Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone recommend a surgeon in Tennessee

Hi everybody! I'm new to this site as of today, but for the past few weeks I've been finding out all kinds of valuable info here. Thanks! I haven't been banded yet but have been working w/ my primary since January trying to get things together for the insurance company. I have friends that have had bypass but don't know anyone personally that has been banded. Does anyone know of a good surgeon in East Tennessee? I've found a few that my insurance covers but don't have much info on any of them.

Thanks for the info! Dr Colquitt may be the closest recommended surgeon for me and, he's covered by my insurance. I've been doing some research on him and his staff. All of the patients comments have been very positive. I wish they would let me know soon if I am approved or not....fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help! :thumbup:)

Hello,

I am from East TN. I have not been banded yet either, I am in the very, very begining stages. I have gone to 2 different seminars. One at Parkwest Hospital in Koxville,TN and listened to a Dr. Boyce and his team last week. And just this past thursday I went to Johnson City Medical Hospital to listen to the staff with Dr. Hodges and Dr.Watson.

I am leaning more toward Dr. Boyce and his group in Knoxville.

I have an appointment on July 1 with my primary doctor to get together my referal letter to the surgern and insurance.

Anyhow, those to groups are the only ones I know of and they were refered to me by a local surgeon where I live. He leans more toward Knoxville.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

There is an excellent surgeon in Chattanooga, TN...Dr. Ponce...He actually was one of the few to do lapbands on patients and was involved with the doctors who did extensive research on the band before it was released by the FDA...He is also located in Dalton, GA.

Dr Paynter did mine in Chattanooga. He is with Dr Ponce. If you go to gastricbandinstitute.com you can read about them. They are great.

Carrie,

Have you had good results with your banding?? Did he put you on a pre diet? Dr. Ponce is doing mine...I wasn't told to do anything except Clear liquids 24 hr. prior to sx. My surgery is on the 30th. Also, what made you decide to go to Dr. Paynter?

Thanks,

Katie

Katie,

Hi, I had my band put in on May 22. I am doing really well, down almost 10 pounds. This last week has been pretty tough because I haven't had much restriction. I go for my first fill on Monday and I'm sure that will help. But I have been doing great otherwise, no nausea or anything. I only had to do Clear Liquids 24 hours before as well. I think it is mostly men that have to do the liquids longer because they store a lot of their fat around their livers.

I didn't really care who did my surgery, but when I called to make the appointment, they scheduled me with Dr Paynter because Dr Ponce is only in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and those are days I have to work, so I went with Paynter because he is there Mondays and Wednesdays. That is really the only reason. It didn't matter to me, and I really like Dr Paynter, and I am sure they are both very qualified.

Good luck with your surgery! The first few days are a little rough, but it gets much better. I am sure you will do fine!

Thanks everyone for all your info! Ponce was my first choice but my insurance doesn't cover him or anyone in his group apparently! Bummer.... So I now have an appointment with Dr. Rutledge in Chattanooga on July 10th. I know some people who have used him for bypass but not the band. If I decide he isn't going to work out I have chosen Dr. Colquitt in Maryville for my second option. I've been on this journey since October and now that it's getting closer i'm really getting nervous!!! Did any of you get cold feet at this point??

Missymoo, I certainly understand how you feel. I really didn't have time to get cold feet. I had my consultation in November and I scheduled all of my pre-ops about 2 weeks before my surgery date of Dec. 26. I was working a lot of overtime to compensate for my being out for 2 weeks following the surgery. I felt fine after 1 week but since I had FMLA and couldn't lift anything I stayed out another week. As you can see it was a very quick process. I actually went to 4 seminars 2 years in a row. I went once for myself and 3 times with friends. I think it is ironic that none of my friends know that I have the band (I never expressed any interest, I just went for support) yet I know they all want the band but their insurance wont pay for it. I think a lot of people get cold feet before make a big decision such as this one.Good luck to you and I am wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is normal to have cold feet. I had cold feet right up until surgery! I think everyone does. But you will be fine.

Thanks so much! I think this site is soooooo great! It's the best I have found for info and support! Thanks again! :wink_smile:)