Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved and jumping through the hoops Help

Today is day 10 of my pre-op,:cursing: high Protein mostly liquid diet. I've done pretty darn good up until 3 hours ago. I've lost 11 pounds and have truly stuck to this except for two bites of hot dog 2 nights ago. Tonight we went to some friends house and I forgot to bring my Water, my Soup and an Optifast drink. I wAS craving normal food so bad that I just ate. I didn't over eat but I ate. I ate 2 chicken drumettes with terriyaki sauce, some homemade mac and cheese, 2 chips with salsa, and 1 bite of a bratt dipped in mustard plus a couple glasses of red wine..... Is this the end of the world????? I hope not......How does a person just give up food completely....I m a cook who loves to cook this is the whole reason I am going for the lap band instead of the gastric bypass...if I want a glass of wine I should be able to have one....I don't want to live on warm cottage cheese the rest of my life.... I want variety...just in small portions. Day 10 of my liquid diet has been a complete failure..... but.... is it really? Has anybody else ever slipped off their pre-op liquid diet? I need some support here :thumbup:

Thanks in advance

Heidi in Eastern Washingtn

It is ok.You will make it. I did the same thing. Just try to hang in there. I was banded it March of 2008. Yes you will be able to have the regular food again. Right now I am on chicken fish and vegetables. Good luck. For me it is the single best thing I have done. To think I did this for me.

OK...first, get back to your pre-op diet. We all mess up a little on the pre-op diet. It sucks, and it is hard, but get back on it.

Next, I hope you realize you are not going to be living a non-alcoholic life, eating only warm cottage cheese after your surgery. Yes...it will be that way for about 6 weeks post-op (depending on the instructions from your surgeon). I am almost 5 months post-op, and I eat whatever I want, just in very small quantities. I'll be honest, there are foods that I cannot eat...most breads, pastas, rice, pancakes, biscuits and cakes. They just don't work for me. They get stuck in my band, and it hurts. Do I miss them? Yes. Do I miss the 40 pounds I lost since my surgery more? No. I'll take the weight loss over the bread, any day! If I want a glass of wine, or a margarita...no problem. I'll indulge every once in a while. It is all trial and error. There is nothing you will be told you cannot eat. You will try it, and see what works for you. I actually eat better now than before surgery, because I am not eating all that nonfat and lowfat crap. I eat very small portions of whatever I want. It is much healthier and more satisfying.

Wow Your post was soooo encouraging!! Thank you!! I've still been having a glass or 2 of wine but when I have I cut out one or two of my Protein Drinks or Protein bar...... My surgery is schedued for June 11. You have described exactly why i opted for the band instead of the bypass. If I want a glass of wine or a long island iced tea then I can have it with out throwing up. I can eat what ever I want just in small (super small) quantities. Where are you from? I am from eastern washington.....close to spokane

hoping you want to keep in touch

Heidi