Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Callaway Gardens Walking Challenge

Guest Leslie2Lose

Guest Leslie2Lose

I posted this on our main thread, but thought I'd start a new one just for the walk.

Sunday, November 16th, the March of Dimes is hosting a walk at Callaway Gardens. The tentative cost is $16.00 per person. The walk will be through the Festival of Lights at the Gardens. This is a great opportunity for us to get our exercise in as well as give us a goal to work towards.

Jeannie, Holly and I have started a walking group. We are meeting at 5:15 at Darton College and walking the trails. Yesterday we estimated we walked about 2.5 miles. If you live in Albany or in town at that time, meet us to walk! We haven't started a schedule yet, but I guess we can keep up with that on the boards here.

Hey Leslie,

I can't walk with you guys at Darton, but the Callaway Garden Walk sounds good. Is it like a walking marathon or just a walk? How many miles is the walk? What time does the walk start?

I'm not even sure I could go, but I want to if I can. It is definitely for a good cause.

Guest Leslie2Lose

It is a walk through the lights. I've ridden through them before, but never walked. I'd say it is at least five miles. It is hilly and has plenty of turns - absolutely breathtaking though. I don't think it is a marathon - just a walk. I'm sure there are those who run it...If I were to try to even run 50 yards I'd have a heart attack. I think we have plenty of time to plan something. The cost of staying overnight it quite steap. It is about 1 1/2 hours from here - northeast of Columbus. We could leave in the morning and caravan there.

It is a walk through the lights. I've ridden through them before, but never walked. I'd say it is at least five miles. It is hilly and has plenty of turns - absolutely breathtaking though. I don't think it is a marathon - just a walk. I'm sure there are those who run it...If I were to try to even run 50 yards I'd have a heart attack. I think we have plenty of time to plan something. The cost of staying overnight it quite steap. It is about 1 1/2 hours from here - northeast of Columbus. We could leave in the morning and caravan there.

That's a good idea, we could just carpool and everyone give some money for gas. Maybe some of the others will join in. I hope I am able to go because it sounds like a lot of fun!

Guest Leslie2Lose

It would be nice to get everyone involved. Maybe coordinate with Dr. B's office and they could hand out flyers. Hopefully in the next couple months we can get the support group going with the help of Leslie at the OTC. Hand them out there as well. Holly even mentioned yesterday, when we were talking about it, that maybe we could hit Dr. B. up for T-shirts. I think it would be a lot of fun too!!!

It would be nice to get everyone involved. Maybe coordinate with Dr. B's office and they could hand out flyers. Hopefully in the next couple months we can get the support group going with the help of Leslie at the OTC. Hand them out there as well. Holly even mentioned yesterday, when we were talking about it, that maybe we could hit Dr. B. up for T-shirts. I think it would be a lot of fun too!!!

Great ideas! Sounds like so much fun!

Count me in girls! I can't wait! I love to go see the lights and this sounds like even more fun!

I need to get busy working out if I am going to be able to walk 5 miles and keep up with everyone else, lol. I usually work out on the elliptical, maybe I should do the treadmill for a while since the muscles used are different....

Guest Leslie2Lose

I still really want to do this walk in November. I'm going to contact them (March of Dimes & Callaway Gardens) next week. Hopefully they'll have specifics on the cost/times and more information than they did a couple of months ago. Maybe we can get in touch with Dr. Bagnato's office to get word out and their support.

There is a main thread that is participating in Couch to 5k training program. Georgia is doing it and I'm starting today. It'll be great training for the Callaway Gardens walk. Does anyone want to join us?

Below is a link with information about the training program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This certainly does sound interesting. I've never been there. When you get the info be sure sure to post it, maybe I'll be able to work it out.

Leslie~ You know I am all for it. It sounds like a lot of fun and it's for such a worthy cause. I'm really excited that you are doing C25K with me. So, hopefully it will work out to where we can all go.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Okay - I have an update on the March of Dimes Walk at Callaway Gardens. The cost will be appx $16.00. I spoke to Linda at the March of Dimes and she said that Callaway Gardens has changed the date to Sunday, November 16th.

Tickets must be purchased through the March of Dimes. Once we get a consensus of who is going we can e-mail her and she'll send us the information along with the price...we send her the money and she will in return send us the tickets. They cannot be purchased at Callaway Gardens.

I say we Carpool. I'm sure we'll get in late. I'm not sure the time it will start. As soon as I know more I'll post.

Count me in! Sunday makes it even better, Saturdays are ususally crazy at work but i know i can always do thngs on sunday

Guest Leslie2Lose

Is anyone still interested in doing the walk next month? If so let me know and I'll contact them to see about prices, hours, etc.?