a year and a half ago. Gained 20 lbs over past year and half since last fill= 164 now. No reflux prior to band and now have some days where I can eat anything without restriction and others when everything comes up (gently, not violently) with lots of mucus. I have some pain with eating right now and the reflux-fever-?aspiration, I presume. I have been sleeping with my head up about 45 degrees and still am awakened with coughing after reflux despite Prilosec. I'll call my bariatric surgeon tomorrow I think-- this does seem like a band problem, no? The internist didn't think of band issues when I got so sick like this before, & I just didn't think of going to the bariatric surgeon for a fever, headache, and cough! Prob a mistake- think at heart I didn't want a total unfill (my guy does this at the drop of a hat) and have been in a bit of denial about the seriousness of this.

did you ever find out what was causing the fever as I am having the symptoms

thanks

You should call the place that banded you, make an appointment and go in immediately to see him about this. If it's not a band thing, no harm done. But it could be and you must know if so! Acid reflux is a frequent band issue but why it would crop up now all of a sudden? One prevacid a day can cure that -- but talk to that banding physician would be my advice. Call now!!

I know, I had the same symptoms many years ago (did not have my band then). In the morning I was fine than in the afternoon, I knew, 5:00pm came and my fever was up to 104, till morning, and all over agian. I was diagnosed with Mano. Hope you feel better.

I have very similar symptoms and have had all sorts of tests - now I am waiting for an appointment with a rhuematologist. Could all this be caused by the lapband. I also have a terrible problem with excess mucus at night. I'm looking for any advice on what can be he problem. I had surgery June 2006, have lost 80 pounds and am very pleased with the lapband experience - except for the "sliming" all night and possibilty that my mysterious fevers (I also get a rash sometimes) are band related.

Right now i have the same problem. Same symptoms get flu like symptoms with high fever 104 a lot of coughing and mucus. I just had fill yesterday morning and it happened last night. I wake up feeling miserable with fever and coughing. One time it turned into pneumonia. Now i have a spot on my lung from the pneumonia. I think it stems from being too tight! I called dr. And if i dont feel any better by tomorrow i will have to call in morning and maybe get some taken out.

Let me know what your doctor says. This whole fever and/or mucus thing seems to be something those with bands experience, but doctors aren't really aware of.

I have experienced 8 incidents of a high fever (101+) for the past 9 weeks. I had many blood tests which showed my Red Blood Cells were low and my Sed Rate was very high (52). I finally just had CT imaging with contrast on Thursday and they found the problem. My band has slipped and is causing aspiration of solid food particles & liquid into lungs. I am relieved to know the cause will see a pulmonologist on Monday and my LapBand doctor tomorrow to unfill. At this point after what I have been through, I want the lapband out.