Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm thinking of having the lapband done in Mexico because the cost is half as much as the US. Has anyone done this? Does it pose a problem if you need to see a Dr?

Look at the subforum "Doctors and Hospitals" and you will find many opinions and some information about Mexican surgery. Yes, many of us had wonderful experiences there, and quite a few didn't. While you can get highly experienced doctors and, in some cases, better care in Mexico than in the US, you can also find some nightmare stories. Which, by the way, you can also find from some US doctors' patients.

I had a great experience in Mexico and would do it over again in a minute. I have a local fill Dr. that I will be seeing on 6/12. I had absolutely no problems with pain on the journey home several hours by plane and car. Do your research and find someone you feel comfortable with. Then just go for it. You won't regret it.

Sally

I made the decision based on price and efficiency.

Found a great doctor, the price was right, recommendations were great, googled his name with complaints/problems...nothing came up.

A month later I was banded.

I saw a local doc for fills. 2 fills is all it took. Then 2 unfills to stablize my weight.

I'm done!

All in all...the money I spent including transportation, surgery, fills, even gas for getting there and back, and my new wardrobe....still cost me way less than going to a local doc for just the procedure.

Would do it all over again!

I don't see a whole lot of happy people losing a whole lot of weight. A lot of people seem "stuck", hungry, and not losing too fast. Is this the norm, or are these posts unusual?

I'm having surgery in Juarez Mexico with Dr.Rod on 7/22/08 I think it's a great alturnitive for self pay bandsters. anyone else having or had surgery in juarez? anyway, you will make the right decision when the time comes.only you know what feels right to you good luck!!

Grace,

Just wondered when you were banded and how long it took you to reach goal?

I was banded a year ago. I reached goal (150 lbs) earlier this year...but kept losing weight.

I purchased all size 8/ small clothes. But it seems I still drop a pound every month or so. Now my 8s look baggy. Never thought I'd ever get to say that! :thumbup:

I don't see a whole lot of happy people losing a whole lot of weight. A lot of people seem "stuck", hungry, and not losing too fast. Is this the norm, or are these posts unusual?

I can't speak for anyone else. For me, those commercials making viewers belive this lapband goes without hunger...I knew that was as fake as a 3 dollar bill!

For me, I knew I was going to be hungry. I knew I was going to get ill, irritable, angry, hostile, lethargic, tired, fatigued, sleepy, depressed..... I've dieted before and those things just happen with me.

Well, like I suspected, it did happen. And I was miserable. But I made the decision before I was banded...that a time and season of crap would produce the result I desired.

Well, I exceeded my goal and couldn't be happier with the results.

It really depends. You have to look at where people are in their band journey when they post their threads. You also have to pay attention to some of the causes imbedded in the posts.

One thing that you notice on these boards is that people tend to post more in the couple of months after surgery. You will find many, many posters who have just began their journey. There is a time after banding, but before you get restriction where weight loss is hard. You are hungry and the band has not started to work yet. Because people are posting more early in their journey and are looking for answers when there is a bit of a snag, you will find a lot of posts regarding early difficulties. Everyone who has ever been banded has been in this position a couple of times. Our bodies need time to adjust to big changes.

There are also plenty of long timers on the board who have reached goal or have lost and kept off a significant percentage of their weight. It is important to read posts by people who have found success because there are a lot of nuggets of wisdom there. Look in posts for someone who has reached goal and has a lot of posts, click on their name and search through their posts. Chances are even with these people, you will find a couple of posts regarding being stuck, stalled early in the process and you will later see how they got back on track.

There seems to be a recurrent themes among those who do lose and those who have trouble over the long term with the band. In no particular order, they are as follows:

1) Exercise is important. It is rare to see someone not losing (over the long term) when they have built exercise into their life. It is possible to lose weight without exercise, but people with the best success have incorporated it into their lives.

2) Emotional eating is not overcome by the band alone, you have to find a way to work through this if it is an issue for you.

