Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thinking about getting this done

hello. im 25 yrs old. and i truthfully weigh 398 lbs.:D im about 5'5 and have had only 1 minor surgery done. it was a pilonidal cyst removal. i never had surgery around my stomach before. but heard of this lap band from 2 people i know. one person had it done and is so happy that she did, and the other person is going to get it done, and can't wait. my doctor did bring up surgery for me to lose weight, at the time i was like no way.. but now.. im really considering it. since i've tried dieting and some what exercising myself, with no sucess of losing weight. read a couple of posts here and it sounds painful, but i guess the pain is for any surgery. i've had no other medical problems, its just getting to the point where i can't bend over i can't even tie my shoes or put socks on with out sitting down. and everytime i do exercise i hurt all over. just wondering if i'ld be able to do this, and IF i should go through with this kind of surgery...:confused2:

I'm 48 years old, and I'm almost 6' feet tall and I weigh 350 pds. All my life I've struggled with my weight . I've gone from slim to really obese, up and down ,up and down. Now, I'm disabled with various dieases including diabetes and high blood pressure. I'm scheduled to be banded on June 18th and am really looking forward to it. I know it's going to be alot of work, but I'm hoping this will be the solution!

If you are ABLE to and WANTING to then I say heck yeah do the surgery! 100% personal choice but FOR ME and speaking ONLY for me....When I started this journey I was 315 pounds. I had dieted, exercised, lost weight. I went back to my old eating habits and regained the weight plus some every time. Somewhere on here I posted that I had "dieted" myself up to my highest weight and yes I really feel that way. I knew that once I hit 300 lbs I was not going to be able to do this by myself ( I know there are many people in this word who have lost weight without surgery, I don't feel I could have)

You are so young, what a opportunity to have the Lap Band available!! I wish it was out there many a year ago. Research it, ask your doctor about it, go to a seminar then answer your own question! Good-Luck to you whatever you choose! :biggrin2:

hello. im 25 yrs old. and i truthfully weigh 398 lbs.:D im about 5'5 and have had only 1 minor surgery done. it was a pilonidal cyst removal. i never had surgery around my stomach before. but heard of this lap band from 2 people i know. one person had it done and is so happy that she did, and the other person is going to get it done, and can't wait. my doctor did bring up surgery for me to lose weight, at the time i was like no way.. but now.. im really considering it. since i've tried dieting and some what exercising myself, with no sucess of losing weight. read a couple of posts here and it sounds painful, but i guess the pain is for any surgery. i've had no other medical problems, its just getting to the point where i can't bend over i can't even tie my shoes or put socks on with out sitting down. and everytime i do exercise i hurt all over. just wondering if i'ld be able to do this, and IF i should go through with this kind of surgery...:confused2:

Hi, I am 26yrs old and was just banded on 5/19/08! I too have only had one other surgery other than this and it was an outpatient surgery so the thought if getting another was pretty scary! It was something that I debated with for a long time. I weighed 332 and am 5'5" at starting time, I have lost 24 pounds so far...thats being on a liquid diet for 3 weeks so far. I will be honest with you it is really a challange, it is something that you have to want. I can tell you that it was a huge choice I made. I can seriously say that I am and was an active person, I just loved to eat! I love kickboxing and running on the treadmill. But I would never do it cause I was always out eating. Research it, find a great Dr. and do it if you are willing to commit to it for the rest of your life! It will be work! Good luck!

I'm 34 and weighed 245lbs at my heaviest. I'm 5 feet tall. I never had a weight problem until I had my son 7 years ago...at which time I acquired dibetes, high blood pressure, a goiter, and a total melt down of my endocrine system. I also have PCOS which makes it difficult to lose weight.

Had you asked me two years ago if this surgery was for me, I would have declined. I just got to the point where I needed help on this journey. I wanted to be able to play with my son and I wanted to feel good about going out with my husband. I wanted to feel like me again. You know...the skinny me in my head! I wanted to be the person that I loved being before my body and my mind bailed on me. I've lost 13 pounds so far...and I was banded on May 16th.

I can't tell you that it was the best choice I ever made...because I'm still in the healing process and I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm still not afraid of it. LOL. But I look at all of these incredible goals the people here have made and I hope that it works in my favor.

I would take that first step and go to an information session. I did more research for this surgery than I did for my own dissertation!!! The more you know about something the more confident you will feel and the better decisions you will make.

Good luck to you.

You may find that surgery is the only thing that will really help you be able to get down and stay down at a reasonable weight, given your starting weight. Are you wondering whether LapBand is the right choice vs. RNY or some other type of WLS, or more whether surgery vs. no surgery? It's a very personal choice.

I like that the band is, in general, safer. If you have complications and/or hate it, you can have it removed.

