Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 5/22 and need support

I can't believe I did this to myself. I was banded on 5/22 so today is my 5th day post-op. I can't believe people can go back to work 3 days later. I am having lots of nausea and just feel really bad. I don't have a lot of pain. I have a lot of stomach and intestinal distress. I can't seem to stop crying today. I hate feeling sick. I'm not good at it.

I WAS BANDED ON THE SAME DAY AS YOU AND WE ARE THE SAME AGE ALSO. I WENT TO Mexico TO BE BANDED AND SORRY TO SAY I'M NOT HAVING A HARD TIME LIKE YOU. TRY THIS AND SEE IF IT HELPS. I TOOK GAS-X(2)STIX FROM THE TIME THEY TOLD ME TO GET UP AND WALK. PLUS, GET A HEATING PAD OR WARM COMPRESS AND PLACE OVER STOMACH, IT WILL HELP WITH THE INTESTINAL UPSET. I DIDN'T TAKE AND PAIN pills AFTER I GOT OUT HOSPITAL BECAUSE NURSE SAID THEY COULD MAKE NASUEA W/O food, THAT'S WHY HEATING PAD WORKED SO GOOD. YOU NEED TO GET OUT AND WALK, NOTHING IS BETTER, THAN FOR YOU TO WALK AND IT WILL GET BETTER!!! PM AT ANYTIME FOR SUPPORT......YOU WILL MAKE IT!!

LENA23

I must be the poster child for easy banding. Banded 5/16 (Friday) back to work 5/19 Monday off pain meds Tuesday a little discomfort not too much and am now doing treadmill 30 mins a day plus 2 long walks with the dog. I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Elaine

I was the same way, took off Friday, 01/25/08 (band day), and went back to work on 01/28/08. I had mostly gas pains the first couple of weeks and now an occasional gas pain here and there but doing good with it as well. It will get better for you!! :) Good luck to all of us!!!

Redrobin, take a big breath and remember what fistgirl said..."The thing is, we just had abdominal surgery!" That's a BIG thing!!

I had a fairly easy first 5 days after surgery and then it all went south. I had a bad case of intestinal distress (diarreah) that almost put me in the hospital. I had to take an extra week off work (2 wks total). Then, throughout the 3rd and part of the 4th week, I came home from work and went to bed for a nap. Of course age and health has a lot to do with how quickly you bounce back.

I was banded the first week of April and I am doing great! All the distress is gone and I feel pretty normal. However, the band and the incisions still remind me every so often that I am no longer the person I used to be.

So be encouraged by all of the great testimonies that are on this site and keep reading and don't forget to keep your Dr. and nutritionist informed on your progress. I was on the phone with mine at least 1-2 times a week for the first 2 weeks. They didn't mind and they gave me great advice and helped me through the bad times.

Redrobin, I got banded on 5/23 and have not felt that great either. I thought that I would be back to normal in 3 days, I am not even close. I know I'm not drinking or eating enough and I am still extremely sore, not to mentioned bruised thoughout my abdomen. I thought I was just being wimpy.

I was a bit embarrassed when I saw all of these people saying that they had no pain, didn't need pain medications, were back to work in 3 days, and felt fabulous. I felt like crap and still don't feel 100%. I'm 10 days out and I'm glad that I'm still home.

I'm going to go into work a couple of days this week and get some paper work done but my job is to heal...even though it's taking me a bit longer than most others. I'm walking everyday and taking it a bit slower transitioning to pureed foods. We all heal at different rates. I'm a diabetic which means that I heal slower than non-diabetics do...I also have irritable bowel syndrome which is compounding the gastrointestinal problems brought on by the surgery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all have to take our own path...if you still needs those pain meds then continue to take them. There are some people that don't need pain meds but there are others that do. The more pain you are in the more stress your body is under. Rest when you need to rest, take the GasX strips, walk as much as you can, and keep to the diet that your doctor has required.