Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band failure

I had my lap band 3 yrs ago. Noncompliant in about every way possible. Is it possible to start over again? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean that YOU were non-compliant? or that there was a problem with your band?

I can't imagine why its not possible to start over. The first step would be to find a doctor and nutritionist who you feel comfortable with, and make appointment to see them.

I think one of the beauties of this surgery is that you can put it down and pick it up again later, when you want. If you could give us a little more information, I'm sure people would be happy to help you find ways to start over, but the advice offered will differ depending upon what your situation is. Did you never get any fills? Can you eat solid foods, just too much of it? Or do you eat soft foods because the solid stuff is too hard to eat?

I can eat just about anything. I had a fill once but I think he took it back out. Haven't been back to the DR in 18 months because his bedside manner was horrible. When I asked questions he answered by telling me to be quiet and let him be the Dr. I gave up. Didn't even tell anyone I had the surgery. I read of so many who had good experiences. I am thinking about trying another Dr and giving it a go again. Far as I know the band is still where it is suppose to be.

Get a new doctor who respects you. The lapband is a tool. If you dont really want to lose weight, it's not going to work. I wasnt losing any major weight before either. You need to limit your calories and be committed to not sabatoging it by eating foods that easily go down and have a lot of calories. Its really a mental thing, not a physical thing. If you can get committed to losing weight, go see another doctor, get a fill, and eat healthy food for about 1200 calories a day. You can do it. You have the band inside of you already. You just need to change your mental attitude. Think about the reasons why you keep overeating. Make a commitment to yourself and your new life and you will be successful.

I can eat just about anything. I had a fill once but I think he took it back out. Haven't been back to the DR in 18 months because his bedside manner was horrible. When I asked questions he answered by telling me to be quiet and let him be the Dr. I gave up. Didn't even tell anyone I had the surgery. I read of so many who had good experiences. I am thinking about trying another Dr and giving it a go again. Far as I know the band is still where it is suppose to be.

I don't think there is any reason you can't start over. It is up to you. Do you WANT to lose weight? I would find a doctor who you are comfortable with, make a commitment to yourself to do it and make a plan you can stick with. Your band is there waiting for you when you make up your mind to use it like it was intended! Check in to this site often for support and inspiration. Good luck!

You could say that i started over. I had three fills and gained all but six of the sixty five pounds I lost before and right ofter the surgery. I have now lost 58 pounds since january. I got another fill two weeks ago and it is really coming off now. I now have a new appreciation for the effective ness of the band.

You could say that i started over. I had three fills and gained all but six of the sixty five pounds I lost before and right ofter the surgery. I have now lost 58 pounds since january. I got another fill two weeks ago and it is really coming off now. I now have a new appreciation for the effective ness of the band.

That's really wonderful to hear, BigB! Can you talk a little about why you gained the weight back and why it's coming off now? Was it a matter of not having proper restriction or not working with it? And what are you doing differently this time?

I'd love to hear more!!

Unfortunately, without a good doctor who will listen to you, very little as possible. Communication needs to happen so you can find your sweet spot. What a jerk that he treated you like that! I am so sorry your experience was tainted by his rudeness. Please find a new doctor so you can fall in love with the band again... make sure there's a great bedside manner and mutual respect.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

I lost 45 pounds before I started the pre-op liquid diet in order to get my bmi down. I lost another 15 after the suegery while recovering. So with two weeks of liquids before the surgery and nearly four weeks of liquids after the surgery I was ready to eat. When I got to the point that I could eat I never slowed down. I have a 10cc band and had 7ccs in it until May the 15th. I now have 9ccs and am very retricted but I am enjoying the success. The weight that i lost between Jan and May was by counting calories and excercising.

My surgeon told me that the relationship between the patient and surgeon is very important. You should find a new doctor and just start all over again.

You will do even better this time.

Of course you can!

Getting a lapband implanted isn't the lapband system. It's only the beginning.

I'd start out by getting an adjustment. Then 4 weeks from now, another. Do this until you get restriction. Do this till when you eat normally you gag/slime, etc. Then back off the food a bit...learn your stop signal.

Get a slight unfill if it's too restrictive.

And then sit back, enjoy the weightloss.

But remember, the band causes you to not eat as much....are you ready...really ready for that?

Heck yeah start again IF this is what you want!!! Find another doc...find some one who will listen and HELP you! I think sometimes they forget that we or our insurnace company helps pay for a tiny little bit of their vacation homes! Good -luck to you! :)