Best wishes on making your decision.

Good luck w/ your decision!! I'm in a familiar place myself. I've been working with my primary since January trying to get everything together for the insurance company so they can decide if they will cover my surgery. I did soooo much research before I reached my decision, but I do think that LapBand is right for my situation. I have battled with the weight my entire life and I finally decided that I was just over it! I'm hoping all goes well with the insurance. We are submitting all the info next month and i'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

I'm 34 and weighed 245lbs at my heaviest. I'm 5 feet tall. I never had a weight problem until I had my son 7 years ago...at which time I acquired dibetes, high blood pressure, a goiter, and a total melt down of my endocrine system. I also have PCOS which makes it difficult to lose weight.

Had you asked me two years ago if this surgery was for me, I would have declined. I just got to the point where I needed help on this journey. I wanted to be able to play with my son and I wanted to feel good about going out with my husband. I wanted to feel like me again. You know...the skinny me in my head! I wanted to be the person that I loved being before my body and my mind bailed on me. I've lost 13 pounds so far...and I was banded on May 16th.

I can't tell you that it was the best choice I ever made...because I'm still in the healing process and I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm still not afraid of it. LOL. But I look at all of these incredible goals the people here have made and I hope that it works in my favor.

I would take that first step and go to an information session. I did more research for this surgery than I did for my own dissertation!!! The more you know about something the more confident you will feel and the better decisions you will make.

Good luck to you.

Hi! I'm brand new to this site, this is my first night, and my first post. I am going to have the lapband procedure soon, and have my big interview day with all the doctor's helpers in three weeks. I also have pcos. I was diagnosed when I was 31, when our son was 6. While the diagnosis explained alot, no one knew enough about it to tell me what to expect medically. A lot of very serious mistakes were made with my health, simply because the doctors knew less than I did about my condition. Fortunately, things have gotten a lot better in the last ten or so years, but the damage to my system was done. When I went to the first info seminar, I almost fainted when the doctor listed pcos as a cause for obesity. At any rate, I'm committed to this procedure now, and am determined to have a successful experience. I live in northeast maryland. What part of Pa do you live in?

If this procedure does nothing more than eliminate my type 2 diabetes, I'll be grateful. But more so if the 100 pounds I've put on go away. I'm sorry I can't help you with any postsurgical situations, but I'm a good listener. If I can help, let me know.

:)

I was very fortunate to have a wonderful Endocrinologist that did absolutely everything in her power to help me. From day one she has done her very best to save my kidneys from the high blood pressure and diabetes. I'm so thankful that I found her. I absolutely detest glucophage and never want to take it again.

I have high hopes for the band and I think that it will work for me. I have just failed so many times that I am afraid to say it's going to work.

I'm in Pittsburgh...and it's good to meet you!

Guest JuicyPrincess

I fought for just about 12 yrs to keep the weight off only to slowly actually gain (you know 20 lbs down...30lbs up). I find myself at 5'4" and 270. I used to be an active person, until Migraines became my new daily struggle. I was one of those people who said "surgery is for cheaters, or its the easy way, its even its gross and not needed..people just needed to try harder". I would honestly say i tried harder then anyone i knew personally to lose weight. I worked out so much and tried so hard and EVERY TIME I FAILED...i got right back up and tried again. I told people "you only fail when you quit trying". Well i can tell you i had finally worked my way through all known diets, exercise programs, and trainers known to man kind. I was still at it but feeling...vexed. concerned, depressed and like a failure. About this same time my mom secretly had gastric bypass. then my step father did too. I insisted it wasnt for me, but though...i guess it might be good for some people. I tried WW and fell off again. Honestly at that point i felt like a person who kept falling off a damn horse, sore, tired, hurt, afraid and drained. I felt dumb and/or lazy because i could not do this. And i had my moment...I cant do this alone, can i. That is the first time i heard those words in my head. I did some research and looked at all the surgeries and surgeons i found one i thought looked good and supportive and had great sucess. I went to his seminar..that is the best thing i have done (as for my weight) to date. I left there KNOWING this was for ME. I am some people and i deserve this and i learned why its so hard to lose weight (your body remembers its highest weight and constantly fights to get back to it). I learned it is not a cure for being fat, but a tool. Its like i was trying to fix a car but missing that one tool.

I havent had the surgery yet. My insurance will cover in 10 more months and i am waiting (impatiently). But i will not waiver, i know..i know...i know this is what i need. this site only ever strenthens my feelings and spirit. Isee more sucess and i know even more.

There are so many other surgeries out there but a seminar with a surgeon who does each of them, priceless. go to obesity help and view the surgeons postings by patients. When you hear about your surgery, you will know which one is for you.

Love and care!