Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just looking for some support

I went to my doctor this saturday for my meds refills and she is the one that told me about lap band surgery, and recommended that I use Alli weight loss system until I see the doctor she told me about. Now, my problem comes with the person I live with<boyfriend>. Whenever I try to lose weight he starts bringing home the stuff that I am weak for, strawberry ice cream and potato chips. then he will make comments about my weight...why does he try to sabotage me like this...:unsure:

I went to my doctor this saturday for my meds refills and she is the one that told me about lap band surgery, and recommended that I use Alli weight loss system until I see the doctor she told me about. Now, my problem comes with the person I live with<BOYFRIEND>. Whenever I try to lose weight he starts bringing home the stuff that I am weak for, strawberry ice cream and potato chips. then he will make comments about my weight...why does he try to sabotage me like this...:unsure:

He is probally just scared you will get all skinny and leave him!! lol he will come around if he truly loves you!

He is probally just scared you will get all skinny and leave him!! lol he will come around if he truly loves you!

you might be right..but it makes it hard, I would not buy this stuff...but I am determined that if I am approved for this, to do everything right and lose this weight....thank you!

I went to my doctor this saturday for my meds refills and she is the one that told me about lap band surgery, and recommended that I use Alli weight loss system until I see the doctor she told me about. Now, my problem comes with the person I live with<BOYFRIEND>. Whenever I try to lose weight he starts bringing home the stuff that I am weak for, strawberry ice cream and potato chips. then he will make comments about my weight...why does he try to sabotage me like this...:thumbup:

Maybe he's just insecure and feels if you lost the weight you would leave him. This is definitely something you need to sit down and talk to him about. His support in this surgery is important, but not as important as you making up your mind you are doing it for you and your health. With lap band, the weaknesses are easier to manage. I have three children and it used to be difficult. After surgery, it's been 100% easier. I had lap band surgery 10/07. I tried it all before, including Alli. Remember that when you do go to see the surgeon for lap band surgery, they go by your initial weigh in and he will require you to lose weight before surgery. It could be anywhere from 10-100 pounds (depending on your weigh in). If you are more overweight, you'll need to lose more weight before surgery. If you already have trouble losing weight, sometimes it is extremely hard to lose it prior to surgery. When I went, I went in at my heaviest and after the initial weigh in, I went on Clear Liquids for ten days before going back to see him and I lost 10 pounds. They won't do the surgery until you lose the pre op weight. :unsure:

Maybe he's just insecure and feels if you lost the weight you would leave him. This is definitely something you need to sit down and talk to him about. His support in this surgery is important, but not as important as you making up your mind you are doing it for you and your health. With lap band, the weaknesses are easier to manage. I have three children and it used to be difficult. After surgery, it's been 100% easier. I had lap band surgery 10/07. I tried it all before, including Alli. Remember that when you do go to see the surgeon for lap band surgery, they go by your initial weigh in and he will require you to lose weight before surgery. It could be anywhere from 10-100 pounds (depending on your weigh in). If you are more overweight, you'll need to lose more weight before surgery. If you already have trouble losing weight, sometimes it is extremely hard to lose it prior to surgery. When I went, I went in at my heaviest and after the initial weigh in, I went on Clear Liquids for ten days before going back to see him and I lost 10 pounds. They won't do the surgery until you lose the pre op weight. :unsure:

thank you....how do they decide how much you need to lose before the surgery?? Is there a set way of doing this or is it different with each doctor?

I tried the Alli system last summer. WOW-that was a huge mistake for me! LOL

The Story:

Well, I didn't take my pills one day because the next day we were going to a party and I knew there wouldn't be any "fat free" foods there. I have to tell you that I was feeling good- I ate a burger and some ribs... Then in the middle of a conversation, I felt my stomach rumbling. I ran to the bathroom and spent the next hour crapping out oil. The smell was so disgusting. I had to go home- Thank God for leather seats because I farted out a giant oil stain on the way home. I came home and threw the pills away- gained 20lbs and vowed I would never take ANY diet pills of any kind again.

Your roommate sounds a lot like my hubby. In a way, I truly believe he wants me to be fat forever. It's almost like it's his "comfort food" if you know what I mean. It's a security blanket for them- if we don't look "hot", we won't want to leave.

My hubby doesn't believe this and almost gets offended when I tell him. But it's the honest truth about how I feel.

I wish you luck and remember- always do what's best for you... It's your body and your life- Live it to the fullest!!!

I think that you should sit him down one on one and tell him straight up that you don't want him to bring home ice cream and potato chips. Tell him that when he has done that in the past it has sabotaged your weight loss attempts and that you truly want to succeed this time. If it then seems like he has a problem with that, ask him why! No one should have a problem with you losing weight and becoming healthier. If he cares about you, he should support you and thats the truth. He is more than welcome to eat whatever he wants, but he should have the respect to not do it in front of you, seeing as in the past this is what has made you fail. I think that if you tell him this (sweetly of course :unsure:) he will understand.