3) There is a balance between too tight and too loose. Once you find the right spot, everything works with you and the journey becomes easy. Sometimes it takes a little patience to get there. Too loose means too hungry. Too tight can also result in a failure to lose weight if you can not eat healthy and there are big physical risks involved as well.

4) Some people sabotage their band. You can see it in a lot of posts where people are not losing. Some examples are eating milkshakes, ice cream regularly or taking in a lot of "slider" foods. Slider foods are foods that pass easily through the band and tend to be empty calories. Sometimes people get into this habit because they keep their bands too tight so normal foods, Proteins or vegetables, do not comfortably go through the band. Grazing can also be a problem.

5) There are band rules which are relatively easy to follow and become second nature over time. Eat high quality, nutritionally rich foods starting with lean Protein and moving on to other foods. Healthy eating is important. Avoid carbonated beverages and items high in sugar/fat (cakes, Cookies, etc.).

I love my band. I was banded by Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana, Mexico and had a perfect experience. I found a great local Ohio fill doctor with inexpensive fills and a good support system. I have lost over half my weight in a little over 4 months. I follow the rules, minimize cheating, exercise daily most days.

The best thing that the band has done for me, is that I am not hungry and I can not overeat. I have been successful with dieting in the past but it was always involving deprivation and ignoring hunger which can't be maintained over the long term. Now that my hunger and capacity are in check, eating healthy has really become a lot easier in the long run. I may not be perfect in following rules, but I make good decisions 90% of the time which is enough to keep me losing.

Even if I never lose another pound, I am a happier, healthier person than I was before. If I have a bad day or two, I don't gain anything. I was scared before I took the plunge but have not regretted it for a moment. I have no doubt it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Will the band work for you? If you are committed over the long term to a different lifestyle and using the band as a tool to help along the way, I have no doubt you can find success.

I can't speak for anyone else. For me, those commercials making viewers belive this lapband goes without hunger...I knew that was as fake as a 3 dollar bill!

I agree, the commercials are a little cheesy and almost make you think the weight falls off by itself. There is still work involved.

Yes, I am still hungry sometimes. If I go an hour after my usual meal time I feel very hungry, sometimes eat too fast and pb. Skipping meals is a definite no no for me because then I seem to stay hungry off and on throughout the day. However, in general I am not hungry if I stay in plan. I am almost never the same hungry as I was pre-band. Pre-band I could be starving and looking around the kitchen for something to hold me over for dinner immediately after work. On a scale of 1 to 10, I could reach about an 8 (i could eat a horse) on a daily basis. Now, unless I am not eating on time, maybe it is only about a 4 (a yogurt would take the edge off).

Hunger for me is now manageable with the band.

Thank you for all that information. It helps a lot. Maybe you can help me with this one....What if you need a Dr. right away, possibly an emergency. I have heard several times that a Dr. in the U.S. won't touch you if you've had surgery in Mexico.

Hi - I am new to this forum- i read that you went to Dr. Corvala. Did you go to him through Belite Weight (Joanne Narayan)? How was your experience? I am still debating whether to have the lapband or the gastric sleeve with Dr. Corvala. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Hi - how did your surgery go with Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez? Did you go through Joanne Narayan of Beliteweight? How was your whole experience? I am from Toronto, Canada and have so many fears regarding flying all the way to Mexico. Beliteweight has Dr. Corvala from Tijuana or Dr. Rod at Juarez and am debating between the two. Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!

Hi - how did your surgery go with Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez? Did you go through Joanne Narayan of Beliteweight? How was your whole experience? I am from Toronto, Canada and have so many fears regarding flying all the way to Mexico. Beliteweight has Dr. Corvala from Tijuana or Dr. Rod at Juarez and am debating between the two. Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!

My date is 7-22-08 w/Dr. Rod, Jessica is helping me, so far she's been great. She is right on time whenever I have a question, she E-mails or calls with very little wait. I like that because I always have alot of questions. If she doesn't have the answer she'll get it and get right back to me. I'll let you know how it goes in mexico.