Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Spasms -- Help!

I was banded on 2/4/08. Have felt fine since. Last week, I made a stupid mistake -- I drank a cold drink on an empty stomach. My esophagus went into spasms (diagnosed by my gastro doc), and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Terrible pain right between my breast bone and it lasted for 3-hours. I almost went to the emergency room for a painkiller!

Okay -- so l learned my lesson -- no more cold drinks on an empty stomach -- warm, only.

I had my 3rd fill two days ago. Suddenly today, after having a hot mushie, I started feeling a bit of pain -- ever so slight -- in my esophagus. I can feel it now and it's a few hours after I ate dinner and I don't understand what's going on. I have restriction, but I haven't aggravated anything -- have been sticking to bandster rules. It's just a little twinge -- it could be heartburn, but I haven't had any heartburn since my surgery.

Could I be filled too much? I have 6.8 cc in a 10cc band and this was only my 3rd fill.

Help! Any and all advice appreciated. The fill nurse, who is very experienced, said she's never before heard of a lapband patient getting esophageal spasms.

b.

Sorry to hear that you've had this pain! I wasn't officially diagnosed but diagnosed myself with the same thing twice now.... and related it to cream corn. I too was close to going to the ER. Terrible pain it was!! Both times I had cc for supper and the pain didn't start until around 1pm the next day.

Hope your stops soon!!

So how do you know what it's related to? How do you know if you've had an overfill? I can relate the first instance to drinking something too cold on an empty stomach, but this second time -- I really can't relate it to anything I can think of. I'm starting to get paranoid -- how can I be sure I don't have a slip? How does one know if one has an overfill? This is only my third fill. Can one have an overfill with just the third fill? I have 6.9cc in a 10cc band.

b.

i've had several of these spasms since being banded...so here's my $.02:

It seems to me that as my GI system gets used to a new level of restriction I am more prone to a spasm. These spasms are not to be confused with the feeling of being 'stuck'! They are not the same thing. Spasms are 10x worse than your worst stuck episode! The pain is much more sharp and widespread at the same time (doesn't make much sense, does it!?).

Anyway...i think the lesson is that when you get a new fill, don't be shocked if you have one of these spasms after eating something spicy, hot and greasy like chili. Especially if you eat too fast or too much of it. If you've had a stressful day on top of that then you are really toast! LOL

Relaxation and deep breathing are the quickest and most effective cure for me....but mine have not been terribly serious or long lasting.

I think you're onto something here. I agree that it's probably due to my new fill. I'm tight right now, but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. The spasm pain went away today (thank goodness), and hopefully, I won't see it again. It was the most painful thing I think I've ever experienced and it lasted for a good 3-hours straight. I was just about crawling the walls in pain. It's very different from getting stuck and it's very different from having heartburn or anything like that. It's pure agony and it's unrelenting. Ugh.

Thanks for the info. and support and let's hope that none of us ever have one of these again.

b.

It's hard to breathe, isn't it? And when you're scared your DYING it's pretty hard to relax! But those are the two things that help me the most. If I can, I go lay down.

The first time I ever had one of these things I was 19 years old! I was on all 4s gripping my chest and breathlessly telling my mom to call 911! She blew me off!!! LOL Moms are wise.

I've had some similar experiences. They have typically happened in the evening when I'm at home (I think I'm more careful when I'm out in public.) Like Terry suggested, I find the most relief when I lay down. It usually takes a couple hours before I really feel better (my guess is the time it take for the food to digest.)

Edited by Kellymovingon
Typo

I knew I wasn't having a heart attack because I'd had an esophagial spasm before and it was diagnosed as such. Still, the pain is absolutely crippling and I wish I could figure out what sets it off, so I know not to do it in the future! My gastro doc wants me taking one Prilosec every morning and she also prescribed Nitroglyceran, which is a medication that goes under the tongue and stops it in its tracks. Still, I'm upset that this is happening and I'd like to know what sets it off in ME. I'm convinced that drinking cold first thing in the morning is one thing that sets it off, but there must be something else that sets it off too. In any case, I'm trying to just live my life and eat the right things and not worry about it -- but the pain when it comes on is absolutely crippling.

b.

Wow, I don't think I have experienced anything quite to that degree, it sounds awful though. Ever since I got my very first fill, I have not been able to drink anything cold. Everything has to be room temperature or it is very uncomfortable and even painful for me. However, the pain usually subsides within 30 minutes max.

I seem to be able to drink cold -- just not first thing in the morning. I'll never do that again!

Believe me, you'd know it if you had an esophagus spasm. Chances are you've not had one, otherwise you'd be able to identify with the pain. It's intolerable -- sheer agony. Be thankful you don't have this. I'm hoping it never happens to me again!

b.