Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band? New to group

my doctor has suggested lap band surgery for me, due to my sleep apnea...she has said that my insurance will cover it due to this...just need to have some reassurance about having it done..thanks so much!

Hi Char, and welcome. I did not have sleep apnea, but I know I have seen many of our members who did, but were eventually able to stop using the machines after they lost weight. I was borderline diabetic, with a strong history of diabetes and heart disease in my family, which is why I got the band. I have lost enough weight now that I am no longer borderline diabetic. Between losing weight and exercising, I am feeling the best I have felt in 20 years.

The lapband is a wonderful tool. But, it is important to remember that it is just that, a tool. One has to be ready to make the commitment to eating better and exercising in order to truly achieve the weight loss you want.

Hi, I am not sure, but I think you need to be so many lbs. over weight and your BMI has to be so much before most insurances will cover. For example, if you are 40+BMI, then your insurance may well cover. If you are 35 to 40 BMI and have a co-morbidity, then your insurance may well cover. I am certain my doc mentioned that sleep apnea isn't a 'co-morbidity'. You might want to check that out. For me, I have a BMI of 37 and I have high BP, high cholesterol (both co-morbidities) and am border line diabetic (a co-morbidity). Either way, I hope you find your answers and can get help! Take care!

thanks! I also have high blood pressure...so we shall see...my doctor gave me a doctor to contact....so I did....thanks so much!

I am looking into lapband surgery to lose 100 + pounds. I have no High blood pressure, or any thing. I have arthritis terribly in my knees and stand on my feet at work cleaning all day. I hope my Ins. will cover most of this and approved my wish list. I can't wait to find out. I have tried all kinds of diets and pres. diet pills. I miss all the work outs I used to do. I'm exhausted nightly after work.. Congrats to all of you who made the band surgery. And good luck to those who are due for a band anytime soon.

Char, I go to Dr Averbach in Catonsville, MD. I've already had my consultant appt. with him and the Dietician,too at his office today. Now, I'm going back to same office to see a Pysch. It is required. I'm very excited and looking fwd to my surgery date sometimes IF my ins approves. I don't know if you're in that area, but thought I'll share this information. I've heard many good things about this place. I am 46 and married. My husband may want to give it a try as well. Good luck.

Doodie

Hi Char and Justdoo

I'm having lapband on 7/23 I'm doing the preop liquid diet right now, I'm very excited hoping this will make it a little easier for me to control my over eatting. My weight is currently at 239 home scale 244 doc scale, but I like mine best. I think if you are ready for a change this is it.

Hi Slim,

Good luck on your surgery!! According to lapbanders, they say they are not as hungry after being banded. I guess it depends on your fill. Unlike Gastric or sleeve, I figured with lap band, we can adjust the fill to lose more weight once it slows down!!! I doubt this would work for everyone. I hope to be banded this year, no hurry. I will need time off from work probably, so have to save up vacation days. I"m a solid person and people don't believe how much I weigh..That's good news for me tho!! LOL But I would feel better getting under 200lbs!!! hehehe

I am soo ready for the change..Doo