Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide if I need fill number 3

I AM losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week. If it weren't for that I would not consider a fill. BUT - I still eat more than a cup and a half at dinner. lunch is also a bit more than that. I get hungry between meals so I snack. Breakfast is always something hot first, then something soft or I PB. I am excercising so I think that is attributing to the loss too.

I still PB if I am not careful chewing, not that often at all now that I am getting the hang if it.

I want to maximize what this band can help me do and feel like I could do more restriction. I trust my doc in that I would not get overfilled (they do it under floroscopy too) and if it did happen know the signs to watch for and could fix it.

Also, I have been making very good MEAL choices but my Snacks haven't been the best - my doc discourages any snacking and sees that as a sign for needing a fill.

What do you think? Should I leave well enough alone or see if I can do better?

If you are losing 1-2 pounds a week, that is exactly what you should be losing. Just getting a tighter fill won't necessarily make you lose more weight, in fact it might slow you down. You should discuss this with your doctor, but you are losing at the proper rate right now.

I'm currently too restricted so I would definately advise you to stay away from another fill at this time, especially since you're right on target with the weekly weight loss. Believe me, being too restricted is worse than thinking you "might" need a fill. I think you're doing great, you're exercising, making good choices and losing weight. You go girl!

yup, I agree, if you are losing the 1 to 2 pounds a week, you are right on target! because you are excersizing you are probably more hungry than if you were not working out.

As always, please use your favorite calorie counter to track your food for a couple of days. (I like this one : http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ )

I know its discouraging... such a slow process!

My thought is that Ive under gone the knife to lose weight, and Ive only lost X amount in X amount of time! :) My only consolation is knowing that it took a while to put it on, therefore its gonna take a while to get it off!

Here is a link that I refer to when I start questioning myself as to whether or not I need a fill:

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

I also agree with Betty.... sometimes being too restricted can actually cause us to consume higher calorie liquids - resulting in a slower weight loss.

Good luck and God Bless you on this journey!

Emmy, a good rule of thumb is if you are losing 1-3 lbs a week you do not need a fill. If it were me I would leave well enough alone. My band only holds 4cc's , how much does yours hold? What is your current fill level right now? How close are you to goal? The reason I ask is if you get another fill while still losing and you keep getting filled to the point you are at maximum fill level and are not close to goal, then what? I use my fills for when I have stopped losing for some time. I have had 3 fills in a year , my last fill was in January of 2005. I still have room in my band for more fills and am 10 lbs from my original goal weight I set back in April of 2004, I may want to lose more weight once I reach the 100 lb mark so Im keeping my band filled conservatively to have the option of more fills down the road for further weight loss. However this requires more head work on my part and not relying on my band to do all the work but I want my band for as long as I can have it

Am I making sense here? I feel like Im rambling, but this is just my opinion on this. Iam sure you will make the best decision for you :D Best of luck to you

You can do it! I know if you try...:D)

After much discussion with my doctor, reading here and soul searching I decided to take a chance and have a third adjustment. My portions were at least twice as big as they should be and I was hungry quite often leading me to snack. While I was still losing the minimum one pound a week, my doctor said I could have an adjustment based on my appetite and portions (if I had been losing more than that it would have been a no go).

So, I went this past Tuesday - almost four months exactly from my surgery, for fill number 3.

It was an entirely different experience this time.

The last two adjustments didn't phase me - I drank clear fluids the day of the adjustment, full fluids the next day, soft foods on day three and was generally back to regular food on day four. My first adjustment showed me now additional restriction, my second one was MUCH better in terms of restriction but as I lost weight (and the fat between my band and stomach) it became time for another.

So, when I had this third adjustment she told me she had added some and felt some resistance indicating, based on her experience, that I would have some swelling. She said she could put more in but thought that would be an overfill so we stopped and I am thankful for that. I was really worried after the first day I was having a hard time just sipping room temperature Water - called her and she explained the following (which is also in a handout they give at each adjustment but I needed to hear it):

This adjustment caused swelling which can take up to two weeks to subside completely. I could potentially be on fluids for a week this time but if I am not back on solids withing two weeks to call (or call before then for any reason). She told me she had a patient a couple of weeks ago that couldn't make it through the swelling stage and had some Fluid taken out, a couple days later she called as she had no restriction again. She told me it was up to me how to proceed - I could hang on and work through it (assuming I was getting fluids in) or come in for an unfill. I am sticking it out and was able to start some full fluids today (day four). We both think this will lead me to good restriction at the end of the two week healing phase. Wish me luck.

Also, my understanding is the first fill is basically just to give you some practice chewing well, slowly. The second fill is the one where you learn even better habits (again, the chewing) and can feel what will happen if you don't do what you should. The third is where the band is actually putting some pressure on your stomach and somewhere between the third and fifth is hopefully where you reach your "sweet spot". What do you think?

Anyway, wanted to thank you for your input - I weighed it all in my decision, didn't ignore it at all.

Thanks again.